BCA Pro Event - Sizing up the Ladies Draw

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
OK, I know playing the prediction game tends to leave me with egg on my face, but it's still fun, so let's have a go at sizing up the ladies draw.

Many questions abound as we enter this one:

Allison Fisher and Karen Corr
Allison and Karen have combined for just one TV appearance in the first three WPBA events, and they will be looking to rebound. Karen's form is likely strong, as she's fared well in winning a couple of men's events of late. Allison's form is to be determined. The use of the double elimination format may help them, and, as usual, each is a serious title contender.

Jasmin Ouschan
Last year's win over the best players in the world was no fluke, as we learned a) at the 2006 World Straight Pool Championships, in which she finished tied for fifth in a strong open field, and b) at WPBA San Diego a few weeks ago, where she finished second. Can she shine again in the spotlight? It's quite possible.

Xiaoting Pan
In her three WPBA events this season, she had a first, a second and a third. add to that her domination of the 2007 World 9-ball championships and she certainly rates as the lady playing the best pool in the world right now. My guess is that she's the one to beat this year.

Hsin Mei Liu
In 2006, for the second time, she finished fourth, missing TV by one match. Can she get over the hump? I'm betting against it, but she's certainly got enough game that the possibility is there.

Ga Young Kim
An established star of the tour, she's made TV twice already in her three WPBA events, but had a disappointing World championships. She hasn't played well in Vegas over the years, but is always dangerous. Just a year ago, she had a good look at a combo on the nine double hill to beat Jasmin Ouschan, but wasn't quite up to it. Ah, for what might have been. Maybe this is her year.

Kelly Fisher
She'll be missed, but whenever she returns to the women's pro scene, it will be a great day for the sport. Wishing her well, and hope to see her competing soon.

Ones to Watch
In my opinion, Thornfeldt, Webb and Ellerby are all strong candidates to have a strong event.

OK, let's cut to the chase. Here are my odds to win the title:

Xiaoting Pan 3/1
Karen Corr 7/2
Jasmin Oushcan 9/2
Allison Fisher 5/1
Ga Young Kim 8/1
Hsin Mei Liu 12/1
None of the above 20/1

My pick to win the event: Xiaoting Pan

Finally, I hope that they'll save their best for when I arrive on Tuesday!

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
pooldawg1 said:
If your offering 5 to 1, I will take $2000 on Allison...

I post as a man with an opinion, not as a bookmaker. I'll be very happy if Allison Fisher, undeniably the greatest champion of them all, wins this.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with your analysis completely.

I also like Xiao Ting Pan's chance, but would like to go out on the limb and predict Ga Young Kim wins this one.

Does anyone know, by the way, that Ga Young Kim has performed a small plastic surgery on her eyes recently?:) Give her a compliment on her eyes when you see her, she will be very pleased.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think the X-factor is rightly the favorite at 3-1, but don't count out Karen Corr. I like the odds on Kim at 8-1.

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats the deal with Kelly Fisher? My friend had hoped to hit some balls with her again this year at the Fury booth but there is no Fury booth.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll pick Ga Young Kim as well. She has been my favorite player for a year now and would buy any match of hers.

However I heard she's taken so I have to focus on Xiaoting for the marriage proposition.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What I find so exciting about this event is that, at long last, there are realistic aspirants to the throne rightfully occupied by Allison and Karen for so long. Hsin Mei Liu is also a living legend of women's pool, with multiple world 9-ball championships, multiple titles at the Amway Cup and a US Open 14.1 title.

Whether young dynamos like Xiaoting Pan, Jasmin Ouschan, and Ga Young Kim are ready to take the next step forward is something we'll begin to learn this week.

Last edited:

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
sjm said:
What I find so exciting about this event is that, at long last, there are realistic aspirants to the throne rightfully occupied by Allison and Karen for so long. Hsin Mei Liu is also a living legend of nine ball, with multiple world championships as well as multiple titles at the Amway Cup.

Whether young dynamos like Xiaoting Pan, Jasmin Ouschan, and Ga Young Kim are ready to take the next step forward is something we'll begin to learn this week.
watch for the new girl pam treadway to come in the top 5,she just went pro and is playing better than most of the male pros. just took second at the hopkins! I think she will be the next big under dog. she plays gerta h next!! if she makes it past her watch out. you heard it here

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
cornerstone said:
watch for the new girl pam treadway to come in the top 5,she just went pro and is playing better than most of the male pros. just took second at the hopkins! I think she will be the next big under dog. she plays gerta h next!! if she makes it past her watch out. you heard it here

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye open for her. She played very well in this event last year, but was derailed handily by Ouschan in the later stages.

rbgarmon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dont overlook allison. she is still a champion and a threat to win any tournament. by the way, where is kelly fisher going?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
rbgarmon said:
dont overlook allison. she is still a champion and a threat to win any tournament. by the way, where is kelly fisher going?

WPBA.com reported that Kelly Fisher would miss the BCA Pro Event due to personal reasons.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sjm,
Just a note to castigate you for your seriously deficient report. How can we AZB'ers stay informed if you don't search out all of the details for us? Don't give us that old, "I have to sleep sometime" excuse.

It looks like Line Kjoersvik (?spelling) is in the event, haven't seen her for awhile. Also the new Korean sensation Yu Ram Cha (?spelling?) appears to be in the field. How do you rate her game?

Also Jennifer Chen is in the field - we haven't seen her for a while. There is a French name on the board, and some oriental names no one has mentioned, and I've never heard.

What is the scoop on these players? Just investigate ALL players whose names you can't spell, and report back to us. You can sleep on the plane on the way home. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
sjm,
Just a note to castigate you for your seriously deficient report. How can we AZB'ers stay informed if you don't search out all of the details for us? Don't give us that old, "I have to sleep sometime" excuse.

It looks like Line Kjoersvik (?spelling) is in the event, haven't seen her for awhile. Also the new Korean sensation Yu Ram Cha (?spelling?) appears to be in the field. How do you rate her game?

Also Jennifer Chen is in the field - we haven't seen her for a while. There is a French name on the board, and some oriental names no one has mentioned, and I've never heard.

What is the scoop on these players? Just investigate ALL players whose names you can't spell, and report back to us. You can sleep on the plane on the way home. Thank you in advance.

LaFranchise is a player I've watched. Pretty sure she's Canadian, and she's got some game.

Jennifer Chen played at WPBA San Diego just three weeks ago, and reached the single elimination stages. She must be in pretty good form this week, beating Kim Shaw 9-2 and then beating the solid Japanese player Kyoko Sone, who, if my memory serves, finished 3rd in the 2001 World 9-ball championships.

Yu-Ram Cha, a new Korean sensation, is a B player with an A level stroke. I think she's only 19, and when her knowledge catches up with her stroke, she'll be one to be reckoned with. Her future is very bright.

The Asian players Chou and Lac are unknown to me. A player named Tsai, who impressed by finishing 9th in last year's BCA pro event and finished third in the 2007 World Cahmpionships is a surprising and disappointing omission from this field.

Finally, Line Kjorsvik seems to play in the world championships, the European Championships and the BCA Pro event only. She finished 5th in the BCA Open (2003, I think). Sharing a story, I played her some straight pool in 2002 in New York and crushed her, with her getting about 60 in each of our two races to 150. I ran a 58 in each game. She was the European Straight Pool champion at the time. She asked me for some tips to improve her straight pool game, and I offered some counsel. The very next night, she ran a 116 playing against Liz Ford, which bowled me over as my high run was 91. Ironically, she made up for my two 58 ball runs in a single inning! She called me at my office to tell me about it. guess I did well to quit her after the second game.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sjm said:
LaFranchise is a player ....................................................................................................... guess I did well to quit her after the second game.

sjm,
Well done. THAT is EXACTLY the kind of reporting that we expect from you (you have set a standard that is almost impossibly high) - you have more than redeemed yourself. Thanks again, I'll see you Tuesday night or Wednesday A.M.

P.S. - If breakup is still there, I am going to try and rumble with him at midnight Tuesday at the Splash Bar (wherever the hell that is), I hope you can make it; I'm buying (well...for everyone except breakup, no one could afford his bar bill).

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
LaFranchise is a player I've watched. Pretty sure she's Canadian, and she's got some game.

The Asian players Chou and Lac are unknown to me. A player named Tsai, who impressed by finishing 9th in last year's BCA pro event and finished third in the 2007 World Cahmpionships is a surprising and disappointing omission from this field.

Myriam is from Quebec,Canada. A French Canadian who has been studying the game under Luc Salvas. She represented Canada in the Amway World Pool Championship two years ago, and I believe she is the Women's Canadian 9 Ball Champion.

Lac plays on the Tiger Planet Tour, I believe she is actually an American, and is not from Asia. She got into this tournament by winning a qualifer.

Chou just came second in the recent pro tour stop in Taiwan. She was also the winner of a qualifier spot in 2006 Amway World Pool Championship--an up coming player who is not to be underestimated. In my opinion, Chou can go far in this tournament, she is a much stronger player than Cha from Korea.

Hsin Huang is no stranger to the field, she had a very nice 4th place finish a couple years ago here in Vegas. She is now staying in Ontario, Canada. I hope she does well this time.

Kyoko Sone won her spot winning a qualifier in Seattle on the NWPA tour. She is currently one of the top five female players in Japan. She will be staying in Vancouver, Canada, taking lesson from Canadian Champion Paul Potier for half a year, trying to sharpen her game.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Thanks

for all the info on these players. I am pretty much in tune with SJM's astute
odds on the players. XT, as she is called, has been playing very well, and she breaks great for being such a little gal. I think her break is one of the best in the business on the WPBA tour. Helena doesn't have anything on her.

I am pulling for Ga Young too, but feel that her emotions get to her a little more than XT. Karen can win this, but she will have to earn it though. Allison, always a threat, but don't feel she is playing her best right now. Jasmin, I really like her game. This girl is Allison number 2. Her and XT's game is the best right now.

Pam Treadway is a good player, but like others, is not seasoned enough against the best to make it to the end.

Last edited: