Funny pic/gif thread...

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Exactly...

It all depends on the pace of traffic. If traffic is at a crawl, then it would be completely wasteful and inefficient to NOT use the entire merge lane. Simply fill the entire merge lane a "zipper in" like civilized drivers.

However, if traffic is fast-paced then safety becomes the primary issue and it's best to merge as soon as you have the opportunity to do so safely.

If people are too stupid to know that they should stay in the lane till the end and zipper in and that preventing people from zippering in only slows you down, too bad.

Jaden

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I always let ONE car in front of me, like a zipper. If a second car tries to cut in after the ONE I allow in, I won't let it. If a car tries to cut around by changing lanes, I won't let it. If a car gets 5 feet or less off my bumper, expecting me to pull out of the fast lane, they are mistaken. I will slow down, and continue slowing down until they are so pissed they change lanes to come see me. At this point they see my badge and suddenly they don't want to screw around anymore. I know, I'm lucky in some ways. It's bad to road rage, but we all have our moments.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Curious, how many fatals have you responded to?

Why? This is about letting people merge, which by the way you don't have to do. There is no law that says you have to let anyone merge in front of you. It is courteous to allow someone in front of you, therefore ONE car is allowed to merge in front of me. If they hesitate then they go behind. That's the way I drive. No accidents in 31 years, I think I'm doing it right. Actually I know I am.

:thumbup:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Why? Like I said, curious.

You mention the badge and you talk about road rage. Simply wondering if you are new on the job and it hasn't affected you or you've been on the job and you are jaded.

Not all road rage is left on the ramp.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? This is about letting people merge, which by the way you don't have to do. There is no law that says you have to let anyone merge in front of you. It is courteous to allow someone in front of you, therefore ONE car is allowed to merge in front of me. If they hesitate then they go behind. That's the way I drive. No accidents in 31 years, I think I'm doing it right. Actually I know I am.

:thumbup:
Google says you are wrong: there are laws re:merging.

All the police dept I've worked with hold their drivers to a much higher driving standard than the average citizen. I would not say your behavior is you doing everything reasonable to prevent a potential loss.

Vehicular incidents are the biggest liability all jurisdictions face.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Google says you are wrong: there are laws re:merging.

All the police dept I've worked with hold their drivers to a much higher driving standard than the average citizen. I would not say your behavior is you doing everything reasonable to prevent a potential loss.

Vehicular incidents are the biggest liability all jurisdictions face.

Actually there are no laws regarding merging. There are laws regarding right of way.
The person already in the lane has the right of way. Anyone merging into said lane does not. It is very simple. I think there is confusion from my first post, and I'm kinda sorry for that. I will explain better. While driving if some dillweed decides to try to cut me off, ride my bumper, drive in a crazy or dangerous manner and I have the opportunity to badge them, I will. This causes usually three things to happen;

1. The dillweed slows downs,

2. The dillweed stops diving like a jack@ss,

3. The dillweed disappears, changes lanes, exits.

This is beneficial for everyone else because;

1. The dillweed is no longer a threat to me or the other drivers on the road,

2. The dillweed benefits because he doesn't kill or injure anyone else.

Not once has the dillweed been in an accident after I have badged them, not once.

I understand some might not like the method I use, but it works. It achieves the goal of getting someone to stop driving that way, instantly. Sure I get mad when I see it happen, it's dangerous and someone could get hurt or killed. That's why I have a duty to try to stop it if given the opportunity. You may not believe it, but it "works for me". :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't bug you further with it. LEO is difficult enough job without the internet.
Actually there are no laws regarding merging. There are laws regarding right of way.
The person already in the lane has the right of way. Anyone merging into said lane does not. It is very simple. I think there is confusion from my first post, and I'm kinda sorry for that. I will explain better. While driving if some dillweed decides to try to cut me off, ride my bumper, drive in a crazy or dangerous manner and I have the opportunity to badge them, I will. This causes usually three things to happen;

1. The dillweed slows downs,

2. The dillweed stops diving like a jack@ss,

3. The dillweed disappears, changes lanes, exits.

This is beneficial for everyone else because;

1. The dillweed is no longer a threat to me or the other drivers on the road,

2. The dillweed benefits because he doesn't kill or injure anyone else.

Not once has the dillweed been in an accident after I have badged them, not once.

I understand some might not like the method I use, but it works. It achieves the goal of getting someone to stop driving that way, instantly. Sure I get mad when I see it happen, it's dangerous and someone could get hurt or killed. That's why I have a duty to try to stop it if given the opportunity. You may not believe it, but it "works for me". :)

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
+1

If people are too stupid to know that they should stay in the lane till the end and zipper in and that preventing people from zippering in only slows you down, too bad.

Jaden

This is absolutely correct. Zippering is proven to be best. The only reason it isn't even more effective is there are people with kindergarten mentalities that consider people merging at the merge sign to be "budging".

We're not going to settle anything here, we're all going to keep doing what we're doing. Just wanted to reply so you knew you weren't alone in your bewilderment that this is still a debate.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
The latest MENSA candidate.

32135.jpg

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The latest MENSA candidate.

View attachment 494107

Has anyone else noticed that that look on her face is the same as so many others in that group? I know several woman lefties and they all have that look sometimes. I've seen it for decades, btw.

What is it about that? Is it confusion or stunned disbelief or what? I'm thinking it comes with the territory, but not sure.

Jeff Livingston