Couple quick cue design questions...looking for opions

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From a cue design standpoint I would like to hear some thoughts on a couple of design points. I am getting ready to submit a design to Tascarella and had a couple of questions to make sure I do not make a mistake

1. If I put a Tiffany Diamond (the elongated one) in the points does the butt have to have diamonds as well to look balanced?

2. If I do a straight maple forearm, and have maple windows in the bottom of the cue would it look dumb to use birdseye maple in the windows?

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
From a cue design standpoint I would like to hear some thoughts on a couple of design points. I am getting ready to submit a design to Tascarella and had a couple of questions to make sure I do not make a mistake

1. If I put a Tiffany Diamond (the elongated one) in the points does the butt have to have diamonds as well to look balanced?

2. If I do a straight maple forearm, and have maple windows in the bottom of the cue would it look dumb to use birdseye maple in the windows?

My opinion

1. Yes but then again I like balance and symetry in my designs.

2. I would use straight grain in the butt sleeve or within the boxes. Again a more balanced look.

Lastly do not use that brown or tan micarta material in the ring work, you know the material that you can easily see the mesh within it. I absolutely hate that look.

Can't wait to see what you get.

Kevin

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion

1. Yes but then again I like balance and symetry in my designs.

2. I would use straight grain in the butt sleeve or within the boxes. Again a more balanced look.

Lastly do not use that brown or tan micarta material in the ring work, you know the material that you can easily see the mesh within it. I absolutely hate that look.

Can't wait to see what you get.

Kevin

Thanks. It is not going to be anything super fancy but will largely look like this with a few changes to make it unque.

Attachments

• Tascarella 2.jpg
    Tascarella 2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 471

bstroud

Deceased
I don't think you could get a better design than the pic you posted.

It is simple, elegant and consistant. Leave it as it is.

Bill S.

ahk10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fan of both birdseye and straight grain maple (and any Tascarella tbh) but i think it would upset me to have different maples in different places.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bill S.

Thanks Bill, your opinion is unexpected and truly valued. I LOVE that cue and I had negotiated a decent price, but the seller freaked out when I asked to use escrow for the sale. Even at the price he wanted, it was basically all the money I had in the world.

He had said a couple conflicting things about it, and had a bad transaction on Facebook so I wanted to just be safe, but he took it as a personal attack. Bill Lister had it as new, and I would go look at it several times a week, and then it was sold. The new owner was interested in selling it so we came up with a price that was great but fell through because of the Escrow thing.

So I thought I would get a similar cue that was a little less fancy directly from Tascarella so I could afford the final payment a year from now. So was thinking of ways to maybe do that.

But that is really the cue I want. Way things go I guess.

Thanks again. I will take your advice if I am able to ever order it from Tascarella.

Johnny

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Some of us like brown linen micarta. Too bad on your previous deal. That sure is a great looking cue.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bill S.

I'm a fan of both birdseye and straight grain maple (and any Tascarella tbh) but i think it would upset me to have different maples in different places.

there is no way to go against the aesthetic eye of bill stroud
that being said i would not want two different woods in the butt and forearm
however
since straight grain maple is sort of neutral the birdseye in the butt is not so clashing
enjoy your new cue whatever you do...:thumbup:

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elegant.

The picture you have posted is a very classic, and elegant design. I would not change a thing, and I love brown/tan micarta. I would definitely match the wood in the forearm with the Wood in the windows. Good luck, and I hope it's everything you expect, and more!

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only thing I would add to the cue pictured would be matching rings above and below wrap plus one at bottom of buttsleeve, with all rings lining up.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only thing I would add to the cue pictured would be matching rings above and below wrap plus one at bottom of buttsleeve, with all rings lining up.

I can see that, but the issue is that I am not in a financial position to buy a $5000 Tascarella. I have about $2500 and I was looking for ways to get the same basic appearance but keep it at the basic Tascarella pricing.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wound up being able to buy the cue I wanted to try and copy.

It is the best cue I have ever played with. I lusted after the look, but have fallen in love with the hit.

I have hit 4 Tascarellas in my life and all 4 hit spectacularly. But this one is just special.

Supremely balanced in every way, from the balance of the cue itself, the wonderful balance of the design, and the wonderfully balanced neutrality of the cue, crisp but not hard, solid but not harsh, stiff but not stiff, lively but neutral and predictable, consistent regardless of English. It is magical- truly.

Tascarellas are superb cues, but not all are equal and for e this one I think is one of the finest. Only cue I have played with since my Judd that I just feel comfortable with in every way regardless of the shot. And the craftmanship is as good as it can get. I can see this being my player essentially forever.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I wound up being able to buy the cue I wanted to try and copy.

It is the best cue I have ever played with. I lusted after the look, but have fallen in love with the hit.

I have hit 4 Tascarellas in my life and all 4 hit spectacularly. But this one is just special.

Supremely balanced in every way, from the balance of the cue itself, the wonderful balance of the design, and the wonderfully balanced neutrality of the cue, crisp but not hard, solid but not harsh, stiff but not stiff, lively but neutral and predictable, consistent regardless of English. It is magical- truly.

Tascarellas are superb cues, but not all are equal and for e this one I think is one of the finest. Only cue I have played with since my Judd that I just feel comfortable with in every way regardless of the shot. And the craftmanship is as good as it can get. I can see this being my player essentially forever.

Glad you found your forever cue. I wish I could do the same.

Kevin

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very pretty. Don’t know whether the type of maple effects play, but if simply creating a ‘work-of-art’, though birdseye IS quite attractive, I have always been a sucker for the more outrageous fiddleback/tiger-stripe curly maple.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very pretty. Don’t know whether the type of maple effects play, but if simply creating a ‘work-of-art’, though birdseye IS quite attractive, I have always been a sucker for the more outrageous fiddleback/tiger-stripe curly maple.

I don't know. I admit there was part of me that wondered if Thuya Burl was the best wood for the hit of a cue, but all I can say is that it hits better than any Tascarella I have hit with before, and it is so elegant.