Vernon Elliot

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you so much for that picture of Vern. I have heard so many great things about this American road warrior. FINALLY, I get to see what he looks like! :p

You know EXACTLY what the inquiring minds back home want to see, DerekDisco. Thanks again! :)

JAM

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
Unlike the other retired legends in other sports, ex: jordan, babe ruth, jim brown, jerry west etc, we can't pop in a tape and watch vernon elliot highlights. I really do wish that I coulda been around while he was playing. But I can visualize the millions of stories I've been told, which can be just as good at times when told right. Tomorrow nights hall of fame dinner should be great, and vernon will be a part of that.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
derekdisco said:
Unlike the other retired legends in other sports, ex: jordan, babe ruth, jim brown, jerry west etc, we can't pop in a tape and watch vernon elliot highlights. I really do wish that I coulda been around while he was playing. But I can visualize the millions of stories I've been told, which can be just as good at times when told right. Tomorrow nights hall of fame dinner should be great, and vernon will be a part of that.

In an era when SOME within pool's own culture stereotype pool players as "bums," "losers," "low-down hustlers," which I have read on pool-related forums, it is quite refreshing to read about the celebration of American road warriors like Vernon. I have heard MANY stories about this gentleman, and I am looking forward to reading all about his induction into the OnePocket.org's Hall of Fame.

It must be a thrill for him to be recognized, especially in the autumn of his life. It is the players like Vernon who make up the very fabric of American pool. God bless them all!

JAM

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re:Vernon Elliott

It's disapointing not to be there for my buddy Vernon's HOF induction but for those that are you will be in for a real treat. Observe how people crowd around Vernon including all the pros whose names you recognize and have become familiar with. It will be obvious, just as it was when he was playing, that Vernon is THE REAL DEAL and everyone else is playing for 2nd place!

T-dog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jimmy-leggs said:
never heard of him.can anyone give us a story of this road warrior? PLEASE

You dont need to have heard of him, check out some of the bank shots that he shot in his heyday that are diagrammed in Freddy's book. Words cant express how awesome those shots are

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
When I was living in Chattanooga I heard many stories about Him. I thought that he may have been a "Local Legend". Then when I moved to Knoxville and saw the look on peoples faces when his name was mentioned, I was Impressed. Now in Tri-Cities, Recently a highly accomplished Player told me about advanced instruction they had received from another player. Wouldn't you know that her mentor was mentored by Vernon Elliott.

It seems evident that he was not only an unbelievable player but also a gifted teacher.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jimmy-leggs said:
never heard of him.can anyone give us a story of this road warrior? PLEASE
I have posted many of Vernon's stories on one pocket.org to aquaint people who didn't know about him. Go to their website and type Vernon Elliott in their search section.

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I met Vernon in Sanford NC in the 80's. He was traveling w/ a younger Mexican whose name escapes me. We ended up partying in Greensboro & had a mighty large time. I ran around with a player from Louisville named Gary Hammond AKA "GROUNDHOG" & heard many Vernon Elliot & Truman stories & it was a treat to meet him several years later. My only regret is I didn't get to steer him.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
vern

Ive heard thousands of stories about this man and not once has the credibility of the story been questioned when I repeat it to a Pro or someone that has ran with Vernon. Shot for shot I believe that Efren couldnt get there.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
daniel said:
I met Vernon in Sanford NC in the 80's. He was traveling w/ a younger Mexican whose name escapes me. We ended up partying in Greensboro & had a mighty large time. I ran around with a player from Louisville named Gary Hammond AKA "GROUNDHOG" & heard many Vernon Elliot & Truman stories & it was a treat to meet him several years later. My only regret is I didn't get to steer him.

This thread sure does bring back memories.

The pool room in Greensboro in the '80s, was it "Baker's," advertising the best hot dogs in North Carolina?

BTW, this is the first post I have read on this forum where somebody actually knew Groundhog. I remember him well. ;)

My favorite pool room of all times was in Winston-Salem, NC, which had two wooden swinging doors in the front like a saloon, a challenge table as soon as you walked in, and in those days, they had a rack boy. When the game concluded, the breaker would yell out "Rack," and the kid with an apron would come up and rack the balls for a quarter.

JAM

Snap9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vernon vs. Efren

derekdisco said:
Ive heard thousands of stories about this man and not once has the credibility of the story been questioned when I repeat it to a Pro or someone that has ran with Vernon. Shot for shot I believe that Efren couldnt get there.

As the legend goes. The story as I can recall it. Efren was messing around in Vernon's stomping ground. Barking for some action. So someone said they had a player to match up with him. The person comes back in with Vernon. Regardless, Efren started shaking his head no. Efren wanted no piece of Vernon, since Vernon already had beaten Efren once or twice. I don't believe Efren would have played Vernon no matter what Vernon would have offered Efren as a spot. Unfortunately I don't recall what Vernon offered him, but Efren refused to play Vernon.

That is what I call strong.

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Jam, Main action poolroom in Greensboro was the colliseum. Unfortunately "GHETTO STEVE" burned it down while sleeping there after a bout with LUDES. My best friend Marc Heaton owned the playroom on Tate St. & hosted several tournaments, one of which Jerry Brock won. Lots of action there in the 80's & countless road men always coming thru. I've got tons of funny stories but my typing skills are limited & most of them would get sensored anyway.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
daniel said:
Hey Jam, Main action poolroom in Greensboro was the colliseum. Unfortunately "GHETTO STEVE" burned it down while sleeping there after a bout with LUDES.

I think I must have breezed through there AFTER it burned down. Funny thing is the road agent I was traveling with had been to Greensboro before, and he drove right up to what he thought was the pool room when we arrived in Greensboro. We got out of the car, walked in the front door, and just like in the movie "The Color of Money," the place that he thought was THE pool room in Greensboro was now a furniture store. As I recall, there was a Greek restaurant across the street. LOL :D

We proceeded to look around, drove through the college part of town, and asked the locals where the pool room was. We were then directed to this pool room which boasted of the best hot dogs in the Tarheel State. I always remember the cuisine better than the names. However, Groundhog was definitely there at this joint engaged in action upon our arrival with Seattle Sam. It was the first time I ever saw grown men climbing up on the table on all fours to make a shot. Seeing Seattle Sam, a fairly large man, on all fours, like a dog, with one leg straight up in the air was funny, funny, funny! :D

Daniel said:
My best friend Marc Heaton owned the playroom on Tate St. & hosted several tournaments, one of which Jerry Brock won. Lots of action there in the 80's & countless road men always coming thru. I've got tons of funny stories but my typing skills are limited & most of them would get sensored anyway.

I think your typing skills are just fine. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to reading more tales of yesteryear from you. :)

JAM

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure about the Vernon/Efren potential matchup but I will ask Vernon when he returns from DCC. I do know that Nick Varner was in Chattanooga looking for action in the mid 80's when he was already a world champion and was being steered by a local for something in the neighborhood of $5K sets. They went to a local action room and asked the owner if he knew of anyone who may match up for that amount with Nick giving reasonable weight. The owner made a few calls and told Nick and his backer that he had located a local player that would play him but he wouldn't play for less than $10K a set. Nick asked who this local player was and the room owner asked him what difference does it make since you're a world champion. Nick said it didn't really matter but he would like to know anyway so the owner said it was Vernon Elliott. After Nick conferred with his backer he told the owner that he would rather not play Vernon at all but if he did he would have to have at least the 8 ball. Vernon wouldn't give the 8 except for some "serious" money so the match never happened.

foxx333

Registered
Verron Elliot

Does anyone remember Verron's nick name he used it for many years??
Burnie
I've known Verron since I was 16 about 40 years ago now
One hell of a pool player and teacher
The Foxx

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vernon Elliott

Almost everyone in Chattanooga knew Vernon by his road name "Bernie". In fact many didn't know who Vernon Elliott was.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Does anyone here know Monroe Jones?

He's a heckuva player around here in Arkansas. I got a chance to spend some time with him a month or 2 ago and he talked a blue streak about Vernon Elliot training him for about 8-9 months, back in the day.

He said that Vernon had passed away a few years ago? Is this true?

I know one thing, Monroe Jones is stout. I've watched him play maybe only a dozen times, but he's absolutely carved up every single person I've seen......except one. And that was a British guy who appeared out of nowhere at one of our tournaments, and since no one knew him......ended up being grossly underrated. Monroe just couldn't outrun his handicap, even tho he did win more games than the Brit. In an even match, Jones would have walked over the guy.

I do wish I had gotten to spend some time with Vernon. I'm going to ask Monroe about him the next time I get a chance.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, afew of us here in Chattanooga got to know Monroe pretty well. As a matter of fact, Vernon and I bought Monroe in a calcutta during a tournament at Charlie's Billiards in Soddy Daisy, Tn which is near Chattanooga. Monroe placed second, I believe, and Vernon and I both won some money. Monroe will remember because it made him real nervous that Vernon had such confidence in him. Really like Monroe and hate that he isn't around anymore.