DCC Restaurant Comments anyone?

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
xianmacx said:
Not that its an excuse by any means.....

but if I had to "serve" some of the a$$hats in the pool world I would prolly be a little pissy also. 13 days of TRASHING the action room every night, tipping poorly and having a bunch of arrogant men treat me like im worthless. I bet the wait staff hate the derby. Ian
TRU ENUFF. HEY, BONNIE HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET AHOLD OF YOU . SHE CALL YOU YET???

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but, my friend and his girlfriend ate at the restaurant twice and they both said their food was horrible and the price was too. I think he said he had a chef salad and they charged like 9 or 10 dollars for it. I didn't eat there this year. I stayed for 2 days the first weekend and Thursday and Fri. the next week. I took a cooler and had sandwiches to survive on.
The first week, a lady came to our door and dropped off a room service menu. I guess the menu and prices change from whats normally in the guest book in the rooms.
Sounds to me like a lot of the staff in the rest. has been to the Bahama's taking lessons on service. The big difference for them here is, they aren't automatically gonna get a tip. In the Bahama's, a 15% tip is on everything, even if you walk to the bar and order a beer, the tip is added to the price.
It is still the best tournament in the world to go to. DCC is a great vacation for anyone who likes pool at all. Sam

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dcc-food

just got back after 5 days, and the buffet were good both morning and evening, service good, off the menu, was a no no STICK:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did eat at the restaurant several times. I had their soup three times. They called it "Country Style Burgoo," something between beef stew and vegetable beef soup. I have no idea what any other style burgoo is like.

I had a fish sandwhich that was pretty good. I had a burger that was somewhere between disappointing and horribly amateur.

Best meal I had was across the street at the Executive Inn which still had their full menu, a fantastic buffet, and tremendous service with a smile. I also had a great meal at the CrackerBarrel.

Longest wait was when we ordered Chinese delivery. After about 15 minutes, I handed the menu to another player who promptly ordered some delivery. The Chinese restaurant decided to wait until his stuff was done before making the three mile trek to the Executive West. All in all, it was about an hour and 15 minutes. Tasted great, though.

And finally, the concession stand added fried pork cutlet and fried chicken cutlet sandwiches to their otherwise pathetic offerings. They also had deli sandwiches which probably was their best bet. Still, I had my share of late night nasty chili dogs. When you're hungry, and it's 5:00 AM, I could'nt expect a gourmet meal, right?

Fred

Last edited:
U

Ummagumma

I can handle mediocre food (just put ketchup and mustard on it to make it taste good), but bad service really grills my goose, so to speak.

Here's a breakdown of my experience:

1st time: Service was prompt. An older blonde lady was my server, and there were no complaints. I ordered a fruit salad, ate 10 bites, asked to get the rest of it to go. No problems.

2nd time: From the time I sat down to when I received a menu, it was a 15-minute wait! Server never apologized for the wait. Another 10 minutes for the hamburger. Server apologized for the wait on that. This was about 2pm, so it wasn't that busy. Went up to pay check. Assistant manager and restaurant managers that were there never asked stuff like, "Hello, how are you, how was your meal." She was busy talking (not to me).

3rd time: Joined some friends who were already at the table at around dinner time. They had already ordered food. 10 or 15 minutes later, they still didn't receive their food, but server came by and stated it was late because the cod some of them ordered took the longest. I was thinking of ordering, but changed my mind. I left and I heard later it took another 10 minutes at least for them to get food.

Rest of the times were average. However, a bunch of small things:

- If you ask for relish or mayo, at least take it out of the small condiment packages and serve it in a cup! It's kind of tacky otherwise.

- If you ask for a burger with no onions, and for mustard, please don't bring a burger with onions, and don't force me to go hunt down a bottle of mustard.

I am not defending the restaurant at all, but like another poster said, I wonder at the small handful of players that may make them resent us. At the cash register, some guy gave $25 to the cashier and muttered "keep the change" and walked out. I looked at the bill and it was for $23.85. I cannot judge, and perhaps he really had bad service.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I ate there numerous times and for the most part it was average at best...only one time did I have a problem...when I ordered the T-bone it came to me less than a quarter of an inch thick and was grisly as hell...I sent it back and the "manager" said they were all like that...I told him that I ordered it earlier in the week and it wasn't anything like that and said forget about it and ordered the shrimp fettucine which was pretty good...
________

Last edited:

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Food !

I ate in the Hotel Restraunt for three of the day's that I was there. I thought the food was great. But you have to know, that I'm an old single guy that thinks Campbells Chicken Soup is great and served with crackers, is a Gormet Meal.

They did have a Bluegrass Eggs Benedict, that was fantastic, plus I got to see quite a few of the Champions there!!!

Beats Denny's in Michigan.

Tommyd1 :)

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vagabond said:
Based on the comments I read last year and this year it appears that the restaurant owner may be greedy besides lacking respect to the pool players.

I think if he was greedy, he would have been there, making sure that everything was going well and that players were taken care of so they'd come back and spend all their money there. More likely, he's not greedy and his manager is apathetic.

Sometimes greed is a good thing.

Cheers,
RC

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
We have just quit trying to eat anything other than breakfast at the hotel there. The breakfast buffet is OK...as long as your timing is good. Service there in the a.m. has always seemed to be good and sometimes even great.

Incidently, we noticed that the Cracker Barrel nearby was AWFUL this year, which really was a suprise to me from years past. Little gal that waited on us there spilled my buddy's breakfast on me....not even an apology. Food was below par for them. One very pleasant surprise for us this year was the Cardinal HOF Grill that's about 5-10 mins from the hotel. Their menu choices, service, food, etc. was absolutely SUPERB. If anyone is ever in the area or for the DCC next year....give it a try.

Sean

Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ate there 3 days and my service was great,3 old lady's and they were on top of everything.The food was another story.I had the reuben one day and burger the next and they were ok.I took one look at the dinner buffet and ran like hell,there was a dead cat on 264 coming in that looked better:eek: Breakfeat was very good,they lost money on that deal!

dacue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was bad, bad food, bad service, and will always be bad! The place is will never be a 5 star-or any star restaurant. The Derby pie is the only thing they serve, that is excellent. (they do not make it on site, they just serve it!). Better luck next year. Other than the food being bad. Everything else, I had a great time.
Dave

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
you shoudlve stayed at a better hotel on the outskirts of the town.

They have a cheesecake factory there which they do make on sitet. ITs awesome.

You'll shouldve ordered food from the town they have some awesome diners, with great service. The burger joint on 4th near catherine street, place is busy every lunch hour, cheesefries, bacon fries, gets me hungry thinking about it.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chili

i had the chili about 4 times...lol, it wasnt bad at all. also, i had the breakfast buffet which was ok... the gravy was runny though.
joey

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pleasantly surprised

After reading all the bad reports from previous years DCC's about the restaurant food I almost didn't even try the restaurant when I went to DCC this year. Well I had 2 breakfast buffets, 1 dinner buffet and ordered off the menu once. All of the food was good, not great. The service was very good I thought. So I was pleasantly surprised.
I especially liked that the breakfast buffet was available up until 1pm.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
misterpoole said:
I especially liked that the breakfast buffet was available up until 1pm.
Well what I really didn't like was that it wasn't open at 5:30 AM. Hell, McDonald's is open all night. They had hundreds of starving pool players right there, and they didn't think it necessary to open up earlier than usual.

We (Tims and I) could smell what they were cooking, but were told they weren't going to open for another hour. Teasing bastards. So it was off to the Waffle House for us.

Fred

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
cueandcushion said:
Post your experiences with the restaurant this year. I did notice that it was never as busy as it used to be. Everyone eating out now? Has it gotten THAT bad? ...
My routine was to get up at 9:30, get plenty of the breakfast buffet, and then get sandwiches or chili from the snack stand as needed. I usually lasted until about 9PM on breakfast. Grits! The service at breakfast was fine. From the stories about the dinner buffet, I'm glad I didn't try it. I do remember that it was disappointing a couple of times last year.

Breakfast with tip is $12.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
My routine was to get up at 9:30, get plenty of the breakfast buffet, and then get sandwiches or chili from the snack stand as needed. I usually lasted until about 9PM on breakfast. Grits! The service at breakfast was fine. From the stories about the dinner buffet, I'm glad I didn't try it. I do remember that it was disappointing a couple of times last year.

Breakfast with tip is $12.

Bob,
That was EXACTLY my routine as well.

I will point out for those desiring a more refined cuisine, that there is a great restaurant 4.3 miles away - Lynn's Paradise Cafe - open's at 7 A.M. - serves breakfast all day, but has gourmet food for dinner and lunch as well - very bizarre and eclectic decor. I always try to go there once or twice if I can tear my friends away from the venue.

curly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Bob,
That was EXACTLY my routine as well.

I will point out for those desiring a more refined cuisine, that there is a great restaurant 4.3 miles away - Lynn's Paradise Cafe - open's at 7 A.M. - serves breakfast all day, but has gourmet food for dinner and lunch as well - very bizarre and eclectic decor. I always try to go there once or twice if I can tear my friends away from the venue.

Thanks for the tip Willie...we'll try it next year. We had the breakfast buffet and the dinner buffet twice. We then went to Golden Coral one nite and Bob Evans another nite. The only problem leaving the hotel is finding a parking spot when returning. I circled for 40 minutes!! We also had some sandwiches at the snack bar which were ok. The dinner buffet wasn't that good. Maybe next year we'll try the bowling alley across the street..some say it was pretty good and reasonable.

Curly

Tim5000

Silver Member
Hotel Sends Guest Survey

The hotel sent me an email survey. That was a mistake. I went off on the restaurant. Here's what I wrote...

I was with Derby City Classic Billiard group. The restaurant & buffet need attention. Staff is reasonably friendly, but everyone seems unmotivated & slow. As if they need more strick supervision & motivation. About the food, I would rate it near hospital, or airline quality at best! THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO FEEL THE SAME WAY, YOUR RESTAURANT IS BECOMING NOTORIOUS, CHECK THIS WEB FORUM FOR COMMENTS FROM OUR GROUP, IT'S REALLY SAD. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51580