Speed Control Drills

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some are listed and linked on the speed control drill resource page.
I don't see any drills on that link? I see speed control drills mentioned but I don't see any drills.

What am I missing here?
You actually need to read the words and click on the links in the sentences on the drill resource page. :)

There are many good drills there for working on speed control, especially in all of the BU Exam drills specifically listed.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You actually need to read the words and click on the links in the sentences on the drill resource page. :)

There are many good drills there for working on speed control, especially in all of the BU Exam drills specifically listed.
Here’s a pertinent quote from the resojurce page with excellent speed control drills:

Target practice drills are very helpful for developing CB speed and position control. Drills F2-F5 and F8 in Exam I, and S5 in Exam II of the Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exams are also very useful for practicing speed control with a wide variety of shot types.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One very important thing is to be aware of how much of object ball you are contacting and the energy transfer. Sounds simple but easy to overlook under pressure

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

I've searched and searched and clicked, etc, etc, and I find no Speed Control Drills. I see one link that says Speed Control Drill and its that Speeds 1-6 where you roll the ball down the table.

I also see something about Target Practice Drills and Billiard University Playing-Ability Exams but when I click on them there isn't anything regarding Speed Control Drills.

I assumed I would see something that said:
Speed Control Drill #1
Speed Control Drill #2
Speed Control Drill #3
etc
etc

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...I get it, you're wanting something more challenging,
something that is strategic with wide variance's,
something to score, review and measure,
something to play & compete against a rival,
claim a prize,
I got it, stay tuned.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s a pertinent quote from the resojurce page with excellent speed control drills:

Target practice drills are very helpful for developing CB speed and position control. Drills F2-F5 and F8 in Exam I, and S5 in Exam II of the Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exams are also very useful for practicing speed control with a wide variety of shot types.
I've searched and searched and clicked, etc, etc, and I find no Speed Control Drills. I see one link that says Speed Control Drill and its that Speeds 1-6 where you roll the ball down the table.

I also see something about Target Practice Drills and Billiard University Playing-Ability Exams but when I click on them there isn't anything regarding Speed Control Drills.

Speed Control Drill #1
Speed Control Drill #2
Speed Control Drill #3
etc
etc
All of the drills listed in my quote above are speed control drills, even though they also involve other skills and have different names. It is not very helpful to practice just speed. You must practice how speed affects different types of actual pool shots.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

Speed Control Drill #1
Speed Control Drill #2
Speed Control Drill #3
etc
etc
The target drills are speed control drills. You have to pocket an object ball and control the speed and spin to land within a target. Maybe you mean something else by "speed control drills". If so it would be helpful to explain to us more precisely what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The target drills are speed control drills. You have to pocket an object ball and control the speed and spin to land within a target. Maybe you mean something else by "speed control drills". If so it would be helpful to explain to us more precisely what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is what I am talking about.

Shot #1 - One rail speed control
Shot #2 - Two rail speed control
Shot #3 - Three/Four rail speed control

Attachments

• Speed#4.png
    Speed#4.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 306
  • Speed#5.png
    Speed#5.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Speed#6.png
    Speed#6.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you incapable of setting up the same shot and shooting it at different speeds to see where the cue ball winds up, until you actually get the FEEL of it, or has that concept eluded you?

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Bob, do you have a video or know how Efren shoots the spot shot without hitting a rail? I've done it by masse'ing the cue ball slightly with a semi-soft stroke. I've heard Efren shoots it on the firm side with an almost level cue. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing him shoot it live, only heard about it through a buddy who saw him do it at Hard Times.

MarkDT

Bubbalicious
Silver Member
Speed Drills

A good drill that I have used was suggested by one of our esteemed members on AZB. Put the object ball on the break spot. Cue ball can be placed anywhere in the kitchen. Object of the drill is to make a spot shot into either corner pocket and then re-spot object ball and make it in the same corner playing the cue ball where it lies. Continue with the drill until you miss or scratch. This drill WILL teach you speed control. Good Luck

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

These seem like cueball target drills to me. You set up a shot and set a target for the cue ball and attempt to leave it there. Each time you set up the shot move the target.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hi Bob, do you have a video or know how Efren shoots the spot shot without hitting a rail? I've done it by masse'ing the cue ball slightly with a semi-soft stroke. I've heard Efren shoots it on the firm side with an almost level cue. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing him shoot it live, only heard about it through a buddy who saw him do it at Hard Times.
Efren shoots it the way you did. No other way could work.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
take a shot like you have diagrammed and practice making the cue ball go different distances on the track lines
i showed some landing zones
drqspeed control.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If he shoots it with an almost level cue, he can win all of my money. I haven't seen him shoot it, either. Well, not all my money, but I'd be willing to pay for it. I think you need to be up at least 30 degrees