Kamui Clear Black - mis cue

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve put on a Kamui Clear black super soft and I have never mis cued so much in my life. It seems I need to scuff the tip every game. It’s cost me a quite a few games now.

Wondering if anyone else is having these issues. Looking for ideas on what to do so the tip holds chalk better.

Also any tips you recommend to use that hold chalk. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve put on a Kamui Clear black super soft and I have never mis cued so much in my life. It seems I need to scuff the tip every game. It’s cost me a quite a few games now.

Wondering if anyone else is having these issues. Looking for ideas on what to do so the tip holds chalk better.

Try an Ultraskin or a Thoroughbred. Had no problems. KB's have a reputation for glazing quickly.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never miss cued so much with a tip change. Pretty frustrating to pay that much and have these issues.

MrSharp

Registered
I have a couple Kamui black mediums I was going to put one onto one of my cues but now not sure I want to, shame as they were pricy, only bonus I guess is I have a lathe so install is free.

Can't be worse than the Everest that came on it, lost the centre of the tip after about 3-4 hrs of regular play and had to take it down 2 layers to re-shape.

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple Kamui black mediums I was going to put one onto one of my cues but now not sure I want to, shame as they were pricy, only bonus I guess is I have a lathe so install is free.

Can't be worse than the Everest that came on it, lost the centre of the tip after about 3-4 hrs of regular play and had to take it down 2 layers to re-shape.

I bought a lathe to put them on myself. Just shaved about 1/8” off to see if it will help. But I’m not impressed with these tips.

What tip is best? Holds chalk and doesn’t deform much?

Just ordered some hybrid cyborg tips and Moori. Hope I can find the right one soon.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Thoroughbred tips that I sell hold chalk extremely well and don't glaze over like a lot of layered tips do. Kamui tips, especially the black versions have been notorious for glazing over. In recent years, the glazing has become worse. The thoroughbred tips are only $10. If you have any questions, send me a PM or check them out at http://www.thoroughbredtips.com

Attachments

• 20170730_181342.jpg
    20170730_181342.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Thoroughbred tips that I sell hold chalk extremely well and don't glaze over like a lot of layered tips do. Kamui tips, especially the black versions have been notorious for glazing over. In recent years, the glazing has become worse. The thoroughbred tips are only $10. If you have any questions, send me a PM or check them out at http://www.thoroughbredtips.com
These are really nice tips. Hold shape AND chalk well. I hit mine with a light scuff every now-n-then and you're good.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put on some Ultra-skin softs and get rid of the Kamui Black SS.

I had those on a couple of my shafts and they never did play the way I thought they should and they kept glazing up. Too much hassle with them.

Went to the Ultra-skins and don't have any problems now.

MrSharp

Registered
Right now the best tip I have for holding chalk is the Victory Med that came on my Predator Ikon cue, I use just plain old Masters chalk and I can go lot's of hits and still good, most of the time I go to chalk out of habit and it's still good. Also hardly have to scuff or pick it, I've been leaving it to see how long it can go without touch up and it's holding strong. I also notice if Just me playing with that cue my table stays cleaner longer, way less chalk marks on it.

That all being said I'm just in it for fun and enjoyment and haven't tried a lot of different tips as I just got back into playing, but out of the ones I have on cues Everest, Moori, Emerald, and the Predator, it is ahead in my books so far. Just installed a Kamui black med today on a different cue as already had it, can tell already it doesn't hold as well.

Next tips I'll be trying are the KamiKaze I just got, not sure when I'm out of cues to install on and don't feel like replacing brand new tips.

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was having a bad miscue issue with my Kamui. Changed to Cyborg Quick/Medium. I am doing much better and no miscues

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get rid of that Kamui crap, I'm telling you.

Order some Ultra-skins and get it over with.

I ordered some from Tom on Monday and got them in the mail today.

For what you pay for one Kamui, you can get about 10 Ultra-skins.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did you remember to cut off the plastic layer before sanding the tip?

I also use the same tip and have not had any issues. Even if I use a house cue with a glazed tip, probably wouldn't miscue as much as you by the sounds of it.

Sounds to me like the tip is either fake, badly installed, you need to work on your stroke or you are exaggerating. Assuming you run the table at 9 ball, thats scruffing the tip every nine hits?

In my experience, if you prep the tip correctly, it will hold chalk for a very long while if you chalk every shot. Once you start skipping, its all downhill

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Kamui actually means Miscue in Japanese. great company, I can't stand those miscue snake snot tips however. I've given them plenty of my money and won't ever do it again. the chalk is WAY over priced but is a decent product by the way. surely designed to make those greased owl shit tips stop sliding off the ball. Just my opinion from way to much experience. Loving my old Hercules 12 layer med. and my new Kamikaze's!

jamesV1993

Registered
I actually switched tips due to the last 2 kamui tips I had installed were crap. I got 2 super soft tips and both of them felt like medium or even hard tips. I went to ultraskin soft. Haven't had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get rid of that Kamui crap, I'm telling you.

Order some Ultra-skins and get it over with.

I ordered some from Tom on Monday and got them in the mail today.

For what you pay for one Kamui, you can get about 10 Ultra-skins.

I still say the same thing.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try cutting one entire layer off, and re shape. Take care to not get any wax or grease on tip while dressing the sides. Could be a bad tip too. It happens, but not often.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the Kamui Black Clear in soft and super soft. Never had a problem with glazing or the hardness.
If you are miscuing a lot, it likely isn’t the tip’s fault but you could always have a bad tip. Usually it is
poor chalking, tip maintenance on tip shape or using too much English. 2 tips of English is typically a
invitation to miscue or aiming too low or high on draw and follow shots. Chalk creates friction...that’s it.
The shape of your tip & where it lands on the cue ball are usually more contributory reasons for miscuing.