The elusive Balabushka gold glitter wedding band ribbon rings

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such ribbon is used in and on fancy candy wrappers and candy boxes. So GB very well could have gotten it just as Bill Stroud said.

It can also be fairly thick and in a picture look like a plastic ring of some sort.

I dunno. Just reading and watching.

My wife has some of this stuff around for her crafts so when you mentioned it I knew what it was.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
It is grosgrain ribbon.....period, end of story. I've obtained miles (multiple rolls) of gold grosgrain from multiple suppliers. I've applied some of that ribbon to blanks and finished over it. Its definitely the same thing however his was gold with a bit of other iridescence that i've not been able to find.

Jake, So you're saying you think the material George used was made of cloth? That's what grosgrain is so... Have you seen the original material? There is no visible cloth thread. It's solid, like a foil of some sort, then covered in a layer of flexible plastic and cloth backed.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Stuff like this?

Those ribbons have a fabric texture, which the stuff in the photos of George's cues don't seem to have. I have not really seen ribbon that can put out that kind of metallic sheen unless it was made from something like polyester. Colored foils, coatings also give off a metallic like that of his cues. The fabric types of metallic ribbons are dull in comparison.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
il_fullxfull.1097258831_8jvo.jpg

This stuff lgsm3?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
This stuff lgsm3?

The real stuff is more precise and smooth in it's peaks and valleys. It's kind of like gear teeth similar to the bottom gear in this pic laid out flat. It's not a cloth of any type IMHO.

Attachments

• Gear.jpg
    Gear.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 382

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I've heard many times the Grosgrain Ribbon theory. I tend to think not.

To put a lacquer finish over that fabric, the fabric would keep on sucking it up. I can't picture that being doable or practical. Maybe with a clear acrylic plastic surface over it, but I think that's not the answer, given photos of these.

I still tend to give more credibility to the foil wrappers, candy wrappers, crepe paper, something that could be layered and finished easily with a few coats.

Yes, still a mystery.

All the best,
WW

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Jake, So you're saying you think the material George used was made of cloth? That's what grosgrain is so... Have you seen the original material? There is no visible cloth thread. It's solid, like a foil of some sort, then covered in a layer of flexible plastic and cloth backed.

and or connected to cloth....when finished over, the majority of all the ribbons i've tried, the fibers tend to disappear against black surface and epoxy penetration.

the closest i've gotten to what looks real is ribbon with an edge treatment on it thats semi ridgid. Basically the metallic edge can be removed and the other portion of the ribbon discarded. I've not put it on a piece of wood and finished over it though.

bstroud

Deceased
George shared many things with me when I was in Aspen.
Methods and materials.
The day his father died we talked for two hours.
I don’t think he would have lied to me about anything.

The simple solution is most often the correct solution.

Bill Stroud

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Methods and materials.

Bill Stroud

Occams Razor eh...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Methods and materials.

Bill Stroud

A casual search does give some good info on candy wrappers. These are available today. They do show a good gold glitter. They don't tend to show the horizontal pattern on George's cues, but these still look like something that could have been used decades ago.

I don't see George going after fabric Grosgrain ribbons to do these. I just don't. I can't imagine putting finish on it that time. George, as far as I know, used spray lacquer, which would have been a bear to finish on Grosgrain. On a foil paper such as this, cemented together with several layers, or a backing, I can see that. Much easier to finish. Decades ago, the pattern may have been a bit different, but looks pretty similar, doesn't it...

I did give the opinion that glittery crepe paper may have been the material. I still think that may be possible, but I have a feeling Bill's memory on this beats the rest of us.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Candy Wrapper 1.jpg
    Candy Wrapper 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Candy Wrapper 2.jpg
    Candy Wrapper 2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Candy Wrapper 4.jpg
    Candy Wrapper 4.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 255