Cut Rate Aiming (CRA)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
lol Give it time.

Although the idea of selling it is a joke, I think Cut Rate Aiming is a bona fide aiming system with all the necessary features (plus transparency and clarity) - just without a "story" and a price tag.

pj
chgo

It's just another aiming system .
When all is said and done, what you really need is to focus on the contact point and hit it .

See those pros bend over and check the contact point on tough shots and combinations ? Yeah, even the ones selling aiming systems.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just another aiming system .
When all is said and done, what you really need is to focus on the contact point and hit it .

See those pros bend over and check the contact point on tough shots and combinations ? Yeah, even the ones selling aiming systems.

I think you're right, for a lot of guys.

However, some of us just look at the whole shot and actually the CP on the CB is more important than a CP on the OB. To me it's kind of like saying you need to look at the contact point on a hoop shooting b-ball, when really it's about seeing the whole hoop and backboard and your setup and PSR.

Lou Figueroa

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think you're right, for a lot of guys.

However, some of us just look at the whole shot and actually the CP on the CB is more important than a CP on the OB. To me it's kind of like saying you need to look at the contact point on a hoop shooting b-ball, when really it's about seeing the whole hoop and backboard and your setup and PSR.

Lou Figueroa

Most good players like to walk over and look down the line of the shot, when it's a strange angle, wether they actually use the contact point or not. This is only a problem when you look at whatever system you are shilling or using as an infallible, complete package with everything you need to pocket all balls in the center, from just two points of reference (the balls).

All the stuff one has learned throughout the years blend into a whole, and for many, myself included, it's tough to tell anyone what we actually key on. For certain shots, I visualize hitting a specific part of the pocket, and it helps me be more consistent. I've never taught anyone this, because I belive it may be specific to me. For all I know, I don't even "aim" my shots anymore. I just focus on where I want my object ball to hit the pocket and the whole thing takes care of itself, mostly. I for the shots that I don't find automatic, I still don't really imagine a "ghost ball" anymore, just look at the line and put the cueball there. You can't teach that to anyone else.

If I were to to teach a brand new beginner this game from scratch, I believe I'd start at the ghost ball (for tangent line knowledge) and graduate to contact points for more precise aiming. Those are imo the most natural and instructive ways to teach. Together they give you both the shot line and the cueball line and are thus the most important puzzle pieces or building blocks to build up a library of shot pictures, or "whole shots".

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most good players like to walk over and look down the line of the shot, when it's a strange angle, wether they actually use the contact point or not. This is only a problem when you look at whatever system you are shilling or using as an infallible, complete package with everything you need to pocket all balls in the center, from just two points of reference (the balls).

All the stuff one has learned throughout the years blend into a whole, and for many, myself included, it's tough to tell anyone what we actually key on. For certain shots, I visualize hitting a specific part of the pocket, and it helps me be more consistent. I've never taught anyone this, because I belive it may be specific to me. For all I know, I don't even "aim" my shots anymore. I just focus on where I want my object ball to hit the pocket and the whole thing takes care of itself, mostly. I for the shots that I don't find automatic, I still don't really imagine a "ghost ball" anymore, just look at the line and put the cueball there. You can't teach that to anyone else.

If I were to to teach a brand new beginner this game from scratch, I believe I'd start at the ghost ball (for tangent line knowledge) and graduate to contact points for more precise aiming. Those are imo the most natural and instructive ways to teach. Together they give you both the shot line and the cueball line and are thus the most important puzzle pieces or building blocks to build up a library of shot pictures, or "whole shots".

100% agree on all of this. I'd add one thing for teaching new players. Brian came up with Poolology, which tells the player the correct fraction to aim for. I'd teach them the "A" zone shots which are easy to learn. Some people can't seem to do 10 year old level math, but for most it is easy. I just think this knowledge provides a good reference point and will shorten the learning curve for some people. He has gotten lots of good feedback from new players.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Here we go again out of the clear blue sky. More BASHING of a particular aiming system called CTE!!

All the stuff one has learned throughout the years blend into a whole, and for many, myself included, it's tough to tell anyone what we actually key on. For certain shots, I visualize hitting a specific part of the pocket, and it helps me be more consistent. I've never taught anyone this, because I belive it may be specific to me. For all I know, I don't even "aim" my shots anymore.

Who cares what you do or don't do? There's a member of the MC team from the USA that aims and does it with the system you came in here to BASH. He's also a Certified Instructor of the aiming system.

There was another thread in the main forum with a lot of great posts praising Landon Shuffett as a player/super human being and hoping he would play more often. He also uses the system you know absolutely nothing about and continue to knock and he's also a certified CTE instructor. Would you like to play him for some of your own money to see how fast he could bust you like he did to Earl? It would be laughable!

Here's the thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=441966

I just focus on where I want my object ball to hit the pocket and the whole thing takes care of itself, mostly. I for the shots that I don't find automatic, I still don't really imagine a "ghost ball" anymore, just look at the line and put the cueball there. You can't teach that to anyone else.

Don't give up your day job, whatever it is. You're totally unqualified to teach ANYONE how to aim or play pool yet here you are once again giving half ass advice that's totally worthless let alone helpful.

You're also the same guy who was in here a few months back with tears streaming down his face as you typed out your swan song about ever coming back to the forum to post as well as giving up pool for good. Boo-hoo-hoo.

Maybe you should have learned how to aim or at least been a man of your word and stayed out of these types of threads.

You say you DON'T AIM nor can explain how to teach anyone else but here you are in the AIMING FORUM. I don't know how to perform any of the steps for BALL ROOM DANCING. But I do have enough sense not to go into forums for Ball Room Dancing to make a nuisance and fool of myself.

This is called THE AIMING FORUM! NOT THE NON-AIMING FORUM or AIMING IS WORTHLESS AND I DON'T USE IT SO EVERYBODY SHOULD PLAY LIKE I DO BECAUSE I'M GREAT.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree -- sometimes, no matter how experienced you are, it's best to take a look at the angle.

I also agree about the whole shooting process blending into a whole. It's kind of like the whole ball turns into one 2 1/4" CP, lol. As to teaching a beginner, I think you start with the imagine a line from the pocket through the ball thing and throw in GB. Later on you can mention squirt, throw, swerve, CIT, and such and watch their eyes bug out.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100% agree on all of this. I'd add one thing for teaching new players. Brian came up with Poolology, which tells the player the correct fraction to aim for. I'd teach them the "A" zone shots which are easy to learn. Some people can't seem to do 10 year old level math, but for most it is easy. I just think this knowledge provides a good reference point and will shorten the learning curve for some people. He has gotten lots of good feedback from new players.

Brian's system is good stuff and it's where I'd point a player that has progressed to the point of sending the ball where their shooting for. It's simple and precise enough for guys to make good progress with.

Lou Figueroa

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’d throw in the “B” zone as well as it is super easy. Between “A” and “B” you have the vast majority of corner pocket shots covered for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
The only thing a pool player has to do is GOOGLE "pool and billiards aiming systems books and dvds" to see the importance of it as an integral part of playing the game at a better level regardless of ones' skill level. Although there are a few on here who would say it's only done because they're "SNAKE OIL SALESMAN" wanting to profit.

No aiming vs. aiming system? AIMING WINS FOR TEACHING THE GAME AND PLAYING THE GAME.

Last edited: