Action

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
These closeup pics of the money on the lights....are they really necessary? If I was law enforcement or IRS agents, wouldnt that give them ammunition to get approval to do a raid of the DCC?

Lets be smart about how we report action and remember that its not just us pool junkies reading online, but unfriendlies. Please don't give these unfriendlies the means to kill off the good thing we have going in Louisville every year.

jcrack_corn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its been roundly proven....OVER AND OVER again, that pool is a game of skill and not chance, and thus no federal and most state laws do not prohibit 2 man "tournaments."

uwate said:
These closeup pics of the money on the lights....are they really necessary? If I was law enforcement or IRS agents, wouldnt that give them ammunition to get approval to do a raid of the DCC?

Lets be smart about how we report action and remember that its not just us pool junkies reading online, but unfriendlies. Please don't give these unfriendlies the means to kill off the good thing we have going in Louisville every year.

jcrack_corn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ohh, and as far as the IRS is concerned...do you really think they are concerned with what amounts to *almost* a zero net gain (if everyone claimed their winnings/losses...someone lost 30k, someone won 30k....if they are in the same bracket, to the irs its a zero sum game....), when they can just sit back and watch the AMT crisis unfold with smiles on their faces..

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
just a side note

if you have never been here, the police watch the matchs and have been seen talking action with the players! i dont think its a big deal!:cool:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Bignasty and jcrack_corn, I am only bringing up an issue that has happened before in history. The Johnston City event ran 11 years until 1972, when the feds raided the joint for gambling and tax evasion issues. 1972 was the last year of the event.

Yes, I have been the DCC. Just got back Wed in fact from spending 5 days there. And yes I did see the local police in the action room. The locals are not the problem that I was referring to. Its people who get their check from Washington DC that I am most concerned about.

I love the action at the DCC and its the main reason I have gone to the event two years in a row. I just dont want to see unnecessary heat brought down in the event like posting pics of 20-30k being bet up on lights. I just think its an unnecessary risk to the players to put this up for anyone to see.

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
Monster John = Big Arm John???
Monster John and Big Arm John (AKA Muscle John) are two different people, but share a propensity for betting real high.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

uwate said:
Bignasty and jcrack_corn, I am only bringing up an issue that has happened before in history. The Johnston City event ran 11 years until 1972, when the feds raided the joint for gambling and tax evasion issues. 1972 was the last year of the event.

Yes, I have been the DCC. Just got back Wed in fact from spending 5 days there. And yes I did see the local police in the action room. The locals are not the problem that I was referring to. Its people who get their check from Washington DC that I am most concerned about.

I love the action at the DCC and its the main reason I have gone to the event two years in a row. I just dont want to see unnecessary heat brought down in the event like posting pics of 20-30k being bet up on lights. I just think its an unnecessary risk to the players to put this up for anyone to see.

I guess if all those unfriendly's did not know about all that money before, they probably do now. Thanks for bringing it up. DUH!

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Hi,

I don't know monster John, but Big Arm's propensity to bet high is more like will bet on a stone cold mortal lock. His gaff's and such always make me laugh.

BreakersOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get my money!!

I was wondering where I left all my money the other night, when I was playing pool in there, it was weighing down my pockets and I thought my pants was going to fall off, so I placed it up on the lights, so Timberly if you would be kind enough to get it down from the light for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, LOL;) :D

Roadie

Banned
Well, before you consider quitting your day job because you are blinded by the gross (meant any way you take it) amount on the light, you should consider the NET amount taken by the player AFTER the NUT is paid. While they are playing for nice sums, very often at the end of the day a player's whole net worth is in his pocket and it is isn't much by most people's standards of safety and security.

It is getting to the point at Derby however that 10K sets are rather normal. Gotta hand it to Greg Sullivan. He wanted to recreate Johnston City and I think he succeeded in REINVENTING it. Derby City has got to be more than Johnston City ever was. I mean really, 24 hour high stakes action, legends, roadies coming out of the woodwork, unending amount of shortstops with gamble, plenty of money in circulation, great tournaments, pool goodies, high and low end cues out the ass, and of course the forum communities that gather.

Somebody needs to be documenting this for the future. Well, I am definitely missing the action this year. Last year I managed to pull off a few small scores. You all that are there have my deepest envy :)

Have fun and get all the rolls.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Roadie said:
Well, before you consider quitting your day job because you are blinded by the gross (meant any way you take it) amount on the light, you should consider the NET amount taken by the player AFTER the NUT is paid. While they are playing for nice sums, very often at the end of the day a player's whole net worth is in his pocket and it is isn't much by most people's standards of safety and security.

So true. A great player told us at the DCC that a 10k first prize he won at a major event had a 1000 savor and then was chopped 3 ways with investors. He netted 3k with the other two guys making less since their net was less hotel and travel costs. 3k won't give alot of financial stability to someone, let alone a family.

I know I sounded paranoid earlier about the pics of money, I am just being a worry wart that misplaced priorities with the feds will make history repeat itself. I'd hate to see anything kill our pool nirvana that comes once a year.

Any agents on the board should take note that nearly all the gamblers we action fans know are dead busted most of the time and if you count their losses gambling, alot of them barely get by and end up having to take <shudder> real 9-5 jobs. Leaving them alone and letting them gamble like crazy might be the fastest method to getting them into jobs that bring in real taxes.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
u12armresl said:
Hi,

I don't know monster John, but Big Arm's propensity to bet high is more like will bet on a stone cold mortal lock. His gaff's and such always make me laugh.
Big Arm bet on Bartrum against Dennis with me, so I don't think calling him a locksmith is exactly fair.

If John likes the game he will bet. More times than not he is right. Say what you will but while other people talk about what they would or should have done John sends it in and lives with the results.

T

Timberly

Roadie said:

I don't know if you were talking to me or someone else, but I never said anything about the players having all that money. ;) I'm well aware of how it all gets cut up in the end and how what they have in their pocket is all most have. I was just making a statement about the amount of money, in cash, in front of me...

Timberly said:
For us working stiff's, the cash around here is sickening. I have to work 40 hrs a week for 6 months to get the total on the light of the Bartrum Appleton match. :eek:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Any agents on the board should take note that nearly all the gamblers we action fans know are dead busted most of the time and if you count their losses gambling, alot of them barely get by and end up having to take <shudder> real 9-5 jobs. Leaving them alone and letting them gamble like crazy might be the fastest method to getting them into jobs that bring in real taxes.[/QUOTE]

The reality is that most gamblers don't have a penny to their names for the most part, the people putting up the money for them to play form a corporation (or a group of people) to get all of the money together and by the time each "investor" (stakehorse) pays for their expenses and deducts their losses, they are in the hole big time. The expenses for staying at DCC are considerable when you consider the small amount of money that is gambled. I think a little careful reporting is in line as most of us don't want to see the action disappear regardless of the reasons. If you manage to break even after expenses and losses at DCC you should go make a donation to your local church or family shelter. If you are ahead after after expenses and losses, you should pay off some of your debt. :)
JoeyA

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The big winners had to be Dennis and Shane, who both had some monster wins. And Tony C. booked several nice winners as well.

Dennis continues to amaze me with his excellence at 9-Ball and Ten Ball. Simply the best player in the world roday! He gave nice spots to a great young champion in Chris Bartrum. Doubtful that anyone else could have given up these games and won. And there was serious money on the line both times.

Shane beat a terrific player at his game, when he took down Darren at Eight Ball. Also for some massive bucks. Shane just keeps getting better and better. Fast approaching the day when he can play Johnny, Rodney and Corey even. They are still the the highest rated American big guns. Sorry to say, they are the underdogs against the top filipino and Chinese guys.

In 9-Ball and Ten Ball worldwide, it begins with Dennis, Alex, Marlon, Ronnie and Busty. Yang is in the mix too. All others are a notch behind. I see Shane as the great American hope to challenge these masters. If he continues to progress as he has, in two years he may be playing even with Dennis.

I had the pleasure of flying back to Los Angeles with Dennis this morning. He showed me photos of his lovely wife and handsome four year old son. He also has a one month old daughter. I am sitting on the plane with the best pool player on the planet and talking pool with a few other people aboard. He sleeps soundly in the next seat. I tell them this small man is the best player in the world. The looks on their faces makes it clear I am not to be believed. They humor this older man (me) who is obviousy delusional.

Just goes to show you, when you meet a stranger and they tell you a tall tale, do not discount it too quickly. When Dennis awakes I tell him that the man on the other side of the aisle is an avid pool player, and wants to play him some. He just smiles. Dennis is so humble, you would never know he has this special talent. To him, it is just his job to travel halfway around the world and bring home the bacon.

At Derby City, with champions everywhere, no one has any interest in challenging Mr. Orcollo to a game. When his name is mentioned as a possible opponent, the blood rushes from the faces of these great players. I watched the last two hours of the final match up with Bartrum. Dennis missed exactly ZERO balls in this time. He did get out of line a couple of times and was forced to kick or play safe, which he did quite well.

What he did do during this time frame was run out from anywhere and everywhere. It seems that if he gets on the first ball, the rack is over. Devastating if you are his opponent, and demoralizing if you are thinlking of playing him. He will have to content himself with winning tournaments and getting the occasional game in Asia, or giving up big weight to play here.

I'm glad to watch. The last player who I saw play this speed was Parica in his prime. And you know what he did to all the top players in the 80's. Same thing, he gave up weight and busted them.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
By the way, the huge money on the light also concerns me some. For a different reason. It represents a huge score for some outlaws, and there are many in this neck of the woods. I have a not so pretty vision of two guys walking in with .45's. They need only wait for the cops to mosey on down the hall. No one would move a muscle if one guy jumped on the table and scooped the money into a bag. Out the door and into a waiting car and off to the freeway. Sayonara 20K.

It could happen. It wouldn't be the first time. Personally, I would never put this much money on a light. PERIOD! It's just too tempting. Forewarned is forarmed.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
By the way, the huge money on the light also concerns me some. For a different reason. It represents a huge score for some outlaws, and there are many in this neck of the woods. I have a not so pretty vision of two guys walking in with .45's. They need only wait for the cops to mosey on down the hall. No one would move a muscle if one guy jumped on the table and scooped the money into a bag. Out the door and into a waiting car and off to the freeway. Sayonara 20K.

It could happen. It wouldn't be the first time. Personally, I would never put this much money on a light. PERIOD! It's just too tempting. Forewarned is forarmed.

With all these pool players I don't think any bandits short of 20 would make out with the cash. I don't think they would make it out alive.....:p

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Jay ...

jay helfert said:
The big winners had to be Dennis and Shane, who both had some monster wins. And Tony C. booked several nice winners as well.

Dennis continues to amaze me with his excellence at 9-Ball and Ten Ball. Simply the best player in the world roday! He gave nice spots to a great young champion in Chris Bartrum. Doubtful that anyone else could have given up these games and won. And there was serious money on the line both times.

Shane beat a terrific player at his game, when he took down Darren at Eight Ball. Also for some massive bucks. Shane just keeps getting better and better. Fast approaching the day when he can play Johnny, Rodney and Corey even. They are still the the highest rated American big guns. Sorry to say, they are the underdogs against the top filipino and Chinese guys.

In 9-Ball and Ten Ball worldwide, it begins with Dennis, Alex, Marlon, Ronnie and Busty. Yang is in the mix too. All others are a notch behind. I see Shane as the great American hope to challenge these masters. If he continues to progress as he has, in two years he may be playing even with Dennis.

I had the pleasure of flying back to Los Angeles with Dennis this morning. He showed me photos of his lovely wife and handsome four year old son. He also has a one month old daughter. I am sitting on the plane with the best pool player on the planet and talking pool with a few other people aboard. He sleeps soundly in the next seat. I tell them this small man is the best player in the world. The looks on their faces makes it clear I am not to be believed. They humor this older man (me) who is obviousy delusional.

Just goes to show you, when you meet a stranger and they tell you a tall tale, do not discount it too quickly. When Dennis awakes I tell him that the man on the other side of the aisle is an avid pool player, and wants to play him some. He just smiles. Dennis is so humble, you would never know he has this special talent. To him, it is just his job to travel halfway around the world and bring home the bacon.

At Derby City, with champions everywhere, no one has any interest in challenging Mr. Orcollo to a game. When his name is mentioned as a possible opponent, the blood rushes from the faces of these great players. I watched the last two hours of the final match up with Bartrum. Dennis missed exactly ZERO balls in this time. He did get out of line a couple of times and was forced to kick or play safe, which he did quite well.

What he did do during this time frame was run out from anywhere and everywhere. It seems that if he gets on the first ball, the rack is over. Devastating if you are his opponent, and demoralizing if you are thinlking of playing him. He will have to content himself with winning tournaments and getting the occasional game in Asia, or giving up big weight to play here.

I'm glad to watch. The last player who I saw play this speed was Parica in his prime. And you know what he did to all the top players in the 80's. Same thing, he gave up weight and busted them.

Thanks for your insightful remarks about the action and Dennis. It allows us avid fans to peak through a window. I bet you even remember that old song, like me, 'Look through any Window', always loved that song.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thecardman said:
Interesting. ...
I have one question about playing ahead sessions v races. How does a player's mind set change when playing an ahead session as opposed to a race?

Thanks!

Well, player B takes a pool pill, you see, knowing that in an hour he'll be in dead stroke, but that damn player A, he runs 4 racks! Then, B misses a ball coz the pill is coming thru. Wouldn't you know it, player A runs that game and 3 more. 8 ahead, 20 minutes. Player B...high and dry.
Or so I've heard.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My last night there

I don't know if it has been reported but the Ring Ten ball Games went off on five nights. Four were $50 a man and the winners were Corey for over a grand the first night, Dennis O. for about a thou on night two, a break even night and finally Corey won again. In the one big game for $100 a man Johnny A. took it off for over two G's.

Other players who participated included Cliff, Francisco, Richie Orem, Gabe, Sparky, Mika, Frankie Tutone, Gandy Valle, Stoney Stone and Parica. Every night the game went, it drew a crowd to the TV arena. Did anyone see it on BCN?

Gary Serville from Kansas City helped me out, as did Jay Welch from Monterrey, CA. Thanks guys!

This post should have been titled The Ring Games! My mistake.

Last edited: