Ask Yourself - Still getting better?

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice with purpose, books, YouTube, playing tournaments...always REALLY be getting better. Ask yourself, each year...

Could my younger self beat me?...NO WAY.

(My 55 year old current self would crush my 30 year old self. Not even close.)

How about you?

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
60 years old , been playing since i was 12-13. Was less fearful and would shoot at anyone and anything but play way better and smarter now. I just feel like i wasted so many years not aiming right and being around the wrong people.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, getting better, only because started at bottom. Steady progress, but slow, too slow. If I was a teenager, it would go a lot faster.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Used to always say I'm shooting the best pool of my life every day. Had to take a month off for health reasons, so I can't say that now, but I'm back practicing and will be saying it again!

pj
chgo

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The truth is that there are more better players now in areas where pool is still popular. Sometimes I can't believe that I won tournaments in the 80s and early 90s; that I was the best of maybe 30 or so guys on a given day; when my 66 year old self now is so much better than myself back then!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No fair PJ...you have a whole room of pool tables to play on! I just hit balls one week ago for the first time in 3 months! Thankfully I am now back at work for anyone who needs help!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Used to always say I'm shooting the best pool of my life every day. Had to take a month off for health reasons, so I can't say that now, but I'm back practicing and will be saying it again!

pj
chgo

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
At age 67, I could beat the crap out of myself at age 30.

Problem is, me at age 62 could be the crap out of me today.

Heart disease and diabetes suck the skills right out of you. Mostly it's the medications, but my eyesight has also deteriorated.

It is what it is. I expected it to happen someday. I just wish it would have waited a few more years.

Maniac

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my 30s and 40s I was a pretty good short stop.
I played almost every day.
I could run 40 or 50 balls here and there in 14.1.
Run 3 or 4 racks of 9 ball here and there.
Now at 73 and playing only once a week (pre covid) I could not beat my younger self.
I probably play a little smarter but shot making and cue ball control are not what they used to be.
I still have the knowledge but the consistency is gone.
And those long shots look a lot longer now.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At age 67, I could beat the crap out of myself at age 30.

Problem is, me at age 62 could be the crap out of me today.

Heart disease and diabetes suck the skills right out of you. Mostly it's the medications, but my eyesight has also deteriorated.

It is what it is. I expected it to happen someday. I just wish it would have waited a few more years.

Maniac

I play with a guy who's 74. You can tell he was good player back in the day but he's had some serious medical issues over the last 4-5 years and his play has diminished. I met him about 1.5 years ago and I could tell then he knew what he wanted to do but just couldn't do it. Since I have met him he has spent at least 2-3 months in the hospital and I can clearly tell the toll it has taken on him. He talks about it often and it bothers me because I don't really know how to react. We joke about it but I know it's killing him on the inside.

He used to play back in Detroit. I gave him a book about Cornbread Red and he told me more than one story about him.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing pool in Jr. High on a bar box at the slot car shop.

As a sophomore in High School, my dad bought a 8 foot table from a pool hall going out of business. I played 3-ish hr.s per day for 2.5 years. In college, I played 3-5 hours a day for 5-ish years.

Then I took a 35 year break; until I moved into an area in walking distance of a bar with a bar box. A year later my mother decided I was not to inherent the table in the basement, but instead gave me a budget of $5K to buy my own table.

I have been playing on that table for 10-ish years. Through 2 different leagues I rated SL6 in APA and maybe a tad better (equivalence) in BCA.

Until this pandemic hit, I was pretty useful (not quite good) but I could beat everyone at the bar, but I still could not make shots I could back in Fat House days. Since the pandemic, I have been practicing (meaningfully) for 2-3 hr.s per day 5-ish days per week, and I am probably playing the best pool of my life.

One night about a week ago I ran the table 4 ties in a row. I think the boys in the bar are in for a harder time when it opens up again. I am probably playing at SL7 maybe SL7.5 right now; maybe C+/B-

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t feel much different in mind or body than I did when I hit my first ball on a snooker table at age 15..now age 66.

Use to get up at 5:30 and go for a run. Still do, except now it’s 7am. Still play billiards most days. Still play soccer and ball hockey.

No desire to ever be a pro snooker player. Preferred the sciences. Billiards has been fun, not a chore. I can’t remember ever ‘Practicing’...I make up my own games that hone skills. I’m a good player but not a great player.

The big difference today over 35 years ago is I don’t have to beat most players on technical talent, I beat them on table smarts. I can Tie most pool players in knots with safeties...or lure them into taking high risk shots.

I would lose to a top 128 ranked Snooker player 9 out of 11 frames..,but not humiliated. That’s good enough for me. Likely lose 7 out of 11 frames to a top player at American 8 ball. That’s fine. I’ll never do any better. I’ve no desire to spend 3 hours every day playing...45 minutes is fun at home.

Except for top ranking Snooker or Chinese 8 ball players, no real reward, except for fun. Putting in a lifetime of effort?... I’d rather go fishing or go for a hike. Maybe I could have cracked The top 128 rankings in Snooker but that’s as far as I would have made it. Anyways, no desire to improve for the sake of improving.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t feel much different in mind or body than I did when I hit my first ball on a snooker table at age 15..now age 66.

Use to get up at 5:30 and go for a run. Still do, except now it’s 7am. Still play billiards most days. Still play soccer and ball hockey.

No desire to ever be a pro snooker player. Preferred the sciences. Billiards has been fun, not a chore. I can’t remember ever ‘Practicing’...I make up my own games that hone skills. I’m a good player but not a great player.

The big difference today over 35 years ago is I don’t have to beat most players on technical talent, I beat them on table smarts. I can Tie most pool players in knots with safeties...or lure them into taking high risk shots.

I would lose to a top 128 ranked Snooker player 9 out of 11 frames..,but not humiliated. That’s good enough for me. Likely lose 7 out of 11 frames to a top player at American 8 ball. That’s fine. I’ll never do any better. I’ve no desire to spend 3 hours every day playing...45 minutes is fun at home.

Except for top ranking Snooker or Chinese 8 ball players, no real reward, except for fun. Putting in a lifetime of effort?... I’d rather go fishing or go for a hike. Maybe I could have cracked The top 128 rankings in Snooker but that’s as far as I would have made it. Anyways, no desire to improve for the sake of improving.

Table smarts is definitely where I have improved. Shot making has improved simply because I spent the first year after coming back practicing different aspects of the game. But table smarts made the biggest improvement.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hit my best stride from 35-40, and I won a lot of amateur tournaments in New England in those years. I’m a shell of the player I once was, but I have my memories. Now what were we talking about again?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, its largely about table time and health. 7-9 years ago, I feel like I was playing the best pool of my life. My weight was down, my back felt good and I was able to play 40+ hours a week on top of working 50-60.

Right now, by the time I get to play again, it will be October-ish, around 6-7 months from last time I played, and Ill need to rebuild my stance again from scratch because of a junk spine. :frown:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hit my best stride from 35-40, and I won a lot of amateur tournaments in New England in those years. I’m a shell of the player I once was, but I have my memories. Now what were we talking about again?
Let’s face it, pool is a young man’s game just like golf. For any of those that started playing when we were young, once you are 50+, say what you want but your best years are behind you. That doesn’t mean, going into any 9-ball match or a 14.1 practice session that I can’t have the goal of playing a perfect set without a miss, or run 100 balls.

Both may not realistic, but that doesn’t mean I can’t strive to play at the absolute max that my potential allows. That’s what brings us all back to play again, even after a discouraging session, which in terms of our high expectations is nearly always the case.

Last edited:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marginally better at 50 than at 18 but improving faster. Definitely smarter and have the patience and wisdom to learn better, but still have a way to go.

It’s easier to recognize my weak areas and bad habits at an older age compared to shooting from the hip and not having an understanding of the game as a younger guy.

And I can say my younger self likely wouldn’t have improved even with the best instruction available. Wasn’t disciplined, didn’t listen or focus well and only learned by ‘doing’ which wasn’t the best approach.

As far as pool being a young person’s game, that’s hogwash. Maybe you need to be young to go pro, but pool is a game that can be enjoyed and won at all ages.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marginally better at 50 than at 18 but improving faster. Definitely smarter and have the patience and wisdom to learn better, but still have a way to go.

It’s easier to recognize my weak areas and bad habits at an older age compared to shooting from the hip and not having an understanding of the game as a younger guy.

And I can say my younger self likely wouldn’t have improved even with the best instruction available. Wasn’t disciplined, didn’t listen or focus well and only learned by ‘doing’ which wasn’t the best approach.

As far as pool being a young person’s game, that’s hogwash. Maybe you need to be young to go pro, but pool is a game that can be enjoyed and won at all ages.

I’ve never understand the age issues with billiards. Im 66 and don’t detect any difference At the table.. It’s not as if I have to run a 5 minute mile or bench press 250 pounds. My vision is fine and still have dexterity.

Top snooker players don’t seem to lose any edge at the table. What they do is have other ambitions and interests in life. Maybe They want to take up golf or play more tennis...or Tie flies for fishing.

My observation is it’ isn’t age but rather not keeping fit. Some billiard players like many in society have led poor lifestyles things start to interfere with performance on the table. Joints, endurance, etc,

I’ve never smoked, done any drugs and never gained weight. Been active just about everyday of my life. I’m not unique...belong to men’s sports groups, hiking and cycling groups. I’m still a youngster compared to some. Fellow Im cycling with in our mountains tomorrow is 69 and I’m likely the one hopping off the bike first on the steep slopes.