What do you do when you feel like you HAVE to take a low percentage shot?

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.......................................................I hear there may soon be a NEW Room on Bell Road West of I-17 that will be ALL Diamonds, that is close to me. Maybe they will do as I heard 3-4 night a weeks tournaments. Mostly catering to the 8's and under.

..........................!

Do Tell............................ Inquiring minds want to know...

td

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
I find that a good defensive game = a strong offensive game with ball in hand. You have to really weigh the shot out. What is more probable the safety or the aggresive shot. If I make the aggresive shot im a hero and if I dont he or she is out. I rather the latter. He who laughs last laughs the longest.

very true. but if you blow the safety and sell out, not only do they laugh longer, it stings alot more when you had the chance to win and you tried to duck cuz you are unsure of running out. i believe in safes. cant win without them. im just saying when given the choice between tough safe and tough shot im firing at that mofo.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'm not sure how to answer this because the question posed in the thread title is a little different than the one posed in your OP. But, to respond to the title question:

What do you do when you feel like you HAVE to take a low percentage shot?

I would commit to the shot 110%. Look at the layout, determine the cut, speed and tip placement required for position, then go through my preshot routine: get down, take dead aim, stroke with confidence and focus, and stay down on the shot.

This of course assumes there IS no viable safety since if there were then I wouldn't feel as though I HAVE to take a low percentage shot.

If there is a viable safety, then it's like any other decision that has alternatives. Weigh the choices and go with it. Again with total commitment.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Cameron's got a good point, I'm definitely That Guy who always wants to run out. I sort of lose interest if I don't. I still try to win but I don't enjoy it as much.

I've seen a lot of sellouts on safeties... enough to know that I'd rather take a flyer at a tough shot if A. The leave is fairly high percentage, and I should be out or B. there's a clear 2-way going on where I leave the other guy crap if I miss.

A very bad habit that some people find hard to break... taking a flyer when you have no chance of getting on the next ball and no hope of getting out. Another very bad habit is cinching the really tough shot and not paying attention to leave. It's useless to focus really hard on making a tough shot when then having nothing to show for it. If the shot's already a 15% shot for you, go ahead and spin that cue ball and try for a good leave. If that drops your make percentage to 10%, so be it. You're already in trouble, make the best of it.

Everyone's luck runs out sometime, don't force yourself to do crap like back-to-back razor thin cuts or full table banks, the percentages catch up and you're gonna miss. Only do the flyer when success = probably winning the game.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Buddy Hall had a VHS on 9 Ball safties, it was one of the BEST DVD i ever say on Safe Shots. Not sure of the name of the DVD, but it was by Buddy "the rifleman" Hall.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The new TD runs the Sunday tourneys just fine. It's not rocket Science.

BVal

There must be something to be a TD, as Jay Halfert was imported from LA Last Year to the Valley to run a big money tournament in Phoenix, wonder why the promoter felt it was necessary to bring in an expert for that event?

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
There must be something to be a TD, as Jay Halfert was imported from LA Last Year to the Valley to run a big money tournament in Phoenix, wonder why the promoter felt it was necessary to bring in an expert for that event?

holy crap did coocoo just make sense :eek: it was bound to happen after 38000000 posts lmao

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
I say the hell with position and fire the ball in, and hope i get some kinda shape on the next shot.

Like diliberto said, dont lose on a phony safety. I rather go down firing than go down ducking.

Im at my best when my backs against a wall anyways.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low percentage shots are just what they say they are. Situations usually dictate how I approach them. If making one, guarantees me a great chance to win the game, I may take the risk. If making a low percentage shot, leads to another tough shot, I can't shoot the first one, that's suicide. There's a lot of ways to win in this game and a lot of ways to lose. The consistent winners usually play the best percentage shots. They have a way of wearing down your opponent.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This question is too simple -

If it is a hard shot, hit it hard.

Next question.

animlol.gif
animlol.gif
animlol.gif
animlol.gif
animlol.gif

poolfoole

Banned
Sometimes I get this urge to shoot in rotation games, usually a combo or carom, attacking full speed to try and set the momentum of a set. I would say with honesty that it's usually a higher percentage out, but it's not 100%. And maybe it's not the smartest thing to do, especially when there is a possibility of a deadlock safe.

What are your guys' thoughts. I've really tried to adopt the whole "don't bother shooting if you think you're going to miss," philosophy, but these are misses that could be avoided. But if they're cinched, the confidence is always huge.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks.

You just have to play the percentages correctly.

If you're in a position where you have both a very low percentage shot and a very low percentage safety, always shoot.

If the safety is a higher percentage shot than the offensive shot, play safe and vice versa.

If there's no reward for making a low percentage shot, play safe. Paraphrasing Danny Diliberto, don't shoot a shot when there are only 2 possible outcomes: 1. you can't win from it. 2. you can lose from it.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
You just have to play the percentages correctly.

If you're in a position where you have both a very low percentage shot and a very low percentage safety, always shoot.

If the safety is a higher percentage shot than the offensive shot, play safe and vice versa.

If there's no reward for making a low percentage shot, play safe. Paraphrasing Danny Diliberto, don't shoot a shot when there are only 2 possible outcomes: 1. you can't win from it. 2. you can lose from it.

Good post, sounds like Danny D. really knows what he's talking about...He and Billy Incardona have been a large part of the foundation of my pool "wisdom"....