Aiming systems

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Do you think the amount of throw differs for your 4 proposition shots? If it does, why? If it doesn't, how do your shots produce different cut angles?

pj
chgo

Blah blah, quack quack.

(-:

Don't know the answers to those questions, huh?

So much for the adult phase of the conversation...

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Patrick, sorry that you wasted your time creating your little diagram...

It was obviously wasted on you, but I expected as much. It's really for anybody looking in who can actually understand it and might benefit from knowing that those who insist these kinds of systems work as advertised don't understand the physics or geometry of the game. Your stubborn refusal to directly address any of the detailed objections I raise should be evidence enough for them that you don't really understand the system you endorse.

pj
chgo

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
av84fun said:
CaptainJR writes"
"Yup, that's it. It applies to any system as soon as you start changing the tip position or using a soft or very hard stroke. The problem I see with your system is that using it you now add to those by also having to adjust your basic aiming point. You have enough to adjust for without having to adjust that as well."

I see your point but at the heart of the system (forgetting about whether is works) is the irrefutable fact that when a shot is correctly aimed:

A) the cue tip points SOMEWHERE on the OB and as is true with my gun sight analogy. So THAT PART of the system that suggest pointing your "rifle" at a target on the OB and
B) There MIGHT BE a systematic way to benefit from the above. And a former Top 5 pro just pm'd me and joined SEVERAL others to report EXCELLENT results with the system. (Those people are electing not to post on the forum for obvious reasons relating to the arrogance and rudeness exhibited by certain "new friends" on this forum) (-:

"Tell me your system works when you are making the large majority of your difficult shots."

FASCINATING comments! THANKS!

WHAT IF the ONLY shots in my system that work are the shots that you find "difficult" and miss more than you would like???

Wouldn't a system that just HAPPENED to address your tough shots be VERY valuable to you??

So, to repay your kindness in giving your time to comment on this thread in a gentlemanly fashion, please feel free to pm me describing as precisely as you can what shots you tend to miss most often and I will correlate the system for you and let you see if it helps!!

Regards,
Jim

What shot do I miss the most? That is an easy question and I don't mind saying it here in public. Back cuts, not just slight ones though. A little more cut than that. I went down to the table to make sure of what I was talking about and really didn't believe what I found. How much cut does a back cut have to be for it to be one of the ones that I tend to miss? Exactly where it gets to the point that no part of the cue stick is pointing at any part of the object ball. And I don't think that is a coincidence. Hmmm, I'm going to think on that a while.

r,
JR

av84fun

Banned
CaptainJR said:
What shot do I miss the most? That is an easy question and I don't mind saying it here in public. Back cuts, not just slight ones though. A little more cut than that. I went down to the table to make sure of what I was talking about and really didn't believe what I found. How much cut does a back cut have to be for it to be one of the ones that I tend to miss? Exactly where it gets to the point that no part of the cue stick is pointing at any part of the object ball. And I don't think that is a coincidence. Hmmm, I'm going to think on that a while.

r,
JR

Back cuts are a problem for LOTS of people as you know. So, here we go.

Set up the following two shots...just to get started.

1. Place the CB on the headstring one diamond off the right side rail. Make sure the center of the CB is one the 1 diamond line.

2. Place the OB on the same 1 diamond line one diamond past the side pocket.

So, its not TOO difficult..but not a hanger.

3. Put wet spots under the two balls so you can set up the exact shame shot repeatedly.

What you now have is the one shot that has no "width range" like the others do. It's just a shot aimed directly at 1 diamond from the pocket. As discussed in earlier threads this shot is maybe a "borderline" shot and may need an "exception" attached to it (see later).

But just to start, the system "as is" requires TP 3 which aligns the LEFT edge of the tip with the LEFT edge of the CB.

On my table, TP3 causes the ball to go BUT it contacts the left facing..but that's OK since the "best way to miss" that shot is to contact the RIGHT point.

On my table (4.625 pockets) the shot goes into the right facing every time ( just did 5 in a row to prepare for this post). If you set this up and miss, it SHOULD be slightly to the right especially if you have narrower pockets.

But for clarity it should LOOK like the arc of the left side of the tip is flush with the arc of the left edge of the CB.

Also, in an attempt to eliminate stroke errors, just line it up with the tip a half inch from the CENTER of the CB and then just push it smoothly through with no backstroke at all. Then shoot more as you normally would.

Shot #2

1. Keep the OB position where it is.

2. Place another OB on the CB spot for Shot #1 and then freeze 2 more OBs to it on the right and then freeze the CB to the right of that. Obvioulsy what you just did was to place the new CB exactly 2 ball widths to the right of Shot #1.

3. Now, the LOC point between the 1st and 2nd diamonds to the left of the right corner which calls for TP4. That is the one where the right half of the tip appeas to be on the left edge of the CB and the left half is not on the CB. Actually, what I do is to imagine a pinpoint laser from the center of the tip pointing exactly at the left edge of the CB

Mark that new CB position and shoot as above. It should go nearly dead center.

If those work, try the SUPERBOWL shot! (-:

1. CB on head spot
2. OB on the foot spot.

That calls for TP5 where the right edge of the tip is aligned with the left edge of the OB.

I guarantee you that if you miss, you will miss to the left due to a too-full hit so on such a shot...I don't "mess with the system" but I just promise myself that NO part of the tip will be ON the OB.

As previously noted, I drained 9 of 10 last night while alternating between the R & L pockets.

But for now, just shoot at one pocket several times because the tolerances of this shot are CRITICAL and you need to "train your eye" a little.

If the above shots go for you, then you will have started to "dig" the visuals and can proceed from one TP to another and adjust as may be necessary FOR YOU! But my investigations so far lead me to believe that the VAST majority of misses will be because of a too thick hit so just keep that in mind.

If the above doesn't work given that it IS working for NUMEROUS people including pros, there must be a dominant eye issue in your case.

FINALLY, due to the dynamics of the system it is NOT necessary to even LOOK at the pocket. As I have posted here, I had a World Champion hold a couple of feet of paper towel blocking my view of the corner pocket...approached Shot #3 above without ever looking at the paper towel...made the shot...and smiled QUITE broadly!

My point is that many feel that back cuts are a prolem because you are "looking away" from the target. But in my system, you don't have to look at it AT ALL because you know the TP based on where the LOC points so....IF NOTHING ELSE...this system may be valuable on back cuts ONLY...but if so, I suspect it would make you and a couple more people happy.

(-:

Let me know how you do.

Best,
Jim

av84fun

Banned
pdcue..."Is it your contention that there are NO players who have mastered the
skill of aimming?

If so, why is that?"

No Dale. Did you see that sentence in my post? Ifr you did, get your eyes checked. My suggestion is that there are no players...with brains...who think they know everything about the game of pool.

You appear to think you do but you would be a minority of one in holding that opinion.

And by the way, your ridiculous question was founded in the high school debate team trick of exaggerating your opponents remark to a prosperous extreme. So you REALLY need to work on your debating skills, my man, because you need the 5 out as things stand now.
(-:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
CaptainJR said:

r,
JR
I think the difficulty of back cuts (it's nearly universal) is related to the fact that you're looking away from the rail that usually provides you with a strong visual cue where the pocket is.

pj
chgo

av84fun

Banned
Patrick Johnson said:
I think the difficulty of back cuts (it's nearly universal) is related to the fact that you're looking away from the rail that usually provides you with a strong visual cue where the pocket is.

pj
chgo

Actually Patrick, the POCKET gives you an even stronger visual cue as to WHERE THE POCKET IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

(-:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Actually Patrick, the POCKET gives you an even stronger visual cue as to WHERE THE POCKET IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

(-:
Do you think we use only one visual cue?

Is it really 15-20 exclamation points worth of excitement to disagree with something I say? If I've become that important to you, I'm glad to help.

pj
chgo

av84fun

Banned
Patrick Johnson said:
Do you think we use only one visual cue?

Is it really 15-20 exclamation points worth of excitement to disagree with something I say? If I've become that important to you, I'm glad to help.

pj
chgo

You referred to ONE as being the issue and clearly the wrong one at that...ranked by importance.

Here's the deal...You FOCUS on what you want to HIT! Do you want to HIT a rail on a back cut? (except one where the OB is VERY close to the rail so that you can get away with hitting it...I've got to be very careful with you.)

Let me ummm..."see" if I can help you since we are becoming such pals.

Awareness of the rail in a back cut is a result of peripherial vision...the main purposes of which are to detect motion and to aid in depth perception...although binocular vision is the big factor there.

The detection of motion is more of a negative than a positive in shooting pool. You get sharked with peripheral vision not foveal vision (the center of gaze).

Granted, I am not aware of too many one-eyed world champions but that is probably a function of the small population of those so afflicted. (But Peter Faulk was known to shoot a decent game).

In any event, depth perception doesn't mean too much since all you need to do is to be able to see where you are supposed to hit the OB regardless of its apparent distance from your eyes.

But hey...you keep worrying about the rails on back cuts while the opponents who defeat you worry about where the POCKET is!

And finally, even though you ARE important to me as both an occasional source of useful information and at least an equal amount of humor, I have decided to restrict my use of exclamation points in this post to one....no two. You are THAT important to me!

(-:

PS: Patrick, I am mostly just trying to have some fun here. I hold you no personal animosity. You do seem a little too grumpy and times and tend to be dogmatic but hey, we all have our moments. As the thread shows, I was willing to stop the jousting with you but you kept up the digs...and that's OK. Comic relief is important.
(-:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
pdcue..."Is it your contention that there are NO players who have mastered the
skill of aimming?

If so, why is that?"

No Dale. Did you see that sentence in my post? Ifr you did, get your eyes checked. My suggestion is that there are no players...with brains...who think they know everything about the game of pool.

You appear to think you do but you would be a minority of one in holding that opinion.

And by the way, your ridiculous question was founded in the high school debate team trick of exaggerating your opponents remark to a prosperous extreme. So you REALLY need to work on your debating skills, my man, because you need the 5 out as things stand now.
(-:

Yet another avoidance of answering a simple, straight forward question.
How exactly did aimming morph into 'everything'?

ps You REALLY can't stand to be shown up, can you?

Dale

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Back cuts are a problem for LOTS of people as you know. So, here we go.

Set up the following two shots...just to get started.

1. Place the CB on the headstring one diamond off the right side rail. Make sure the center of the CB is one the 1 diamond line.

2. Place the OB on the same 1 diamond line one diamond past the side pocket.

So, its not TOO difficult..but not a hanger.

3. Put wet spots under the two balls so you can set up the exact shame shot repeatedly.

What you now have is the one shot that has no "width range" like the others do. It's just a shot aimed directly at 1 diamond from the pocket. As discussed in earlier threads this shot is maybe a "borderline" shot and may need an "exception" attached to it (see later).

But just to start, the system "as is" requires TP 3 which aligns the LEFT edge of the tip with the LEFT edge of the CB.

On my table, TP3 causes the ball to go BUT it contacts the left facing..but that's OK since the "best way to miss" that shot is to contact the RIGHT point.

On my table (4.625 pockets) the shot goes into the right facing every time ( just did 5 in a row to prepare for this post). If you set this up and miss, it SHOULD be slightly to the right especially if you have narrower pockets.

But for clarity it should LOOK like the arc of the left side of the tip is flush with the arc of the left edge of the CB.

Also, in an attempt to eliminate stroke errors, just line it up with the tip a half inch from the CENTER of the CB and then just push it smoothly through with no backstroke at all. Then shoot more as you normally would.

Shot #2

1. Keep the OB position where it is.

2. Place another OB on the CB spot for Shot #1 and then freeze 2 more OBs to it on the right and then freeze the CB to the right of that. Obvioulsy what you just did was to place the new CB exactly 2 ball widths to the right of Shot #1.

3. Now, the LOC point between the 1st and 2nd diamonds to the left of the right corner which calls for TP4. That is the one where the right half of the tip appeas to be on the left edge of the CB and the left half is not on the CB. Actually, what I do is to imagine a pinpoint laser from the center of the tip pointing exactly at the left edge of the CB

Mark that new CB position and shoot as above. It should go nearly dead center.

If those work, try the SUPERBOWL shot! (-:

1. CB on head spot
2. OB on the foot spot.

That calls for TP5 where the right edge of the tip is aligned with the left edge of the OB.

I guarantee you that if you miss, you will miss to the left due to a too-full hit so on such a shot...I don't "mess with the system" but I just promise myself that NO part of the tip will be ON the OB.

As previously noted, I drained 9 of 10 last night while alternating between the R & L pockets.

But for now, just shoot at one pocket several times because the tolerances of this shot are CRITICAL and you need to "train your eye" a little.

If the above shots go for you, then you will have started to "dig" the visuals and can proceed from one TP to another and adjust as may be necessary FOR YOU! But my investigations so far lead me to believe that the VAST majority of misses will be because of a too thick hit so just keep that in mind.

If the above doesn't work given that it IS working for NUMEROUS people including pros, there must be a dominant eye issue in your case.

FINALLY, due to the dynamics of the system it is NOT necessary to even LOOK at the pocket. As I have posted here, I had a World Champion hold a couple of feet of paper towel blocking my view of the corner pocket...approached Shot #3 above without ever looking at the paper towel...made the shot...and smiled QUITE broadly!

My point is that many feel that back cuts are a prolem because you are "looking away" from the target. But in my system, you don't have to look at it AT ALL because you know the TP based on where the LOC points so....IF NOTHING ELSE...this system may be valuable on back cuts ONLY...but if so, I suspect it would make you and a couple more people happy.

(-:

Let me know how you do.

Best,
Jim

I took a look at this late last night. I don't think I'm following you at all. You are talking about cutting into the right corner pocket? The first shot is a normal cut, not a back cut but I figure you are using it as a base. If you are, then moving the object ball two ball widths to the right, that is the opposite direction that it needs to go to become a back cut.

As far as the "Superbowl" shot, well that has always been one of my standard practice shot. I don't miss that one very often. Not really a back cut as I'm referring to them.

What I do see here is that every shot you are talking about part of the cut tip (stick) is pointing at the object ball. If you refer to my problem shot, it specifies that the problem begins when no part of the stick is pointing at the object ball.

JR

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:

pj
chgo

Your are correct on this Patrick. As a matter of fact on non-back cuts where the object ball is say within three inches of the rail and more than two diamonds up the rail. In other words a rail shot. This visual queue you are talking about is all I use. No need for anything else. It makes it very plain where I need to hit the object ball with the cue ball.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainJR said:

r,
JR

Good news Captain, help is on the way.
I wouldn't say back cuts were difficult for me, because that
would imply I made one on occasion.

Once I learned how to aim - back cuts became hangers.

PM me if you are interested in details. I'd rather not re-hijack this particular train wreck.

Dale

av84fun

Banned
pdcue said:
Yet another avoidance of answering a simple, straight forward question.
How exactly did aimming morph into 'everything'?

Dale

Dale, this post further exhibits your petty nature and your severely deficient reading comprehension skills.

The more intelligent observer would have noted that the word "everything" BY DEFINITION included the the topic of aiming. So, in fact, I DID give you a direct answer to your direct but rather simple-minded question.

But let me move down several dozen points in the IQ scale and answer you in a way that you are more likely to comprehend.

It is my opinion that there is only ONE person on planet earth who would be so megalomaniacial to THINK, let alone say in public that they know everything there is no know about aiming.

That ONE person would be you, sir.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Wow, I can't believe I'm still reading this thread. :rolleyes:

PJ must be the most patient person on Earth to have put up with this for so long.

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my system from another thread I started regarding it.

When I stand over a shot, any shot, I can see where the cue ball must travel in a straight line to make contact with the object ball to pocket it. So I center the cue ball in this line with my body. So the cueball as im standing over the shot, is centered with my body i.e. the middle of my chest, my nose, etc. I then make an imaginary dot that is on the top of the cue ball. I take that dot or...point, think of a period on the end of a sentence, and look directly across from the cueball and where the object ball is i make an imaginary point there. And then as im bending over the shot, I keep those two points together. Now on cut shots with less angle, the point/dot in on the object ball. With more angle is gradually moves away from the object ball and then is on the table next to the object ball. And this makes every shot easy, no matter what it is (within reason), and they all become like straight in shots for me.

av84fun

Banned
CaptainJR said:
I took a look at this late last night. I don't think I'm following you at all. You are talking about cutting into the right corner pocket? The first shot is a normal cut, not a back cut but I figure you are using it as a base. If you are, then moving the object ball two ball widths to the right, that is the opposite direction that it needs to go to become a back cut.

As far as the "Superbowl" shot, well that has always been one of my standard practice shot. I don't miss that one very often. Not really a back cut as I'm referring to them.

What I do see here is that every shot you are talking about part of the cut tip (stick) is pointing at the object ball. If you refer to my problem shot, it specifies that the problem begins when no part of the stick is pointing at the object ball.

JR

Right JR. I wanted to establish a baseline. But maybe we need to define the term "back cut" so we are on the same page.

One pool glossery defines back cut as:
Back cut
A cut shot in which if a line were drawn from the cue ball to the rail behind the targeted object ball, perpendicular to that rail, the object ball would lie beyond the line with respect to the pocket being targeted.[5]

A more visual definition might be a shot where the pocket is not located within the most forward component of your peripheral vision.

In either case, the shot where the CB is moved 3 balls to the right would be a back cut..but yes...in the "spot shot" example, the OB would have to be moved slightly to the LEFT or the CB slightly to the RIGHT to qualify.

But whatever your definition of "back cut" might be is cool with me. If you'd like just give me a shot set up and I'll conform the system to it and we can go from there.

As for Shot #2 as I described it, the OB would be THREE balls to the right i.e. if you place 2 balls next to the original ball and then put the CB next to the 2nd ball then the CB would occupay a space three balls to the right. BUT I WROTE "2" balls which was a typo. But I am not tracking with you when you suggest that moving the OB to the LEFT

First, let's abandon the word "stick" and just refer to the tip...and specifically a laser beam as wide as the tip shining on some part of the OB.

With that visual, there is only ONE shot that calls for that beam to not touch some portion of the OB (in TP5, granted only the very edge of the tip touches the very edge of the OB but it is a "touch" in exactly the same sense as frozen balls "touch."

Only the specialty shot, TP6 which is to be used only for the most extreme cuts, is slightly offset from the OB.

If you are, then moving the object ball two ball widths to the right, that is the opposite direction that it needs to go to become a back cut.

Right. If you move the CB in either direction, you eventually can get a back cut. BUT, you would have to move the CB WAY to the LEFT to get a back cut by any definition. Moving the CB 3-4 balls LEFT produces a nearly straight in shot. You would have to move it 8-9 balls left to get a back cut...so, I just did that.

I set the CB as the 9th ball to the left of the original CB which would (it seems to me) would be the initial border of a back cut.

Doing so creates a LOC that points between the 1st and diamonds on the rigtht side rail. That would normally call for TP4 (with the laser beam half on and half off the right edge of the OB) but one of the Exceptions points out that because the RIGHT point of the right corner blocks the OB's path to the back center of the pocket, then you have to adjust ONE TP thinner...or TP5 which requires the LEFT edge of the laser beam to "freeze" next to the RIGHT edge of the OB.

I just did that and the shot went every time.

Please let me know if this is starting to make sense. (and please forgive any glitches in my explanations. I am responding to A LOT of similar questions in PMs)

But again, please just give me a set up that conforms to your back cut definition.

THANKS!
Jim

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Dale, this post further exhibits your petty nature and your severely deficient reading comprehension skills.

The more intelligent observer would have noted that the word "everything" BY DEFINITION included the the topic of aiming. So, in fact, I DID give you a direct answer to your direct but rather simple-minded question.

But let me move down several dozen points in the IQ scale and answer you in a way that you are more likely to comprehend.

It is my opinion that there is only ONE person on planet earth who would be so megalomaniacial to THINK, let alone say in public that they know everything there is no know about aiming.

That ONE person would be you, sir.

Perhaps you could point out exactly where I claimed to know
everything about aimming.

I await on the edge of my seat to see how you justify not answering
this question either.

Dale<who put the glo in meglomanical, which is a word>

av84fun

Banned
pdcue said:
Perhaps you could point out exactly where I claimed to know
everything about aimming.

I await on the edge of my seat to see how you justify not answering
this question either.

Dale<who put the glo in meglomanical, which is a word>

Perhaps YOU could point out where, in my post, I stated that you DID claim to know everything about aiming.

As noted in my previous post concerning the serious deficiencies in your reading comprehension skills, you apparantly don't realize that the EXPRESSION OF MY OPINION....LABELED AS SUCH...does not constitute an allegation the you claimed ANYTHING.

"Dale<who put the glo in meglomanical, which is a word."

HUH???

meg?a?lo?ma?ni?ac Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[meg-uh-loh-mey-nee-ak] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun 1. a person afflicted with megalomania.
?adjective 2. Also, meg?a?lo?ma?ni?a?cal Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[meg-uh-loh-muh-nahy-uh-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, meg?a?lo?man?ic Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[meg-uh-loh-man-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. of, pertaining to, or suggesting megalomania or a person who is afflicted with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1885?90; megalo- + maniac]

Which dictionary did you find "meglomanical" in?? Webster says about that supposed word....

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

Suggestions for meglomanical:
1. megalomaniacal 2. megalomaniac
3. megalomanic 4. megalomaniacally
5. megalomanias 6. magna cum laude
7. megalomaniacs 8. megalopolitan
9. megaloblastic 10. megalopolitans
11. major-medical 12. Mesoamerican
13. mecamylamine 14. magneto-optical
15. magnetoelectric 16. Magellanic Cloud
17. magnetometry 18. magnesium sulfate
19. magnetometric 20. magnanimously

Now are we going to descend into critiques of TYPOS???? Doing so is childish and doing so while mispelling a word your self is DUMB!

While it gives me a degree of pleasure in point out your seemingly ever-growing list of shortcomings, please save your time, reputation and this forum's bandwith by knowing that I won't again respond to your questions...even repeatedly as I have already done...unless they are
A) civil and
B) pertain to the thread's topic.

We'll just see by your actions whether you believe that the above is in the best interests of this forum.

For my part, I will declare victory and retire from the field (the one between you and me...or is it "I"? But both "I" and "me" could care less)!

(-: