I love Danny Diliberto but this commentary is brutal.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
In the words of my late Father...you'll miss me when I'm gone.

Danny-isms of note:
  1. He took the least path to Snookerdom
  2. He's mad at his backer
  3. He's mad at his wallet
  4. etc

Nick

Here are a couple more.

"It takes allot of work to make things look that easy"
"This guy loves getting them almost in"

Danny D for president.;)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a couple more.

"It takes allot of work to make things look that easy"
"This guy loves getting them almost in"

Danny D for president.;)

One of my favorits
Referring to Johnny Irish who people who saw him play often had outrageous stories about him. "The longer he is dead, the better he plays".

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Danny. He's up in age. Besides what does Pool Tournaments need top rated announcer for. Just read the crap in the Chat. Pool isn't even listed anywhere as being compared to anything. Down there with 1 legged figure skating. LOL. 1 Pocket. LOL!! You'll never see pool up to Danny's era ever again. Except in rooms that are diversifying.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
keep the danny-isms flowing!

he's gonna grind some gears from time to time but at the end of the day he's a beauty and his stories are priceless

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
keep the danny-isms flowing!

he's gonna grind some gears from time to time but at the end of the day he's a beauty and his stories are priceless

It may not be original to Danny,

When someone fires a bullet into the pocked at warp speed

"Well that didn't roll off"

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen guys, I love Danny to bits, he's a good guy and I respect him, he used to make good calls when he was younger, but right now it's out of hand. I'm sorry but 70% of the stuff he says are either incorrect, or not doable. he has a TV next to him, the same one that I am watching, and some of the stuff he says just don't make sense...

...And what troubles me more, is Mike sitting next to him and he feels so intimidated that he is scared to death to correct him, only because he is Danny doesn't mean you can't correct him.

Also one thing that I don't like, is when Danny goes "what is he doing, I don' like this shot, my shot is the right one" When in fact his shot isnt even there, either he seeing it wrong or its just not doable due to angle or something along these lines.
s

I have to agree with you, and the OP's evaluation of DD as a one pocket commentator, and his shot selection is not much better at 9/10 ball either !..He may have played good straight pool, but he is really horrible at trying to pick the right shot in any other game !

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I have to agree with you, and the OP's evaluation of DD as a one pocket commentator, and his shot selection is not much better at 9/10 ball either !..He may have played good straight pool, but he is really horrible at trying to pick the right shot in any other game !

I can't tell if it's his eyes that's failing him though. He's constantly saying "he scratched" when they didn't. Or the object ball is 4" down the rail from the side pocket and he'll insist they play it off the point.

I'm sure he was a great player but something isn't working right anymore.

An old boss of mine sort of liked pool and said he was watching pool on TV years ago. He said, "I couldn't watch anymore the old drunk guy on the mic was driving me crazy."

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I have a really hard time listening to Danny.

I do as well. I buy a fair amount of streams but I am at the point where I just can't listen to someone be wrong about so many shots or where a ball is going that I just find something else to do if he is going to be in the booth.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I buy a stream I do it to watch the top players play. NOT to hear someone talk about what shots they should be shooting next, what shot they should have shot or why they missed the shot they shot! I pretty much mute ALL the commentary on streams, be they legends of the game or not!! I usually ignore the chats too. There is always three or four idiots that disrupt the conversation and try and hijack it. F that!

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that if you knew Danny you could understand why you might not like him. Not everyone does. Sometimes he rubs you the wrong way. Sometimes he overides your opinion by one of his own. He wont argue with you. He will just tell you like it is and how he feels about it. You dont agree then fine.
But one thing you will come away with is that he is brutal. Brutally honest that is. I mean a man that has been through what he has and accomplished the things that he has doesnt have to explain himself. You either like him or not.
I think disagreeing with a opinionated commentator is fine. But I find that those who use words like terrible dont even come close to the knowledge Danny has or has accomplished anything close to what he has done. In tournament play or on the road.
Those who cry "terrible" I feel just dont know what it is to be in the position that Diliberto has climbed to. Try it sometime and see how many of us just turn you out.
I dont mind people not liking Danny but I know many in the know who do.
I dont like watching Shane Van Boening. I think he personally is unappealing and not my cup of tea. But I have tons of respect for him and would get his DVDs just to watch his talent. I dont like Mika either but I have many of his DVD's. Why because I love the game. I dont have to love a player nor a commentator. Neither do you. But if you dont respect their accomplishments then its says more about you than them.
Actually I know Danny pretty well. He is a great guy and role model. If you knew half of the battles that hes had on the road and with life you would just stand amazed. It is one's loss that they would never know a man like him. Just imagine living in a perfect world with a perfect commentator to a pool match. You would just be listening to yourself. And thats sad.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that if you knew Danny you could understand why you might not like him. Not everyone does. Sometimes he rubs you the wrong way. Sometimes he overides your opinion by one of his own. He wont argue with you. He will just tell you like it is and how he feels about it. You dont agree then fine.
But one thing you will come away with is that he is brutal. Brutally honest that is. I mean a man that has been through what he has and accomplished the things that he has doesnt have to explain himself. You either like him or not.
I think disagreeing with a opinionated commentator is fine. But I find that those who use words like terrible dont even come close to the knowledge Danny has or has accomplished anything close to what he has done. In tournament play or on the road.
Those who cry "terrible" I feel just dont know what it is to be in the position that Diliberto has climbed to. Try it sometime and see how many of us just turn you out.
I dont like watching Shane Van Boening. I think he personally is unappealing and not my cup of tea. But I have tons of respect for him and would get his DVDs just to watch his talent. I dont like Mika either but I have many of his DVD's. Why because I love the game. I dont have to love a player nor a commentator. Neither do you. But if you dont respect their accomplishments then its says more about you than them.
Actually I know Danny pretty well. He is a great guy and role model. If you knew half of the battles that hes had on the road and with life you would just stand amazed. It is one's loss that they would never know a man like him. Just imagine living in a perfect world with a perfect commentator to a pool match. You would just be listening to yourself. And thats sad.
Tap tap tap
Chuck

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Nobody dislikes him, nobody is denying his pool talents and past accomplishments, they just want an announcer who does the job well. Not every baseball player or football gets an announcer gig when they retire, they must be good at it and prove themselves.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody dislikes him, nobody is denying his pool talents and past accomplishments, they just want an announcer who does the job well. Not every baseball player or football gets an announcer gig when they retire, they must be good at it and prove themselves.
Wishful thinking here in St. Louis.

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few commentators who should not be in the booth. I muted many matches . At least DD was good some years back. Age creeps up on you and Pat is giving him a chance at the viewer's expense.

I liked Billy I, Jeremy Jones, Jay H, Scott Frost, John Schmidt, enjoyed Fred Agnir, Beav and JCIN even tho they were amuteurs. Just to name a few.

Others never take a breath, and talk about everything under the sun during the match. Others are just full of old cliches. That is what you get for cheap and free streams.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny argued after game 3 of SVB/Reyes that Shane (breaking game 4) would get to break 2 more times...in a race to 3.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Danny is not unaware of this. He tells a funny story of going fishing with Mike Sigel. Sigel drove him crazy talking about himself for the whole time.
Danny got a good dose of what he can be like himself.

If you know him you know the story. You can't really tell DiLiberto stories though because you have to hear them from him. He has such great comic delivery he could have been on the stage in another life.

He can tell the simplest story of something that just happened to him say, at the bank and it is hysterical.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I don't see what the big deal is !!!

He isn't trying to deceive anyone.
He corrects himself after he can see it turn out different.
And he takes it in stride.

Thank you for your good feedback for Danny D mostly.
And your constructive criticism.

We need to hang on to Danny as long as we can !

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

He isn't trying to deceive anyone.
He corrects himself after he can see it turn out different.
And he takes it in stride.

Thank you for your good feedback for Danny D mostly.
And your constructive criticism.

We need to hang on to Danny as long as we can !

Exactly... he loves to poke fun at himself, plus he was a boxer early in life, so the melon may be slightly compromised.:wink: