Perfect Position vs. Options

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have landed on perfect position is for practice. Options are for play. I just don't think it is smart to develop patterns that are one ball position specific when there are other choices. Still I see value in recognizing them and if the windows of position are large enough they are viable and maybe even preferred sometimes.

......well said

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have landed on perfect position is for practice. Options are for play.
It isn't an either/or question - you can (and should) do both at the same time. Choose the perfect position within a "zone with options" and try to hit it perfectly - if you're off a little that's why you chose the zone.

pj
chgo

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order to develop consistency and play your best game, runout practice should be geared toward matching actual playing situations. In other words, if you want to develop the habit of looking for or recognizing options or opportunities, you should incorporate that mentality in your practice. If you practice in a strict tunnel vision style, then you are likely not going to be very good at recognizing when a better option or better opportunity presents itself.

Me thinks I agree. Sometimes you can do both But is quite common to have to decide. I don't ever like committing to a single option when I can roll a little farther and have 3 balls to pick from even if it means giving up perfect on ball number one. I don't see myself ever being able to hit my target window 8 times in a row more than 50%. So having that other choice seems to me to be what I should strive for in play as well as in practice.

I think you hit it on the head. If I don't look for it in practice I won't see it in play.
Thanks

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't an either/or question - you can (and should) do both at the same time. Choose the perfect position within a "zone with options" and try to hit it perfectly - if you're off a little that's why you chose the zone.

pj
chgo

That is the option strategy and the one I favor. Here is why it is different. Let's say the easiest run out is to shoot the 1 ball into the side pocket. But if you play for position for it in the corner you have 3 other shots to pick from. Precision says you play for the side, get in an acceptable window and take the easiest pattern run out. Options say it is impossible to not have a shot if you go for the corner because there are 3 other shots which aren't there if you go for the side. BUT the run out pattern is more difficult if you choose any shot other than the 1 ball in the side.

Precision says the 1 in the side is a reasonable window and since it leads to the perfect pattern you should always take it. You just need to be able to make your shot and get there. If you can't you need more practice.

The options idea is the 1 in the corner accepts that you might not get good on the side and would then be forced to shoot a safety or might totally mess up the layout, etc. Going for the option position is so large and varied you know you will not mess that up and you should learn to see those opportunities This accepts the level of skill you are able to CONSISTENTLY achieve.

There are many times when you have to choose. Perfect is one zone and options is a much larger zone. Both have a window or zone but one has more options and a larger zone. It also allows for getting "lucky" and rolling perfect on a different ball within the zone you would not normally even try for on the precision plan.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Skip.
You'll also want to get Tor's latest book.
Mental System for Pool Players.
It covers the same exact approach as shown in the video and more.
Have a great thanksgiving day.

John :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input John!!