Cheap sets to figure out his speed, that work?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not looking good. The middle guy just called me again trying to set it up. So about a year ago I sent a guy with 660 Fargo to match up with the middle guy ( the broken English guy I trust. They were both looking for action but didn't wanna play me ). The 660 Fargo guy took the middle guy's money ( I think it was a race for 400 or 500 ). So I asked the middle guy to tell me more about the guy who wants to play for 5-10 grand. He said he's in his late forties or early fifties Hispanic guy. I asked if he's better than the 660 Fargo guy I sent in shooting 9ball on the big table. He said yes. I asked are you sure? He said oh yeah not even close. So that means the guy who wants to bet high is at least 700 Fargo. If that's the case I'm not interested. I was only interested if it was easy money. I'll try to get out there Friday and meet him anyway. My schedule is insane right now but I'll report back if it happens.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
couldn't touch the point!

Did they ever pull the ole you call 3 rails and it brushes just north of the point as it goes in the pocket and they say that is 4 rails?

Gotta love that one.

They had the game so screwed up trying to shut down travelers that I don't think any of the local boys could run over three balls by their rules. If you touched a point going in without calling it, it was a foul! I started laying up half the balls so I could just tap them in on the next shot. Most the time I wasn't even trying to pocket balls. I played pool for three or four hours there and made an note never to pass by that town again or play pool within a hundred miles of there!

Jay, I'm pretty sure he is gonna find his Pot of Gold. That is the name of a big port-a-can company down here.

Now he says that he helped set this sorta friend up to lose four or five hundred awhile back. He thinks the guy is gonna set him up for an easy five or ten grand out of the goodness of his heart??

This thread was pretty flaky with the first post and has gotten flakier every time Mustardeer posted. It's flakier than a Pillsbury biscuit now!

Never thought I would miss Travis Trotter!

Hu

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
It's not looking good. The middle guy just called me again trying to set it up. So about a year ago I sent a guy with 660 Fargo to match up with the middle guy ( the broken English guy I trust. They were both looking for action but didn't wanna play me ). The 660 Fargo guy took the middle guy's money ( I think it was a race for 400 or 500 ). So I asked the middle guy to tell me more about the guy who wants to play for 5-10 grand. He said he's in his late forties or early fifties Hispanic guy. I asked if he's better than the 660 Fargo guy I sent in shooting 9ball on the big table. He said yes. I asked are you sure? He said oh yeah not even close. So that means the guy who wants to bet high is at least 700 Fargo. If that's the case I'm not interested. I was only interested if it was easy money. I'll try to get out there Friday and meet him anyway. My schedule is insane right now but I'll report back if it happens.

Translation: I was trolling the forum with this thread, which went 8 hours without a response.

Now, I am updating with information about how I sent a guy to take $400-$500 off "the guy I trust", but I still totally trust him, because there's no way the guy would ever want a little payback for something like that.

The story keeps getting more ridiculous.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what if i didn't know jackpot so good

the point is ,if i didn't know jack so good i would not even consider the proposition

I would have been broke many years ago if I bet on silly things like this
far fetched story

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just met him. I don’t know how I killed action but within 10 sec he wasnt interested in having my friend stop by for 5k. He didnt even want to play me. He told me I’m a very strong player ( I’m not ). Very chill, respectful guy. Somehow he knew my speed, my friend’s speed. I’m guessing azb. Lesson learned. At some point he said with a smile “I wasnt born yeaterday”. I thought he was being passive so he could ask for weight be he didnt want to gamble period. The only thing he offered is to play golfito or whatever it’s called ( table looks a bit like snooker table but pockets are crazy tight ). Totally different game I’m not interested. Sorry I wasted everyone’s time, the middle guy turned out to be a clown. I told him “I thought you wanted to play 1 game for 10 large ones”. He goes I never said that. Waste of time.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dcmrb6c-a2784ec1-ca0b-4323-a886-050d41e89092.gif

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with both previous posters.

In short:

People that are willing to bet high on gaffe pool games are one of two things, they are either really strong players or really smart gamblers. Sometimes you find they are both.

Like above poster said,

Proceed with caution

Jeff

Or guys like Russian Kenny who want to be really smart gamblers! Love watching guys like him go broke at their own games. Ask him about behind the back spot shots for $500 plus a shot.

No need to start that high. Play him a couple hundred in a set.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just met him. I don’t know how I killed action but within 10 sec he wasnt interested in having my friend stop by for 5k. He didnt even want to play me. He told me I’m a very strong player ( I’m not ). Very chill, respectful guy. Somehow he knew my speed, my friend’s speed. I’m guessing azb. Lesson learned. At some point he said with a smile “I wasnt born yeaterday”. I thought he was being passive so he could ask for weight be he didnt want to gamble period. The only thing he offered is to play golfito or whatever it’s called ( table looks a bit like snooker table but pockets are crazy tight ). Totally different game I’m not interested. Sorry I wasted everyone’s time, the middle guy turned out to be a clown. I told him “I thought you wanted to play 1 game for 10 large ones”. He goes I never said that. Waste of time.

If it doesn't make sense, its probably not true. And none of this ever made any sense. Hispanic unknown pro speed pool player with an unlimited budget....I mean, not even you believe what your writing.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Don’t mind me.

Question for any serious snooker players or fans I suppose.

So the scenario...I can’t remember the exact match now but it was Judward Trump against Ronnie O. Judd made a tough red and brought the cue ball behind the baulk colors just in case. Now he’s got no shot on the colors so he’s gonna play safe. He’s only like 3-4 inches away from the green and straight on. He rolls into it with a little speed to push the green forward a few inches, leaving the cue ball safe but still a few inches behind the color he hit.

Why wouldn’t he try to roll right up close to it? I can understand not freezing to it cuz from what I’ve seen they can just shoot away from the ball when it’s frozen and he could find himself in the same safety he tried to play. I’ve seen this same scenario play out 7-8 times now since I started watching snooker and each time I remember thinking that there was no way they accidentally hit the ball too hard, none looked disappointed in their results and they did get a decent safe, but it seemed like they weren’t trying to totally @#$& their opponent, just mostly.

Is it just tougher to judge than I’m thinking? I’ve never played on that cloth with those smaller balls. Maybe they feel it’s better to hit a little harder just to guarantee the CB doesn’t end up frozen to the color.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Don’t mind me.

Question for any serious snooker players or fans I suppose.

So the scenario...I can’t remember the exact match now but it was Judward Trump against Ronnie O. Judd made a tough red and brought the cue ball behind the baulk colors just in case. Now he’s got no shot on the colors so he’s gonna play safe. He’s only like 3-4 inches away from the green and straight on. He rolls into it with a little speed to push the green forward a few inches, leaving the cue ball safe but still a few inches behind the color he hit.

Why wouldn’t he try to roll right up close to it? I can understand not freezing to it cuz from what I’ve seen they can just shoot away from the ball when it’s frozen and he could find himself in the same safety he tried to play. I’ve seen this same scenario play out 7-8 times now since I started watching snooker and each time I remember thinking that there was no way they accidentally hit the ball too hard, none looked disappointed in their results and they did get a decent safe, but it seemed like they weren’t trying to totally @#$& their opponent, just mostly.

Is it just tougher to judge than I’m thinking? I’ve never played on that cloth with those smaller balls. Maybe they feel it’s better to hit a little harder just to guarantee the CB doesn’t end up frozen to the color.

First of all, you can only shoot away if you’re frozen to the ball you can legally hit.
If you’re frozen to a color you still have to hit the red ball.

The people that insist on shooting with chin on cue can’t take the chance of rolling up
tight...they don’t have the perspective.
Leave that shot to an English billiard player, they might freeze you...or close enough to
make you shoot backwards...because they stand UP on the shot...they can see the distance
between the two balls.
When I was over there, Rex Williams, a world billiard champion, was welding them to
the ball on a roll up.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
First of all, you can only shoot away if you’re frozen to the ball you can legally hit.
If you’re frozen to a color you still have to hit the red ball.

The people that insist on shooting with chin on cue can’t take the chance of rolling up
tight...they don’t have the perspective.
Leave that shot to an English billiard player, they might freeze you...or close enough to
make you shoot backwards...because they stand UP on the shot...they can see the distance
between the two balls.
When I was over there, Rex Williams, a world billiard champion, was welding them to
the ball on a roll up.

Oh yeah...dumba$$ ;) I didn’t think about the fact they have to hit a red lol. Even more reason to get all up on the color. I’m going to keep watching and waiting but they always seem to miss an opportunity there. I shoot from the chin too but not religiously...some shots do call for a higher perspective.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Oh yeah...dumba$$ ;) I didn’t think about the fact they have to hit a red lol. Even more reason to get all up on the color. I’m going to keep watching and waiting but they always seem to miss an opportunity there. I shoot from the chin too but not religiously...some shots do call for a higher perspective.

Here’s an old video of Walter Lindrum...the best English billiard player that ever lived...
...and many feel he was the best cues man that ever lived.
Notice the different stances, depending on the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MR2vaWyvN0

If he rolled you up on a D-color, you’d be prying whitey off the ball.

Warning...Australian accent

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You!!

Here’s an old video of Walter Lindrum...the best English billiard player that ever lived...
...and many feel he was the best cues man that ever lived.
Notice the different stances, depending on the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MR2vaWyvN0

If he rolled you up on a D-color, you’d be prying whitey off the ball.

Warning...Australian accent

That is great video and they had several more great videos on the side bar. Some people I don't remember seeing before. I forget if it was Lindrum or Hoppe that said never shoot from the elbow, shoot from the shoulder! I'll have to watch again just to be able to stir the poop with the pendulum guys when the time comes! :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

Hu

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt he plays better than a 725, so I'd put my buddy in the box. But I'd see if he's willing to play regular 8 ball. Last pocket 8-ball is a gaff game. They're gonna soft break and move on you, not try to runout. So unless you're really familiar with that game, you're not gonna win even if you're 100 points better than him. You will get out-moved. It's like playing 1 pocket for the first time against a player who has been playing for years. You may shoot straighter and move the cue ball better, but if you don't know the moves it won't matter. If you/your buddy are really good last pocket 8-ball players, than yeah just try him I guess.

I’ve known guys on the perma-lemon for years shearing the sheep, never skinning them.

Play good enough to win and give your customers a good show, make them happy, make them laugh and after you beat them have them buy you dinner-that’s really winning. And a good lemon player can do that.

Years ago when gambling/hustling was a thing I’d never have put this info in the street.

And yes I’ve had guys do it to me on the cheap, as I was learning. And could afford the lessons. I’ve also had my fare/fair (spelling problems again) share of customers.

Playing someone a few sets cheap or expensive ain’t gonna give you a real read if the guy is a good lemon player. If he’s a banger/hobby player you mite get a read.

Best
Fatboy