Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very, very nice looking set of the
1776 Bicentennial 1976 Limited Edition Hyatts with a Liberty Bell cue ball that looks pristine, Mr bfriesth!

So - are you going to play those beauties or just stand there and ogle them all day and night upon a sweet shelf in your pool room, sir - like our good friend and fellow phenolic fanatic, Rubik’s Cube?

Thanks for sharing, bfriesth - these always take me back to the first day I saw them as a youngster back in SD playing on “snow days” and are in my Top 10 favorites of all time.

~ K.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
It was you, Mr. K, in a post or a PM that said your collection is meant to be played. I have adapted that same strategy. I enjoy having some historical sets. I like my Burt Clay and my old Brunswick. I'm also going to keep my eye out for a couple more such as the Zig Zag and the Direct but the others I intend to use. If they are playable I'm going to play them.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was you, Mr. K, in a post or a PM that said your collection is meant to be played. I have adapted that same strategy. I enjoy having some historical sets. I like my Burt Clay and my old Brunswick. I'm also going to keep my eye out for a couple more such as the Zig Zag and the Direct but the others I intend to use. If they are playable I'm going to play them.

I’ve always found there is a story, purpose or passion behind the “why” of everything (most) people do - especially “collectors” and “fun fanatics” as I’ll call them. (us ;-)

This became even more apparent when a friend and fellow player at the house was looking over my ball collection one day and asked the typical questions like “How old are they?/Are they for a special game?/What does a ball set like that cost?/Do you actually play with them or are you only preserving them for future generations?” and so on. But then he fires off the interesting question I don’t get too often: “I wonder what they used to SOUND like when people USED TO play them?”

What was that?

USED TO play them?

Au contraire, my friend!

We shall play them now and find out

That is how it started. IF there was a ball set deemed too rare or valuable or fragile for any reason, well, I’d seek out another identical sister set and play one of those, preserving the “perfect” set to be ogled, as I poked fun of doing earlier They ALL get played. Without hesitation or reservation. Regularly. Share them and pass along the stories and the sounds of the glorious clays and the Bakelites. Even back to the early nitrocellulose creations from the late 1800’s. From the Crystallite and the polyesters to the cheap resins and the pricey phenolics . First generation Centennials versus the Hyatts.

And then there are the unique Raschigs. You’d recognize that unique “crack!” of an opening break shot anywhere as well as the sharp “clack!” during normal play. Those of you that have them know exactly what I’m talking about.

It was, and still is the uniqueness in SOUND that I appreciate along with every unique nuance in design - and of course the stories of how they all came to be.

And the only way to experience all of THAT, my friends, is to play them. On the shelf, they are only objects and stories. But playing them on the table and in your hands, well, now we have experienced them!

Even the Romaniques

Anyone for a game of Roman Empire?

2704c2ece4eb9c4cf0b0073e938d4b99.jpg

~ K.

Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi K2Kraze,

thank you so much for the insights you give us. Most of us will never experience those sounds.

I think you mentioned somewhere in the thread that you don't power break the more fragile sets, correct? Like only 14.1 or 1P-breaks, right?

BTW, have you ever played an ivory ball set? Not that I would want one produced nowadays - we all know the reasons why. But I have seen one in one of the former Bavarian kings' castles (on an old table under glass) and always wondered how they would have played.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
My crazy rabid Green Bay fan Brother in Law is coming for a visit today. First my Broncos are going to kick but on the Pac....

IMG_5554.jpg

Then we may have the very first Broncos pre-season intersquad exhibition game.

Pre Season.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5559.jpg
    IMG_5559.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 320

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice kickoff layouts you have there, Brent! 2 full sets of your favorite team to assemble those I know. Those orange and navy Broncos are striking! It’s time for me to get the Dallas Cowboys ready for a Colorado trip and playoff game.

I’ll fire over a copy of the FOOTBALL rule set for you guys to try and see what you think when playing the 11-man teams with the 2 referee balls.

[I sure hope I’ve been a good influence with your ball set pursuits and not the opposite forcing dog-house blues at the bfriesth house ]

~ K.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Sorry

Mr. K was complaining about a sore neck looking at my sideways photos. Sorry to all of you that have a kink in your neck because of my inferior technology skills. Attached is an upright photo of my Broncos looking for the next competitor.

IMG_5605.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Mr B. :)

Many thanks for sharing more beautiful photographs, sir.

Did you happen to notice the fellow on eBay who has listed sixty-four new referee balls for $379? He’s had them up for a while now with no bidders so might be inclined to accept a lower bid if anyone is interested. I was thinking it might perhaps be an opportunity for a few of the guys on here who collect NFL stuff to club together and each nab themselves a full set of sixteen referee balls at a bargain price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Large-...993180?hash=item56c5ef795c:g:UPYAAOSwIPZc~7-2

Best wishes,
RC.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
That’s hilarious. There are actually 7 refs on the field in an NFL game so Mr. K2K could modify his NFL game to have 7 refs on the table but you might need a table larger than 9’.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe add some cheerleaders Mr. K?

I would have replied earlier, but I was working on doctor ordered exercises for that kinked neck of mine, Mr bfriesth. What got me chuckling more than your comments here in the PBC thread was when ole doc asked what I was doing to get the kink - and after mentioned playing a Pro Football billiard game, well, the look of confusion on his face was priceless

In all seriousness, I hope I was able to help with a few tips regarding pics and such - your shared photos are looking better with each offering, sir!

Cheerleaders, huh? Well....I have a few ideas regarding that, however, that ball set is reserved for a special post that this forum isn’t ready for.

7 referees. Yeah, I thought about that. And it does make for a very unique and challenging game when using 7 of each men from rivalry teams, putting 21 total balls on the field which is nearly ideal. The two referee ball option seemed to work perfectly during the 120+ test games with just enough distraction and challenge when used with the perfect 11-man teams. 24 total balls on the field (plus the cue ball of course) BUT....4 referees may be a interesting idea. I’ll lay that out and start testing Sunday.

And speaking of competition, I just racked up a friendly rivalry game that my son asked about recently, so here it is:

012a9ec6879969c62fa9e2ff5741fd5d.jpg

His Arizona Cardinals vs the hometown favorite Dallas Cowboys. Reds vs the Blues.

Speaking of rivalry. Something caught my eye in the Starbucks line this early morning....I’m sure we’ll have the chance for a great Broncos vs Cowboys match one day, bfriesth, and I’ll be sure to bring along this little beauty for that espresso shot you’ll serve up during pre-game:

144715c55330e8df6ec737ffa2da6757.jpg

Cheerleaders. I’m still laughing.

~ K.

Last edited:

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Just found I had an old box of small clay balls; completely forgot I had them.
If they're of any interest to a collector, pay for shipping and they're yours.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
just found i had an old box of small clay balls; completely forgot i had them.
If they're of any interest to a collector, pay for shipping and they're yours.

5.......4...............3.....................2................................1.........................................

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi K2Kraze,

I think you overlooked that one - doc and all. May I ask again for your opinion?

Hi K2Kraze,

thank you so much for the insights you give us. Most of us will never experience those sounds.

I think you mentioned somewhere in the thread that you don't power break the more fragile sets, correct? Like only 14.1 or 1P-breaks, right?

BTW, have you ever played an ivory ball set? Not that I would want one produced nowadays - we all know the reasons why. But I have seen one in one of the former Bavarian kings' castles (on an old table under glass) and always wondered how they would have played.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi K2Kraze,

I think you overlooked that one - doc and all. May I ask again for your opinion?

My sincere apologies, Meucciplayer - I sure did pass by your post and question back on the 13th...thank you for bringing to my attention, sir.

The older sets that I would consider “fragile” are indeed the clay sets, and yes, those I’ll play 14.1 all day long with - considering cue ball speed always of course. Zero issues so far, but I’m always prepared for the worst.

Ivories. That’s another (short) story.

For numerous personal reasons all centering around respect for fellow players in my regular group of guys as well as a few close collectors around the globe , I’ve decided not to collect or play the ivory ball sets. Now, I do have a few - all gifted to me through a couple friends - probably because they didn’t know what to do with them any more

I certainly know what they feel and look like, with one nearby to remind me of where this game has been and how it has evolved from darker days. A quiet, unspoken reminder of days I’ll never know but days still worthy of reflection when on the table.

~ K.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks a lot, K2Kraze. Could you describe how those ivories play - duller? Do they bank differently? I suppose they sound a lot different from modern ones, too.

It is not that I want to buy a set of ivories but that set in the castle made me really, really curious how they played. It is like old golf balls - they play entirely different - you know, the wound ones. Not even daring to think how those old featheries must have played :)