View Single Post
Progress update
Old
  (#8)
martin35
AzB Silver Member
martin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond reputemartin35 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Progress update - 11-20-2018, 07:54 AM

Guys

Ive decided to leave the frame alone for now and begin to do some work on my rails. Here is some pictures of what Ive done yet :

-Recut the face of the sub-rail to remove the old snooker cushion. Ive used a sled on my table saw to be able to adjust my cut parallel to the featherstrip groove.
-Reinstall the rail on the slate and resurface the top of the subrail at 1-11/16 high with my router.
-Made new subrail nose out of poplar, glued and doweled.
-Recut the cloth relief
-Repair the broken tab on a side casting
-Reinstall the rails square on the slate to mark my pocket opening at the right angle than extend them to the proper length (Ive decided to go 4-3/4 for corners and 5-1/4 on the side with 1/8 facing (with facing I can go down to 4-1/2 - 5)
-I have one cushion installed yet. This step was making me nervous because of the unforgiveness of contact cement. Surprisingly working with 3M Scotch-Weld for the first time went pretty well since it allows slight repositioning of your work if you do not apply too much pressure. The result is not 100% perfect but Im satisfied.

Like I said, I know that the result is not perfect but Im satisfied so far. For me it is the more challenging part of the whole project and Im learning a ton of stuff. BTW, thanks to the great contributors sharing knowledge on this forum, without them it would have been impossible to undertake this project.

Next steps :

-Install remaining cushions
-Install cushion facing

Thanks for watching, comments are welcome.

Martin
Attached Images