Schmidt video release November

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just curious what would have happened on ball 666. Do you shoot it ONLY if you have an easy shot for 667, so you don't get stuck at 666 ? Or just shank it and stick at 665? Or do you roll the dice, in a devil-may-care attitude ?

Easily solved....you use a cross stroke.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like John may have changed his mind about how he's going to release this video to the public.

yJ1gr24.png

That's good news.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you can have Ernie collaborate with Harry Winston for a sparkly one-off cue to carry down the red carpet.

Lou Figueroa

Lol Harry Winston. Actually he closed his store on Rodeo Dr years ago. I’m not sure if he even has a store anymore. Fred Graff is the big player now in the mega diamond biz world wide.

FWIW at my peak I didn’t have the $ that some those stones are worth. Crazy money.

Hope you been good Lou,

Best
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Mosconi at Hardtimes Bellflower in 88(I think) oozed class mite be a tiny bit of a over statement but it’s pretty close to the truth. He was very professional. He seemed a bit burned out with pool & not jovial. But he was VERY professional.

I’m not gonna knock JS, he’s always treated me with respect on all occasions and conversations.

At the end of the day, I hope he makes his $ and it does look some good. What I don’t understand is we all kinda knew it was gonna happen and there should have been a plan in place ahead of time. Failing to plan is cancer in business.

Best of luck to all involved

Fatboy

PS: I was just busting balls about a suit or what ever I said. I’d love to watch that run-in any setting.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi played everything and oozed class.
JS plays straight pool and isn't even in the same conversation for total pool.

In all fairness...Schmidt won the nine ball US Open in 2006.So his rotation skills were pretty damn good. Also he is/was a damn good one pocket player...

Also...I'm not discounting Mosconi's classiness, but when was John Schmidt not classy???

One last thing...He is one of the best expert commentator's I've ever heard.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Private viewings? yikes

I think the big issue is trying to make money off of something that (relatively) very few people care about. I'm a pool nerd so to myself and others like me its exciting. And while I get what they're trying to do, from a marketing and revenue generating perspective they've scratched in the side off a kiss...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol Harry Winston. Actually he closed his store on Rodeo Dr years ago. I’m not sure if he even has a store anymore. Fred Graff is the big player now in the mega diamond biz world wide.

FWIW at my peak I didn’t have the $ that some those stones are worth. Crazy money.

Hope you been good Lou,

Best
Fatboy

Hey, Eric.

Hope all is well for you. I didn't know HW had moved on down the road. Guess, I'll have to look elsewhere for that pinky ring.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has over 3,500 followers on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/mr400.john.schmidt

If he prices the forthcoming DVD shrewdly (IMO) at $39.95 (or less) and 10 to 20 percent of his followers pop for it, he's guaranteed between 14 to 28k from them alone and plenty more from years of future followers who pile on. And besides pool, he's deeply passionate about dirt biking, fast cars, and guns and about a dozen other interests, all of which have Facebook forums which he follows and posts to regularly -- so, he's widely recognized (and largely admired) as a personality in those arenas of name exposure as well.

None of those potential buyers of the forthcoming 626 DVD will give a fig about any moments of inaction that will have obviously been edited out for continuity, or for any other innocent reason.

John will likely have been correctly advised that the finished 626 video product will be evergreen, with decades of direct revenue, and ancillary revenues that will stem from it.

And as a Brooklyn-based agent might say: The nationwide personal appearances tour "couldn't hoit".
(Provided that his handlers are astute enough to consistently prearrange "sports & personality" TV and newsprint reportage for every personal appearance.

Arnaldo

lol, yeah right.

Maybe he can get five minutes on QVC and sell a few.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By MANY accounts, mosconi was a real a-hole. I actually read a thread about it from way-way back, yesterday. Lots of folks saw him many times and a few even played against him. They da very different account from, 'oozed class'

Can't find ithat thread now, but did find this market research. It's been there all along...for FREE!!!!
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=270585

Well, as long as you're going to trash Mosconi for occasionally being a prima donna, perhaps you should extend your search for those accounts, here, when more than a couple of folks spoke of JS' less than perfect demeanor and conduct.

A few folks had some choice words to say about him ;-)

Lou Figueroa
just gotta look

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

John plays most everything well (not just straight pool)

Here are a few of his wins just in 2009:

$20,000 1st SBE 2009 Players C'ship
$12,000 1st DCC 2009 1P Div.
$3,380 1st Open 9B Event
$2,000 1st DCC 2009 AS Game Show
$770 1st SE 9B Tour 2009 #2

He may not be a Mosconi but he is not just a straight pool player as you can see with his 9 ball wins and winning the DCC one pocket which is no easy task. He has won a lot of tournaments in different disciplines over the years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, as long as you're going to trash Mosconi for occasionally being a prima donna, perhaps you should extend your search for those accounts, here, when more than a couple of folks spoke of JS' less than perfect demeanor and conduct.

Lou Figueroa
just gotta look

Surely you can't equate truth with trashing.

John has 100% had moments of impropriety. You ain't lyin.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
just gotta look
I just went back and read the post you referred to and my language was as exaggerated as that to whic I responded. I did the same as that which I criticized.

Prima Donna, sure. a-hole was too much.

Check this out (note the date):
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3538988&postcount=2

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
He wants no part of most gamblers/pros playing 9 or 10 ball. No part of most playing banks. He can play with some in one hole, but by no means someone who couldn't find a game. I have no idea about his 8 ball game.

In the same sense, not many want part of him in SP,

John plays most everything well (not just straight pool)

Here are a few of his wins just in 2009:

$20,000 1st SBE 2009 Players C'ship
$12,000 1st DCC 2009 1P Div.
$3,380 1st Open 9B Event
$2,000 1st DCC 2009 AS Game Show
$770 1st SE 9B Tour 2009 #2

He may not be a Mosconi but he is not just a straight pool player as you can see with his 9 ball wins and winning the DCC one pocket which is no easy task. He has won a lot of tournaments in different disciplines over the years.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He wants no part of most gamblers/pros playing 9 or 10 ball. No part of most playing banks. He can play with some in one hole, but by no means someone who couldn't find a game. I have no idea about his 8 ball game.

According to the late Grady Mathews: "I just get tired of people saying that Mosconi could beat great One Pocket players.
When Jimmy Fusco helped Willie learn the game a little he didn't even know that it was sometimes helpful to put english on an object ball and his banking was atrocious."

It sounds like Willie Mosconi was not a very good One Pocket player or bank pool player so he may not have been so great an all around player as you thought.

However, it seems, he was the greatest ball maker ever, with straight pool as his specialty.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey, Eric.

Hope all is well for you. I didn't know HW had moved on down the road. Guess, I'll have to look elsewhere for that pinky ring.

Lou Figueroa

Try your local pawn shop. That might have just what you're looking for at a fraction of the price.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I will have to correct you on this. John has done a lot of gambling with top level competition and done well at it. He most recently played some high dollar One Pocket matches in the Northwest a year or so ago and I watched him gamble with Santos at 9-Ball a couple of years back. John has never been afraid to match up and gamble at most pool games other than Bank pool (which I'm sure he can play at a high level).

To put it bluntly John is a championship level player and has been for nearly two decades. There are very few players who would gamble with him at Straight Pool right now. It would take a player like Dennis O. or Filler to step up to the plate with him at 14.1.

If you don't think John can play and gamble then you are sadly mistaken. He has a couple of deep pocket backers ready to put him in action at any time.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that think's John Schmidt cannot play "all" pocket-pool games at a pro level (pro level, not the pro elite) is sadly mistaken.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My grandfather followed Willie's career very closely. There wasn't much he could not tell about Willie and be correct.

He followed 14.1 back then like he was addicted to it, because he was. From what I've been told, my grandfather wasn't a real strong player but, anyone that knew him knew that he was a walking encyclopedia when it came to "anything 14.1". I didn't have the pleasure of learning all he knew because he passed while I was just knee-high to a Whippersnapper.

I was always told that Willie M. was a very good man and a good role model for youngsters at the time. I was also told that Willie had a huge ego but, I'm of the belief that most all legends at anything was/is a bit cocky. I've always felt that being extremely confident and being at least a little cocky went hand-in-hand.

I don't remember anyone saying Willie was an a-hole. On the other hand, when your that good, your gonna have some haters....another thing that goes with the territory IMO.

John Schmidt being really good, especially being #1 (exhibition run), brings out hatred and jealousy in some. Again, it comes with the territory.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will have to correct you on this. John has done a lot of gambling with top level competition and done well at it. He most recently played some high dollar One Pocket matches in the Northwest a year or so ago and I watched him gamble with Santos at 9-Ball a couple of years back. John has never been afraid to match up and gamble at most pool games other than Bank pool (which I'm sure he can play at a high level).

To put it bluntly John is a championship level player and has been for nearly two decades. There are very few players who would gamble with him at Straight Pool right now. It would take a player like Dennis O. or Filler to step up to the plate with him at 14.1.

If you don't think John can play and gamble then you are sadly mistaken. He has a couple of deep pocket backers ready to put him in action at any time.

Very, very true. I've witnessed John being put in the box with some very heavy hitters, for a hefty sum and come out on top.

Like you.said, John Schmidt has played at champion speeds for a long time.

He was/is and will be a force to be reckoned with at all pool games and especially 14.1.

Jay, I've not heard of anyone challenging John to a 14.1 match lately. Has anyone challenged him? I would like like to see him in the box with other champs while his game is where it's at.

Jeff

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lol oozed class.. I think you need a history lesson on Willie. One of the all time greats ..yes. Nice guy or oozed class... that would be a no lol