Question about red dot cue ball

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I purchased an Aramith red dot cue ball from a major online retailer. Their picture in the description showed the Aramith hard bubble package with their logo and packaging. I received the ball in a poly bag with just a label on it, nothing to indicate it was from Aramith or a genuine red dot.

I am hoping that this is just due to the fact that they buy in bulk but I am also concerned that there are tons of counterfeits out there. This is a HUGE online retailer (I would say top 3), so I am hoping that it is real and I am just being paranoid.

Has anyone else ordered a red dot and just had it shipped in a poly bag? Am I right to feel a little weird that it was shown on their website with full advertising and hard bubble pack yet all I got was a ball in a bag? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
You are saying red dot in your post, but don't you mean red circle or are you talking about the newer measle cue ball. Whichever ball you are talking about I don't think it should have arrived in a plastic bag. I ordered a couple of Aramith Measle cue balls from Cue-Stix International and each one came in the next to impossible to open original Aramith packaging. I don't know what to tell you about you cue ball arriving in a plastic bag other than I think I'd give the retailer a call and ask why your ball arrived in a plastic bag instead of the original packaging. It could be that they bought a number of cue balls in bulk from the manufacturer and they didn't have the retail package. I'd give them a call if it was me.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, thank you, I meant the red circle cue ball. I didn't want to call out a retailer, but I guess in the effort to get better opinions on whether I should call and make a stink about this, I will just come out and say it was Ozone Billiards. I've always had good luck with them but I was just a bit surprised when I got a ball in a plastic bag with a label on it... it wasn't what I was expecting. On the other hand, once I tear open the packaging and throw it away, what difference does it make? It just would of given me a warm and fuzzy feeling that it was a real Aramith.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen a red circle cueball sold in a blister pack before.
Even when I order them, they don't come in their own packaging.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Red circle cueball do not come in a blister pac that I know of, I buy about a 100 a year and they come in bulk just in a box........

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
When retailers order these they come in a box of fifteen and the box has the branding. When the retailer sells them one at a time, I guess he just improvises. I bought one from AZB'er RainMan and he told me it would be coming in a baggie, but is still authentic. His thread shows pics of the way they come and how they ship.

There was a thread a while back about the color of them as well. Brand new they are a yellowish color and get whiter with use. It's bizarre, but they play absolutely great. I like them better than the measles ball and even carry one in my case. You'll know when you shoot with it, the fake ones just don't play right.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When retailers order these they come in a box of fifteen and the box has the branding. When the retailer sells them one at a time, I guess he just improvises. I bought one from AZB'er RainMan and he told me it would be coming in a baggie, but is still authentic. His thread shows pics of the way they come and how they ship.

There was a thread a while back about the color of them as well. Brand new they are a yellowish color and get whiter with use. It's bizarre, but they play absolutely great. I like them better than the measles ball and even carry one in my case. You'll know when you shoot with it, the fake ones just don't play right.

:thumbup2:

Yes...a box of 16 balls.:wink:

outranu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live about 2 miles from Ozone billiards warehouse so i buy stuff from them just walking in off the street. I assure you its real as ozone re packages all their products :thumbup:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
FWIW, every Aramith product I've ever owned was clearly branded, and usually comes with tons of literature explaining why Aramith is superior, blah, blah blah. I've never seen red circle cue balls sold in blister packs or fancy packaging, usually out of a box of 16.

As for the red circle having more action, I weighed a few sets of Centennials and Super Pros. Both usually come in at 5.9 ounces, while red circle cue balls and no name brand balls come in at 5.6 ounces.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.poolchat.net/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=65

Here is an excellent article about Red Circle cue balls, Amarith, etc. etc. By Webdude, well worth the read.
Adjusting to the weight of different cue balls, is dependent upon knowing the ball you are playing with is not right. Lighter cue balls deflect at a wider angle.
Pool just isn't pool if the cueball won't deflect at a predictable angle.
A light cue ball, hit with inside draw will take a very crazy angle. For this reason, I carry 2 or sometimes 3 cue balls in my case. I'm not playing with a nicked up small cue ball that is way below weight and size specifications.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member

I am an Aramith dealer, and the Red Circle Cue balls come in a white Aramith logo'd box of 16. I also then send them in a zip poly bag.. The Aramith Red Logo balls also come the same way.. The Aramith Measles ball come in a blister pak..

So to the original poster, your good, you got the real deal...

Rain-man

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your input. Glad to hear that they are repackaged from bulk and that I have a genuine product.

Thanks again!

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
FWIW, every Aramith product I've ever owned was clearly branded, and usually comes with tons of literature explaining why Aramith is superior, blah, blah blah. I've never seen red circle cue balls sold in blister packs or fancy packaging, usually out of a box of 16.

As for the red circle having more action, I weighed a few sets of Centennials and Super Pros. Both usually come in at 5.9 ounces, while red circle cue balls and no name brand balls come in at 5.6 ounces.

To get the proper weight of different cue balls you HAVE to weigh them when brand new, and not used (they lose weight and circumference due to friction from play over time)..

When New:

- Pro-Cup 'Measles' cue balls are 170 grams / 6oz
- Aramithe Red LOGO balls are also 170 grams / 6oz
- Aramith Red Circle Cue balls are 5.9oz (Ive weighed HUNDREDS of them, and ALL when new have been between 167-169grams / 5.891-5.961 ounces)

Players prefer the Red Circle cue balls (as do I) because they are lighter, slightly lighter, but lighter nonetheless.... When you hear a player complain about not liking the Pro Cup cue ball because 'its too heavy', its normally because that player is used to using a Red Circle cue ball, and their position is off with the Pro Cup ball....

And before anybody says a tenth of an ounce 'aint gonna make a difference', sorry, but it does. Especially in 9-Ball when your quite often using multiple rails for positioning (the difference in position is magnified with each rail also...).. :thumbup:

Carry on....
Rain-Man

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not a fan of the red circle.

As the above poster noted, the red circle is lighter and the ball does a little different travel because it is lighter than the other balls (numbered).

It does make a difference.

I play with a set of super pro and they all weigh the same, and react the same.

Ken

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might try using a red circle cue ball for the draw shot drill in the BU exams - wonder how much extra draw (if any ?) I will get with a lighter cue ball ???

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I maintain a variety of cue balls to play with:

(3) Aramith Measles Cue Balls
(2) Brunswick Centenntial Blue Dot Cue Balls
(1) Aramith Red Logo Cue Ball
(1) Aramith Red Circle Cue Ball
(1) Jim Rempe Training Cue Ball.

My Red Circle Aramith Cue Ball was just purchased from Rain-Man.
It arrived this past Saturday and naturally, I measured and weighed
the cue ball on my Ohaus Triple Beam Scale which is dead-on,
bulls-eye accurate.

My Red Circle Aramith Cue Ball weighs 169.15 grams
28.375 grams = 1 ounce

Last edited:

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
I might try using a red circle cue ball for the draw shot drill in the BU exams - wonder how much extra draw (if any ?) I will get with a lighter cue ball ???

The Red Circle reacts differently than a standard 6oz cue ball. Its hard for me to try and explain this (im sure someone else can do a better job of it), but just because its lighter doesnt necessarily mean you will get more draw from it.
Each ball has a feel that you need to adjust to when switching up from one to the other....

Im unfamiliar with the draw shot drill your referring to in the BU exams, but if your trying to get the furthest draw possible, (IMO) the heavier ball will ultimately draw further for two reason. First, it has more mass (think throwing a wiffle ball vs a baseball). And second, because it has more mass its going to have less loss of initial spin before gaining traction (think about why you put weight into the back of a pickup truck in the snow)... :thumbup:

I can personally get about 2 full table lengths of draw from a Measles ball, but only about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 with a Red Circle Cue ball..

Rain-Man

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member

My Red Circle Aramith Cue Ball was just purchased from Rain-Man.
It arrived this past Saturday and naturally, I measured and weighed
the cue ball on my Ohaus Triple Beam Scale which is dead-on,
bulls-eye accurate.

My Red Circle Aramith Cue Ball weighs 169.15 grams
28.375 grams = 1 ounce

Yep, which is 5.96oz. (pretty much dead-on, on the higher end of the range I mentioned in my earlier post)...I use a lesser postal scale, but as you can see both our scales have the new Red Circles at just ever so slightly less than 6oz, but again, enough that it makes them react differently...