Watched John Schmidt's 245 run DVD last night

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt has put together a very impressive video here. One weak point is that he uses a fixed camera. However it is positioned very well at about a ¾ overhead view looking from the foot of the table. Rarely is the camera angle a handicap. Lighting is also less perfect than recent high dollar productions. The result is a large spot of glare on the foot rail and difficulty telling which ball is which. Of course that matters little watching straight pool. There are a couple of places where there is a little static in the video too, left in so that the taping is continuous I suspect. This isn’t recent television quality video but I have watched Accu-Stat videos that had worse production values. Overall I find the visual quality of the DVD more than acceptable.

Having gotten the negatives out of the way, I am free to go on to the positive things about the video. It is as advertised, a run of 245 balls shown in one continuous take, no cutaways, no swapping between cameras. Video quality is more than adequate to see how John shoots and it is very easy to understand his playing style if you wish to learn from it.

Absolutely the best thing about this video is John’s commentary, added after the video was completed. He speaks clearly and is easy to hear and understand. Also putting the viewer inside the mind of the player as he is shooting, knowing what he planned and how he recovered when he made an error is great! I would like to see many more videos made in this manner, with the one that was shooting coming back and doing the commentary later.

Nice job John, looking forward to your next video!

Hu

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the chance to watch it yesterday as well (thank god for no work yesterday!) and it is a great video. Platinum BIlliards also did a great job of shipping it out ASAP, so I thank them too!

Considering that it's just a video recorder setup in a basement, the DVD is great. Good angle, decent lighting and steller play from Schmidty.

Best of all is when he makes a mistake and is keen to point it out and why he should have played it differently. So not only can you see his pattern play, you can hear his commentary as to better solutions (hindsight and all).

If anyone who's met me wants to borrow it, feel free to ask.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
I had the chance to watch it yesterday as well (thank god for no work yesterday!) and it is a great video. Platinum BIlliards also did a great job of shipping it out ASAP, so I thank them too!

Considering that it's just a video recorder setup in a basement, the DVD is great. Good angle, decent lighting and steller play from Schmidty.

Best of all is when he makes a mistake and is keen to point it out and why he should have played it differently. So not only can you see his pattern play, you can hear his commentary as to better solutions (hindsight and all).

If anyone who's met me wants to borrow it, feel free to ask.

You are very welcome Steve, glad you enjoyed it!

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is a great player, I must say I was a little disappointed, basically you just watch him run balls.

The commentary was smooth I just expected more technical information.

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got mine last night and watched it for the first time also. As it has been said many times already, if you haave any interest in straight pool at all you shoud buy this video. Well worth the price.

If this video is successful for John, I would love to see him create another offering. Next time he could match up against another top player then add commentary. I would love to hear his thoughts in an actual match on how he decides when to take a chance and when to play safe and what he is trying to accomplish with each particular safty.

I would also like to see other pros do something similiar.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
technical info

It isn't an instructional video but I thought it actually had a good bit of "how to" in it. He gave a good bit of information in bits and pieces, just not with every shot. If he had detailed what he was doing every shot the video would have been terribly dull and repetitious.

Videos and books that tell you to hit with a certain amount of english and a certain strength stroke always have to be adapted because no two people's strokes are the same anyway and different tables play differently.

I'm still dreaming of that one book or DVD that is the magic bullet that gets my game going but I don't think there is one. I learn a bit here and a bit there and mostly hammer out the details of what works on the table.

Hu

Jerry OC said:
John is a great player, I must say I was a little disappointed, basically you just watch him run balls.

The commentary was smooth I just expected more technical information.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a link on the seyberts.com homepage to this video but it doesn't work for me. Does anyone else have this problem?