Why change primary Playing cue???

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Why do most folks change cues? What I mean is what drives a Pro to change, sponsor $'s,
or would it be that they found a better 'hitting' cue then change sponsors.

For us mere mortals that have to pay for our own why does a person choose to change?
Looking for the "The Golden Fleece" "The Lost Dutchman's Mine', Gandalf's Magic wand???
What do you want or are looking for?

hank

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I get beat,I change cues

I meanfor significant money

this gave people the idea i was a dealer

you can not expect a fella to play with a cue that dogs it for the money
Can you?

dean

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I'm addicted to custom and vintage cues
I like to play with them, just to check everything out because I know I'm going to sell it eventually.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only changed cues once in my life. I bought my Schon 21 years ago and have used only that ever since. I have experimented with some ld shafts to see what the fuss was but I still use the original shaft as my player. I have zero need to change sticks at this point I know how to execute almost any conceivable shot with this cue accurately. Why learn a whole new set of parameters and feel?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because someone hasn’t had the opportunity to experiment yet or they haven’t improved in a long time and a change feels right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people just love cues, they either just collect them to admire or they play with them too as part of their curiosity, passion, and admiration. Personally, I have the same playing cue of choice for all matches of consequence since 2002- a Richard Black split diamond model, purchased directly from the maker; it just feels better than anything else ever in my hands. But at the same time, since buying that cue in 2002, I have owned 50 or more other custom cues, have played and admired every one of them for a period of time, bought and sold them, and enjoyed the hobby immensely, as a side bar to actually playing the game for fun and competitively. As for those who do not collect cues at all, but simply change primary playing cues often, each person here will voice their reasoning for the changes, and they will be as varied as the reasons SOME PEOPLE CHANGE golf clubs, tennis rackets, baseball bats and gloves, etc.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy having a closely matched collection of cues that allows
me to use a different cue whenever the urge to switch arises.

JohnInNH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Why do most folks change cues? What I mean is what drives a Pro to change, sponsor $'s,

For us mere mortals that have to pay for our own why does a person choose to change?
Looking for the "The Golden Fleece" "The Lost Dutchman's Mine', Gandalf's Magic wand???

hank

My playing cue was a Mcdermott with an I3 11.88 mm shaft which I used for several years, I was miscueing with it more and more often thinking that it was the shaft that was the problem I switched to a jacoby 12.5 mm shaft, later on I continued to miscue with the jacoby shaft after experimenting with my stroke I realized that it was my fundamentals that caused the problem, I have not miscued in a long time since then, however! I had sold my I3 shaft prior to discovering the problem, I have since gotten used to the jacoby shaft.

John

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

hank
You got it - you usually change cues as you think it might improve your game, I'm no different. Also, a different looking cue is also a nice change.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I change cues every match.

House cues are under rated.

But their performance can do the job for most shots.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't really think there is a reason, can you?
There are as many reasons as there are people. For damn near everything.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I switch cues every couple months just to enjoy them all. Yes the expensive ones too. I have a favorite one....but I wouldn't know that if I didn't play them all.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask yourself, are you a cue fitter or are you a cue mannequin?

I'm in Earl Strickland's camp I believe. I feel it is better to change the same cue and change yourself VS. change the cue entirely. Ideally if you found the perfect cue for you (placebo+technical), I think you'd want to replicate that for other people.

A cue is like your face, you don't look at it to use it. You want it to be attractive to other people, but no matter what you must be comfortable with it.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Changing my stroke, strategy or focus is hard. Changing my cue is easy and instantaneous.

Seriously, once I settled on 19oz., 58 inches, wood LD shaft and some medium-ish hardness tip I haven't really deviated. I like the modern shafts better than any solid maple shaft I've ever tried and dislike carbon fiber. That said, I do have a half dozen that I'll use at any given time just because a different shaft diameter (they run from 12.25 to 13.0mm) or grip (wrapless or linen) feels right that day.

With a few exceptions most golfers, even those who keep the same basic clubs for 10 years, will go thru a dozen putters in the same timeframe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As someone said before, I switch cues (mainly shafts) every month just to enjoy them all.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swap out cue butts from time to time. The shafts are the parts I seldom change.

When I played with regular Schon cues/shafts, I played the same shaft for 15 or so years, and still have it.

When I switched to Predators, I used the same 314-2 on my Schon for another 5-7 years.

I went to 314-3 shafts a while back, and while I have a couple of backups in case anything happens to them, I will play this same shaft for a long time as well.

To me, butts are just decoration as long as the weight and balance are similar.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Howdy All;

hank

Asked the same question months ago.

Myself, unless my confidence in my current player fails or someone can demonstrate why X cue is better for my game, I'll stick w what I use. I have another cue I really like, I hardly touch it, it's like new.