10 ball - what happened here?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I assume they're playing call-shot where if you call a ball and miss the other person has the option of making you shoot again. This avoids the possibility of someone calling a ball but then intentionally playing safe.

dyenom

Makes sense. I just saw it happen again. He shot a 2-10 combo and missed and he passed the shot back. I've watched a lot of 10-ball and never seen that before. Good to know.

Thanks for the response.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you make a ball you didn't call in 10-ball it's your opponent's choice to shoot it or make you shoot from there.

dyenom

If you make a ball you didn't call in 10-ball it's your opponent's choice to shoot it or make you shoot from there.

What threw me off is that Dechaine didn't make the ball. He shot the 8 like he was trying to cut it in and missed. The following shot was wide open - just a long rail bank.

I noticed a while later they were calling safeties I just didn't notice it until a while after I had submitted the post.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
It would have to be call shot and call safe.
I've watched some tournaments where they just at call shot.
So the 2 way shot is still a factor.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the rule. The 2 way shot is a staple of a lot of high level players.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so if you call a pocket and miss the opponent can give it back to you?

Yes - in the call shot/call safe version. This is a rule in place in some tournaments, but is obviously not the standard WPA world 10b rules.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was in the Mega Bucks League we played 8, 9, & 10 Ball in alternate weeks. When we played 10 ball we played call shot, call safety. I understand this is the basic format for pro 10 ball. You just don't see it happen so much because pro's have very few unforced errors. If they call a shot they almost always make it. If they feel there's a chance they can miss they won't take the chance and call safety.