Any Feedback on Blue Diamond Chalk?

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I ordered too late and missed out on the last batch of Blue Diamond Chalk.

But, it's been a little while now, and I haven't seen any threads commenting on the chalk - just a few posts here and there. So I started one ;)

Anyone compare the Blue Diamond to Master/Silver Cup/Triangle/etc?

What are your impressions? Does it play better? Miscue less? "Better" english? Less mess on your hands or the table?

And if anyone ordered a case and has an extra box, I'll be happy to pay for it. PM me and let me know what the cost is ;)

Cheers,

-td

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
I played with it for 4 days last weekend at the SBE. Don't know what the big deal is...it is overpriced chalk. No different than Masters imo.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, I tried it too.. Don't see what all of the hoopla is over this stuff. Masters does just fine by me!! The chalk is a bunch of hype JMHO!!

mikeiniowa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MOJOE said:
Scott, I tried it too.. Don't see what all of the hoopla is over this stuff. Masters does just fine by me!! The chalk is a bunch of hype JMHO!!

I do not have any scientific proof to back me up but I believe this is the best stuff out there. I feel that I can go a little lower, little more extreme with this stuff and get better spin. Can I prove it? No but I believe it. When I draw the ball getting real low I KNOW I will not miscue. Put a price on that. What I pay for the chalk, I am getting a bargain every time I play pool.

What would it be worth to you in a big match, to know deep inside that you would not miscue on a important shot? this chalk is worth every penny.

mike

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I took the plunge and bought a couple of cubes. It is as least as good as Masters. Better? The jury is still out, but I don't really think Masters is significantly better than any other anyway. The one I'm really comparing it to is my IPT chalk which I really do think was better than masters even though I know it is made by the same company (Tweeten).
Either way, whether it adheres a little better or not, it isn't going to boost my game to another level.

<edit> Btw, even though it cost a lot more than other chalks, I don't think that really matters. A piece of chalk last an awful long time if you're the only one using it.

jjr183

Jamie Ruff
Silver Member
I believe that Blue Diamond is the best chalk by far. The reason is that the chalk definitely grips the cue ball and gives you better spin allowing you to go closer to center ball. Anyone can test this for themselves by rubbing some Masters between their fingers and then some Blue Diamond. The Blue Diamond has a much more tacky feel which I believe results in a better hit on the cue ball.

The one caveat to this is that if you are breaking in a low deflection shaft don't switch to the Blue Diamond until you get used to it. I got my first box of Blue Diamond shortly before I got my new OB-1 shaft and combining the two resulted in a LOT of over-spin that is currently beyond my ability to control; I actually scratched trying the position shot below which I hit with only a half tip of side:eek: . I think that once I shrink the area of the cue ball I use based on the low deflection and extra spin produced by the shaft I will go with Blue Diamond again and get even better gains.

CueTable Help

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought some and found I could draw the ball better and have not miscued yet. I used to try super draw and miscue all the time, but not now. I find the chalk to be much finer than Masters so it seems to get into the tip better.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
MOJOE said:

I got (2) pieces from Bval, and tried it and am back on Master Green. Will try it again, and again, when I need to use Blue. But too me it is all smoke & mirrors. JMHO.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep one piece of BD Chalk and one piece of Masters on my table at home, the Masters wears down a little faster, the BD also has a different wear pattern it is getting a deep hole in the middle, where the Masters wears down flatter the hole inst as deep and its wider to the point that it hits the paper wrap now from brushing it across the tip, where the BD the hole has side walls it just seems to drill down deep into it. also the wrapper on the Masters fades faster. I use them the same way to chalk the tip, I stroke it across the tip, i dont drill for oil so to speak-but looking at the BD it appears I do. Its an interesting experiment I have been working on, I just wish I could play more.

So which is better? I dont know-they seem about the same to me, perhaps the BD is a bit better but what I dont like about it is it makes my hands dirty faster and kinda sticky, I have wet hands to begin with so I powder them up before I play and wash them every 15 minutes, I never get any powder on my table because my hands soak it up, but the BD chalk still makes them sticky, masters does as well but not as bad. But this is just my problem. the BD has alot more "Blue" in it and it is 100% worth a try for anyone, if I played with a glove or had dry hands it would be my first choice.

it must have a different density because of the wear pattern on my 2 pieces, i never "Drill" a hole in a piece of chalk but the DB looks like I did and the Master piece I'm using has a flater surface, I started them at the same time.

i would recommend that everyone should at least try it,

Last edited:

racer rx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read quite a few posts about the Blue Diamond, ordered about $50 bucks worth,

I had pretty big expectations from it, hoping it would be similar to the old "Dufferin" chalk from many years ago. The Dufferin chalk felt like you were chalking your tip with sandpaper if that makes any sense. But the Blue Diamond is really no different than the blue master's. I have heard that tweeten does not have any lead content in their chalk anymore, so this makes chalk more fine, and less gritty.

Soo back to the Blue-Diamond, if you have big expectations, you'll be diaappointed. But you'll get a nice little box to hold your two chalk cubes... that was kinda cool...

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
td873 said:
I ordered too late and missed out on the last batch of Blue Diamond Chalk.

But, it's been a little while now, and I haven't seen any threads commenting on the chalk - just a few posts here and there. So I started one ;)

Anyone compare the Blue Diamond to Master/Silver Cup/Triangle/etc?

What are your impressions? Does it play better? Miscue less? "Better" english? Less mess on your hands or the table?

And if anyone ordered a case and has an extra box, I'll be happy to pay for it. PM me and let me know what the cost is ;)

Cheers,

-td

I've got a cube I'll send you to try. No charge. I don't really care for it myself. Shoot me a PM and let me know where to send it.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I think it's a little softer and consequently spreads more evenly and easily. I think I prefer it over Masters but not enough to buy more.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mikeiniowa said:
What would it be worth to you in a big match, to know deep inside that you would not miscue on a important shot? this chalk is worth every penny.

mike

If you're relying on faith in a chalk on a miscue you probably arent playing big matches anyway.

mikeiniowa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc said:
If you're relying on faith in a chalk on a miscue you probably arent playing big matches anyway.

wow I like that one. But c'mon pool is mental and if you have complete trust in all your equipment you play better. and just so you know I just won the vnea state masters 9ball for the second time so yes I have played big matches. At least to me. :D

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Blue Diamond...made overseas, right? Where USA envrionmental laws don't apply? Perhaps it contains lots of lead for a better grip?

Yeah...works best. Like South American veggies sprayed with DDT have less bug damage. :rolleyes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried it at Fatboy's house. I found it compared favorably with Master chalk. Both worked fine for me. That makes it better than the other stuff out there.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Platinum Billiards did do research on chalk here

This is what they figured out. Only problem is they didn't test Blue Diamond; maybe it's time for more testing. This is directly from the Platinum Billiards website:

Which Chalk Works Best?

How and What We Tested
Five brands were selected for comparison. Hundreds of shots were made by our precision stroking robot to determine how much sidespin, or ?english?, can be applied before miscuing with each brand. Four different types of tip were used, ranging from medium soft to very hard.
There are other ways chalk might be tested and as we go we will continue to broaden our methods as well as include other brands.

?Master?
It will come as no surprise to many that ?Master? performed best in these ?miscue tests?, allowing on average a tip placement 18 1/8mm to either side of center before starting to miscue. ?Master? also seems to go on and cover a little better than other brands.

?National Tournament Chalk?
A close second in our testing, ?NTC? allowed on average a tip placement of 18mm off center before miscuing.

?Silver Cup?
A ways back in third, ?Silver Cup? only allowed us to cue 17 1/8mm from center before miscuing.

?Brunswick?
Very close in performance to ?Silver Cup?.

?Pioneer? and ?Miz?
Tied for last and much poorer performers, these are not recommended, allowing only 15 1/2mm of side english.