If you had a chance to have a living pool players talent for 24 hours

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
just a hypothetical scenerio... keep in mind there is no right or wrong here, so some of you posters that are always looking to stir something up, need not read. It's just a boring, individual based question. Every answer is right.:grin: Nothing to argue about here.

let's say you had a chance to wake up one morning and possess the pool skills of a living player for 24 hours. You would inherit all of their pool skills AND their demeanor at the table. So even though you picked Johnny Archer, you would be very slow and have a lint issue... if Mika, you would be on a emotional roller coaster... SVB or Ralf, you might be very calm and methodical

1. Who would you pick to possess their pool skills for that 24 hour period?

2. What would you do in the 24 hours you had it?

This question came up because I often wonder what it must be like to wake up each day and have the talent one needs to be a top level professional pool player. Us mere mortals have really good days (few and far between) and really bad days (common) It really is amazing that some people can wake up and grab a cue and play at the level they do, day in and day out.

Because of my love for stroke shots, I would have to go with Larry Neval. It's a tough call, as I love onepocket and banks, so while I would love to name someone that is a top player in that regards, my desire to see what it would feel like to be able to do superhuman things with the cueball outweighs the other. He certainly plays all games at a top level, so I got that all going for me too.

I would want to snap off everyone in my pool room first, since I don't play that well, I could probably get some good size bets and would freak everyone out.

I would then want to go somewhere where there is a large amount of pool halls in a close radius and walk in and say I'll take on anyone heads up. I would want to experience that feeling... of walking in a busy place and saying I'll play anyone in the house heads up.

I would have brought along a camcorder and would record my entire day, so I could look back at these 24 hours and relive the feeling over and over:)

Towards the end of the night, I would want to have several drinks and see what it feels like to still be able to play lights out and be somewhat drunk. Plus, I could then amaze everyone with my stroke shots.

The last hour or 2, I would want to just play by myself and test out all the shots... getting position that is difficult.... playing pinpoint position, running racks, drawing 3 lengths of the table and all the other wild stroke shots.

And dont' forget, if you get in a big matchup for some serious cash and you don't think you can snap it off in time before your 24 hours is up... you'd best tell no one to bet on you from the rail, cuz you would have some mighty ticked off people watching you play like God all that time and next thing you're all over the place on position and can't make 5 balls in a row.:grin:

Just curious what others would choose... who's skills and demeanor would they choose and what would they do with it for 24 hours.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
neat question.....
svb for me
i would go to the local hall and play all the guys that have been beating my brains out for years.....i could only get away with it for 24 hours but damn it would be fun to have the coin smoking around the table my way.... after the 24 hours....and i showed back up to the hall.. i would just say it was my twin from canada:grin:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If I had to choose....

I'd pick SVB but I'd rather have MY talent and the "focus" of an air traffic controller for the rest of my life....

Jaden

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I wouldn't want to be one of our "so-called professional Pool players" that have to wake up every morning & look for a MARK or a Pidgeon or a fish or just someone to play...

The great Game of Pool does have a few paid Professionals & hopefull we will someday have more...

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I think I would have to go with Alex P, now I have not seen him in person but everytime I see him on utube or a stream he is usually running around the table having fun wether he is winning or loosing so that looks like a good time to me. As far as what I would do for 24 hours? Probably just go and play with all my regular friends and just play at the local bar.

After thinking about it, if I had Alex demeanor, I would end up in the nearest city trying to stir something up. I dont know if I would last 24 hours acting like him, but if I did, I know I would be at least 15lbs lighter and I would probably have a hangover. lol.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be nice to have Buddy Hall's cueball control and shotmaking ability for 24 hours but I guess I would learn as much or more from Efren's magical powers. --Leonard

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Not for me...

I wouldn't want to be any of the greatest players. I just don't think I could stand the disappointment of waking up to my same old set of bad habits after shooting perfection pool.:frown:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I would say Earl Strickland in his prime playing 9 ball since I am not a good rotation player.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had a chance

I wouldn't want his pool playing abilities but I would like to have Dippy Daves ability to come up with large sums of cash for a day. wheeeeee!

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's only one good answer

I'd have to pick Earl Strickland at the top of his game. That way you could play fast, get amazing position from anywhere, make seemingly every impossible shot. I only wish we had HD recordings of his best performances, I don't think a lot of people realize just how talented he is at moving the rock around.
Even today he's still great, and when he catches a gear it's like you're watching poetry being written in real time with a pool cue. At his best his vision, stroke and pattern play are really pretty astonishing.

All that being said, if I were forced to pick someone else it'd have to be Efren. :)

maidenfreak

Maidenfreak2009
Silver Member
I would want Grady Seasons talent from the mid eighties when he would hit that "gear". Saw it in person at hard times bellflower many many times. He is IMHO the best $ player there was at the time, and makes the top 5 on my list. As for the 24 hours I would spend it in Vegas giving weight and taking names.

Big bump to the first reply that identifies Grady Seasons. And no Jay you can't play. =)

Last edited:

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren. Just to feel what it's like to play that way. And it's not what I'd do in 24hrs, but what I'd do after, which is cry like a baby because I'd be my sh!!tty self again.

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
Why limit the fantasy to living players?

I like the initial question, and I have a hard time deciding. It would be incredible to have Larry Nevel's stroke, Hillbilly's power break, SVB's 10-ball.break, Efren's ability to move the cue ball through crazy patterns with pinpoint precision, Wu Chia-Ching's ability to make 9-ball racks look like a series of stop shots or any number of other player's unique talents. I don't know if I could decide on one to pick, although if a Genie came up and made the offer, I'd be able to make a decision, and then I'd get a table at Hard Times and take on all challengers.

If we extend the available options to any player ever, I would definitely choose Harold Worst. I'm way too young to have seen him play before he died, but from what I have heard about him I would love to be able to "experience" how he played. I would set up a video camera and see how high I could get a straight pool run in my first 8 hours. Then a few hours playing 3 cushion. Then I would see if I could get a maximum break in snooker. And after all of that, I would go and offer anyone the 7 playing 9 ball. Then I'd spend the rest of my life watching those videos trying to learn and replicate the.things I had done.

It sure would be a blast.

Johnny <----- going to search for a magic lamp now.