Mosconi's slip stroke

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is no slip stroke in the video link you posted.
what you see there is mosconi readjusting his grip length.

a slip stroke is... the cue is flowing through the butt hand
as it contacts the ball.
mosconi is gripping the butt when contact is made.

i have seen mosconi shoot many times and at times have stood 2 feet away while he played and have never seen him utilize a slip stroke.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Actually a slip stoke is a release of the hand during the backstroke before re-gripping the cue to start the forward stroke. It sure looks like that is what he is doing in this video.

Of interest to me is seeing Willie in his prime, although it was only for a few wing shots, what I noticed was how low he was on the cue.

In his later years he had a more upright stance then in this clip. Realize it is hard to draw conclusions from a few shots, but i found it interesting.

as it contacts the ball.

i have seen mosconi shoot many times and at times have stood 2 feet away while he played and have never seen him utilize a slip stroke.

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the way i and other players i know always understood the "slip stroke",
is that you use the forward motion of the cue as it slides through your hand to strike the cue ball...then tighten your grip immediately after contact.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

as it contacts the ball.

Thanks for saying that I have to agree, 100%.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... a slip stroke is... the cue is flowing through the butt hand
as it contacts the ball. ...

Slip stroke -- The grip hand slips back on the butt just prior to the forward stroke at the cue ball.

Stroke slip -- As the forward stroke at the cue ball is executed, the cue slips through the grip hand to some degree (a "throw").

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for saying that I have to agree, 100%.

I agree. He often had a casual way of playing and handled the cue very lightly. You know a slip stroke when you see it he didn't really have one he just handled the cue in sort of a rhythmic way even when not over the ball. This clip, although he was older, is pretty good to see somewhat how he played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKw56oAA-E

I am reminded of the line in the movie the Hustler, "Moves like a dancer". He did, the way he waved the cue around, the way he chalked, and pay attention to his body actions and feet and head, it was like a dance. He would often walk backwards as he moved around for shots then spin around and move in the other direction playing pretty fast. He was something to watch when he was going good, very showy.

Last edited:

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
I am just surprised to hear that Greenleaf NEVER shot any better billiards than that 3 rail nifty here. :rolleyes: ;)

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
There have been a number of discussions about a slip stroke vs a stroke slip on this forum. The description I used is the accepted one by BCA instructors.

is that you use the forward motion of the cue as it slides through your hand to strike the cue ball...then tighten your grip immediately after contact.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
In that clip I saw his backhand for only 6 shots. At least 3 of them were a bad angle, and only one shot did I see what looked like his hand releasing prior to starting the backstroke. Hardly convincing evidence one way or the other. Besides remember at his advanced age in that clip, he surely did not stroke the cue like he did in his prime.

What is very clear is that you can really see the stance difference that I noted in my first post between 1945 and 1980.

p.s. and yes he did have STYLE.

I agree. He often had a casual way of playing and handled the cue very lightly. You know a slip stroke when you see it he didn't really have one he just handled the cue in sort of a rhythmic way even when not over the ball. This clip, although he was older, is pretty good to see somewhat how he played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKw56oAA-E

I am reminded of the line in the movie the Hustler, "Moves like a dancer". He did, the way he waved the cue around, the way he chalked, and pay attention to his body actions and feet and head, it was like a dance. He would often walk backwards as he moved around for shots then spin around and move in the other direction playing pretty fast. He was something to watch when he was going good, very showy.

Last edited:

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, a slip stroke is when on the last practice stroke the bridge hand holds the cue and the back hand moves back on the butt and then clenches for the forward movement

Having the cue move through a loose grip during the final stroke is just having the cue slip due to a loose grip

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
There have been other videos of Willie that clearly show he used a slip stroke - at least according to the definition in Bob Jewett's column (with which I agree). I don't know that he used it 100% of the time nor that his was the most pronounced, but he did employ the slip stroke.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that clip I saw his backhand for only 6 shots. At least 3 of them were a bad angle, and only one shot did I see what looked like his hand releasing prior to starting the backstroke. Hardly convincing evidence one way or the other. Besides remember at his advanced age in that clip, he surely did not stroke the cue like he did in his prime.

What is very clear is that you can really see the stance difference that I noted in my first post between 1945 and 1980.

p.s. and yes he did have STYLE.
I saw him play mostly through the 60's when he was only in his late 40's and still playing very good. Actually not that long after he ran the 500+. He was real loose when he played. A lot of hand gestures and light on his feet always moving it seemed.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been other videos of Willie that clearly show he used a slip stroke - at least according to the definition in Bob Jewett's column (with which I agree). I don't know that he used it 100% of the time nor that his was the most pronounced, but he did employ the slip stroke.

We had a long discussion about this in the 14.1 forum not too long ago. By the end, even Bob rolled over (sort of):

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=251005

Certainly, of those of us who saw him play in person, we did not see a slip stroke.

Lou Figueroa