Soft Breaking in 9-Ball with Playing Cue

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Noob question once again but does anyone know if I will damage and/or break my playing shaft if I continue to soft break with it in 9-Ball? I play with a Predator 314-2 shaft with Tiger Everest tip. Thank you.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I cracked my ferrule on my Z2 shaft when I broke with it all of the time. I had a everest tip on mine as well, but I'm not saying yours will do the same. This was just my experience. Yours could come out different and shoot 'em straight.

Banks

Banned
I broke hard with my Z2 all of the time.. and the ferrule eventually cracked. If you're breaking soft, there shouldn't be a problem, imho.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if your breaking soft it wont damage it at all. Just think if you play a power draw shot,
your hitting the cueball pretty darn hard. Your mind is telling you different, but your
cue has no clue. It'll be fine:smile:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
About a year or 2 ago, I bough 314-2 to try out that I delegated for breaking instead. It held up without any problems whatsoever. I even kept the Everest tip on it and was breaking 22mph most of the time.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
if it's soft break (like a regular shot) then there shouldnt be a problem.
this reminds me of Roberto Gomez. He almost won the world championship using soft break almost the entire time during the tournament. it was also a predator cue that he used, i believe.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, I broke soft all night with my shaft and got great results, wing ball went most of the time and hardly a hard shot on the 1, my friends were getting annoyed lol.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I don't play with a Predator, but I have broken with my cue the past five years. Same shaft and I play a lot with no issues. With a good tip, no problem there either. Love my John Madden cue! FWIW

d.p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break hard, and have broken a 314/2.... currently on my second 314/2 with the same break and *knock on wood* hasn't broke yet.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even on a soft break I'll use my break cue, no need to take a chance.
Got to say using the magic rack really makes it easy to make the wing ball and
get a shot at the 1, not that I mind at all.