The REVO is taking over pool

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
So, at my last tournament there was a sea of REVOs. I was kind of surprised, but people seem to have gotten hold of them in spite of being sold out. There didn't seem to be any connection between having that shaft and finishing high, however. Quite frankly, I'm astonished with how fast it has been adopted and used. Nobody seems to want the wooden Predators anymore, unless they allready own them and cant afford the new wonder.

This does show that there is a market for high priced items in pool, as long as people consider them to be upgrades. However the market for lessons still sucks, as the top players around here are struggling to get even a few clients. Which is a pity, because they know a lot and some are good at teaching as well. Guess people are only interested in buying skill, not working for it.

With the Cuetec coming out, I foresee even more black shafted cues next year. At this rate I wonder if any of my friends will be playing with wooden shafts next year (my friends are mostly serious players). I always felt that carbon was the future of pool, but it's now proving to be the present. Maybe there is a market in snooker as well? I kind of doubt it, but I was wrong about just how quickly the pool world was taken over. I thought it would be at least a year or two longer to see this level of acceptance.

I remember thinking the 314 being a bit of a hyped up shaft when it started to become more widespread. I compared it to my (admittedly shitty) Meucci black dot, and thought the deflection reduction wasn't much to write home about. Whatever advantage there was was only noticeable at speed and the 314 I thought behaved very strangely, suddenly deflecting a lot more at a certain speed, while the Black dot seemed to behave more predictably even with higher deflection. I didn't change until the Z came, which IMO was a genuine improvement, more so than the 314 in the deflection department, but actually was a downgrade in playability. The black dot was garbage, I even thought so then, but I played ok with it. Perhaps the deflection it had suited me better than the Z.

Now there are dozens of shafts that deflect very little, and I'm struggling to see the advantages of the carbon shaft. It feels clumsy to me, numb and I think the jury is still out as to any actual PLAYING improvements provided. So far I haven't seen any in my opponents. It will be interesting to see wether the people who actually bought the REVO will keep them and if their level of skill will change for the better. I still remember the massive unloading of Z shafts about a year after the introduction...People realized they played worse, but it actually took a full year for that to set in. Suddenly you could get a Z for very little money.

Also, it will be interesting to see wether the REVO players playing styles will change. Will they adopt longer bridges, will they play with more sidespin, more offensively maybe? It will be an exciting year for sure and it will be interesting to watch from the sidelines for once, rather than jumping on the bandwagon directly as usual.

Last edited:

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
the Question is: this Guys with Revos won that Tournament:wink:
I still Play full Wood OR IQ Infinity Shafts (Wood with full carbon inside ):grin-square:
RG

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Op:

Don't know where you live and play but in my parts, well, I only know of 3 or 4 out of 80+ players that use a revo.

Out of all the players in my area, there are at most 3 players that most knowledgeable instructors would rate as a solid "A" skill level. The majority, probably 75% of the players are "C-" to "C+" with rest being "B-" to "B" skill level.

The three revos I know of are used by two "C-" player and the third is used by yours truly :p.

Not sure if it's a money issue or people just don't like them here? Either way, the revolutionary has definitely NOT taken pool over here.

I'm sure its different in larger cities. Hell, we don't even have a room worth a chit. Average table at our room has felt that is pushing 8 or 9 years old, if that tells you anything?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This "revolution" is so late in my country that I haven't seen a single player "go black" for that amount of $ and I don't think it will happen in the very near future here unless pool in my country becomes as popular as it is in Poland for example and we reach their level economically... I'm pretty sure it won't happen very soon unfortunately but that is the case when I'm not that sad about this revolution being so late here because if or when the times come it will cost less for those who decides to give it a try I guess. If it helps them to improve dramatically you already mentioned what is definitely of greater importance than just buying a new toy because that pro started to use it or the ads tell or whatever the reason... I'm curious to test c.f. shaft one day though cause it's the only way to have the objective opinion how it plays... like it or not...

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own two custom cues that impress me every time I play with them even after years of owning them. If Revo shafts/cues continue to impact current owners they way that my cues work for me, why worry about it? I support anything that keeps players excited about going to pool halls.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won a big tournament in California after I started playing with a 12.4 Revo. For the first month or two my game definitely improved. Now after 6 months with the Revo it seems I gave back half of that improvement but overall I like it better. Now I can leave my diamond wood butt and Revo shaft in the car trunk all summer long and it won’t warp:)

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
What sorts of playing differences are possible?

pj
chgo

The most noticeable difference with a 'carbon fiber' shaft will be the ability to create extreme spin with the cue ball. As far as deflection though, I don't see much difference between this and a 314 or a Tiger Pro X. Ability to spin though is enhanced which, I believe is due to the density of carbon fiber which, promotes more direct energy from stroke to cue-tip, instead of diffused energy transferred by something less dense such as, wood.

That said, I've also played with several other carbon fiber shafts which are either not on the market yet and/or in the process of R&D. They are all able to create this amazing spin. I don't think it will be long before we see at least 6-12 companies releasing an almost identical product. I also hear that Predator already has a 2nd gen shaft in their back pocket to stay ahead of the game. We'll just have to wait and see.

I still really like my Tiger Pro X and have no plans to switch.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The most noticeable difference with a 'carbon fiber' shaft will be the ability to create extreme spin with the cue ball.
I doubt it. I've tested many shafts that claimed the same thing, and none of the claims turned out to be true.

the density of carbon fiber which, promotes more direct energy from stroke to cue-tip, instead of diffused energy transferred by something less dense such as, wood
In pool terms "more spin" means higher spin-to-speed ratio, and hitting harder (or with higher energy transfer) increases both spin and speed, so the spin-to-speed ratio is unchanged.

There is the advantage of being able to hit a little softer for the same shot, but that's not "more spin" either (and you can get the same change by simply adding a little weight to the cue).

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lack of squirt on a Revo probably feels like more spin but i think its more a case of accurate spin. Also the power is impressive. You definitely drive the cue-ball further with less effort. I tried both shaft sizes and really couldn't tell much difference. For me personally there's not enough difference for me to stop using my Mezz 700 shaft. I've gotten used to it and like the feel/sound a lot better. I don't see CF shafts "taking over" but they are carving out their own niche and that's cool.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I think convenience trumps all. If the prices get driven down the other benefits become compelling.

– no need to worry about warpage for the most part and warranty BS shenanigans
– no need to worry about shaft getting dirty
– no need to worry about dings
– variances between shafts less than that of wood

Low deflection shafts have been on the market for the longest time. For all the hype generated, it’s never been a silver bullet because at the end of the day it’s all down to the player's style. Highly doubt that players will play with more spin because it usually is not necessary to begin with.

But ultimately nothing will change until the day they just make all shafts carbon or low deflection by default because the stuff's cheaper or something to that effect. Then we'll all find other things to argue about...

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The next level in carbon composite shafts will be more expensive not cheaper. There is a better material for the composite shafts available. The down side, the material cost alone costs more than the retail price of the Predator series shafts now. These new materials dampen frequencies in the shaft, so that they do not vibrate for very long and other very desirable traits for a cue shaft.
Neil

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Well I noticed when the Pred Z came out, that people who played with it used sidespin more. IMO this game cannot be played at the highest level without sidespin mastery, and with a lot of deflection, people seem to be afraid to try. The name of the game is perfect position. People are cinching and holding themselves back. With confidence comes ability.

I'm a city boy (mostly). When I came to the army, they put me to work with a chainsaw in the early days (learning to build basic shelters). But I was too afraid of it to use it quickly and effectively in the beginning. Being overly careful is actually more dangerous with this kind of tool, and needs to be overcome. Once I realized that, I became proficient with it.

It's the same with english. Being too conservative is bad, it will get you out of line. When you lose your fear of it, you can be truely effective. This is the improvement people report. They start playing as they're meant to play and getting good results. Then they adapt to the tool and fall back into their old ways because they forget. Then they are back at square one. This game of ours is played within the mind more than most people will probably ever realize.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Well I noticed when the Pred Z came out, that people who played with it used sidespin more. IMO this game cannot be played at the highest level without sidespin mastery, and with a lot of deflection, people seem to be afraid to try. The name of the game is perfect position. People are cinching and holding themselves back. With confidence comes ability.

I'm a city boy (mostly). When I came to the army, they put me to work with a chainsaw in the early days (learning to build basic shelters). But I was too afraid of it to use it quickly and effectively in the beginning. Being overly careful is actually more dangerous with this kind of tool, and needs to be overcome. Once I realized that, I became proficient with it.

It's the same with english. Being too conservative is bad, it will get you out of line. When you lose your fear of it, you can be truely effective. This is the improvement people report. They start playing as they're meant to play and getting good results. Then they adapt to the tool and fall back into their old ways because they forget. Then they are back at square one. This game of ours is played within the mind more than most people will probably ever realize.
Yes, squirt is a definite playing difference - another more minor one is energy transfer. Even how much you like the cue can be a playing difference, but not an objective one.

And of course every cue should hit a ton minimum.

pj
chgo

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put 2 identical tips SS on 2 different shafts one the revo and one one a tiger ultra also a acrylic pad on the revo ,,
these two shafts play a mile apart on the ultra you could hardly feel the hit seemed like there was almost a delay of the cue ball coming off the tip but the spin seemed the be more but a kinda spongy hit like a not pressed elkmaster , the revo feels very solid cue ball comes off the tip faster. I would liken this to the way a fishing rod casts fast action vs slow action ,,

Today I cut the tip down on the ultra half way and the hit came closer to that on the Revo .however on power shots still lacks behind a tad behind on any hit other that dead center .I believe this is also the same reason as the fishing rods the Revo flexes and comes back to the original state faster than wood does ,,
It is pretty clear by posts of top players they experienced the power of the shaft there are countless posts on FB by them so it's not fools gold it's definitely real deal in their minds ,
I'm definitely think it plays better in my mind and I'm pretty sure over yrs of playing with it would hold up to the same playing consistently much better ,