Got 3 hours??? An Idea.....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Tor Lowry has a youtube video up that is close to 3 hours in length and is free to watch... I don't want to get into the whole Tor Jimmy thing it's been beat to death....

What I do want to do is spend the weekend watching it and then have a discussion about it here in this thread.... I figure several of you will likely be forced inside this weekend like I will be (it's supposed to be a wet weekend)... So if you are so inclined to watch it and then come on here to discuss it or ask questions on the areas that are not quite clear I would think we would all have some fun and maybe learn a thing or 2....

Since Tor's is free this is where I would like to start... We can move on to the SEE System, Darren's new dvd, Shane's DVDs, The advanced pro-book, Geno's and Lee Brett's as we go but those required people to purchase them so this would be a good place to start...

There is lots of great information out there but it really sinks in when you can speak naturally about the subject and that comes from understanding and usually the give and take of ideas...

Tor's video can be found here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm-VDuGzJS4 .. If we get good participation we might be able to get some of the DVD folks willing to give away a few copies to the folks that would like to do this every month......

Chris

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Great idea Ren. I have all of Tor's videos and all for them.

Don't know if I am esspert enuff to be giving any critiques but know that all the videos are well worth the money, even if the only thing a person can do is glean a few great point from each one.

I even believe that the 50 dollar vids are very much worth it. Take away a few good points, improve your game and your head, money well spent IMHO.

I'm in. Just provide a link when you start the Thread.

BTW, as a side, Tor essentially gives his videos away. Lots of free stuff and the ones that cost don't break the bank. A person should just find and follow him on Face Book if you use it and keep updated on anything new.

Other than a couple of Haters, from the past, Tor doesn't really have any detractors so the thread should be safe. His only detractors only come around AZB when they have something to flog.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Great idea Ren. I have all of Tor's videos and all for them.

Don't know if I am esspert enuff to be giving any critiques but know that all the videos are well worth the money, even if the only thing a person can do is glean a few great point from each one.

I even believe that the 50 dollar vids are very much worth it. Take away a few good points, improve your game and your head, money well spent IMHO.

I'm in. Just provide a link when you start the Thread.

BTW, as a side, Tor essentially gives his videos away. Lots of free stuff and the ones that cost don't break the bank. A person should just find and follow him on Face Book if you use it and keep updated on anything new.

Other than a couple of Haters, from the past, Tor doesn't really have any detractors so the thread should be safe. His only detractors only come around AZB when they have something to flog.

Go watch the free one again if you would Bruce... Just to refresh... I have not watched it but I intend to in the next 2 days... Will start discussing it likely Monday and am sure I will have questions and observations of the materials that you may have different takes on....

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I will happily do this if you want a more novice opinion about it too.

Actually I think it would be great to have all different levels of players opinions... We have people ask all the time which video do they need to watch... If we do this for several offerings and get feedback we will know what material is geared best for different levels.....

Chris

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched the video.
I will watch it again.
I will participate.

Great idea, BTW.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea! Have already seen the video. It's certainly worth watching. Never hurts to work on your game or refresh.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If I can carve out the three hours this weekend, I will do so, as well. (Lot of stuff going on, but it's possible!)

If I don't get to it this weekend, I'll try and catch up next week.

Goodness knows I can use the help! Great idea, Chris.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I think I'll have time this weekend to watch it or most of it, anyway.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great idea. Tor has a lot of great stuff in his freebies and his download. You can count me in for 2 reasons: 1. Sharing ideas about pool is a great way to learn. It's like bits and pieces that make up a puzzle. Sooner or later, hopefully the light will go on and you will have one of those precious aaahhhaaa moments. 2. My butt is glued to a chair right now because I tore my Achilles' tendon - got lots of time.

Will watch again. Let me know when we start.

Doug

Eagles89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor Lowry has a youtube video up that is close to 3 hours in length and is free to watch... I don't want to get into the whole Tor Jimmy thing it's been beat to death....

What I do want to do is spend the weekend watching it and then have a discussion about it here in this thread.... I figure several of you will likely be forced inside this weekend like I will be (it's supposed to be a wet weekend)... So if you are so inclined to watch it and then come on here to discuss it or ask questions on the areas that are not quite clear I would think we would all have some fun and maybe learn a thing or 2....

Since Tor's is free this is where I would like to start... We can move on to the SEE System, Darren's new dvd, Shane's DVDs, The advanced pro-book, Geno's and Lee Brett's as we go but those required people to purchase them so this would be a good place to start...

There is lots of great information out there but it really sinks in when you can speak naturally about the subject and that comes from understanding and usually the give and take of ideas...

Tor's video can be found here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm-VDuGzJS4 .. If we get good participation we might be able to get some of the DVD folks willing to give away a few copies to the folks that would like to do this every month......

Chris
i will watch it.like pool videos.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be interested in participating. I already have a couple questions about the video but hadn't thought about starting a thread.

I will kick it off with this one. About a closed bridge, he shows a loose loop whereas most instructors feel the shaft should be snug inside the bridge. Possible reasons for the difference? I am not sure how his closed bridge is much different from an open bridge because it isn't tight.

vvsels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great idea. i have watchec it couple of times but dont mind watching it again.

count me in

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I volunteer to bring the perspective of a newbie (C trying to become C+/B-).

I watched the videos about six months ago and bought the DVD a couple months ago. The two-hour long youtube video covers an amazing amount of the material on the DVD. The DVD basically gives more examples, practice routines, etc. Well worth the money ($39?, I forget).

I can tell you that my banking and kicking has improved significantly. If I miss a bank now, it's because of my stroke...not because I didn't know where to aim or what spin (if any) to use.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris
You can't just watch for 3 hours and have an assessment or even a discussion. It is a lot of information that has to be absorbed in small increments.

You are going to get so many snap judgment and knee jerk opinions that it will be chaotic. People have to watch it in their own time and apply what they see and it works for them.

I have seen the whole video some time ago and there is a lot of good information as well as things I didn't agree with or at least have other ideas about. I am afraid you may just end up with a lot of debate.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
You can't just watch for 3 hours and have an assessment or even a discussion. It is a lot of information that has to be absorbed in small increments.

You are going to get so many snap judgment and knee jerk opinions that it will be chaotic. People have to watch it in their own time and apply what they see and it works for them.

I have seen the whole video some time ago and there is a lot of good information as well as things I didn't agree with or at least have other ideas about. I am afraid you may just end up with a lot of debate.

That's the whole reason for the thread... You can watch a video over and over and keep learning things because you will see something new each time you watch it... With a bunch of us watching we will all have different things we come away with which will indeed lead to lots of debates and a mastering of the material all the quicker.....

At least thats the theory....

Chris

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the whole reason for the thread... You can watch a video over and over and keep learning things because you will see something new each time you watch it... With a bunch of us watching we will all have different things we come away with which will indeed lead to lots of debates and a mastering of the material all the quicker.....

At least thats the theory....

Chris

I actually watched it again today. There is a lot of content there. Things that may be new to some or things that others may have forgotten. He spends a lot of time on strategies in 9 ball and 8 ball.The thing I think he does best is he tells you things and the theory behind his thinking.

That is much better then saying "Do it this way". If the person knows why they are doing something, they can see where it applies to other situations. I think your idea it a good one but if people are discussing the entire video at one time they will be all over the place.

Maybe divide it up into different sections and discuss them in more detail. He does a good job with the voice over type of instruction. I never liked it when players try to talk to the camera as they demonstrate.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor is proof that one doesn't need to be a current or former champion to be a world class instructor.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I was lucky enough to be a participant in Tor's "14 Day Experiment" in April. So, I can give that type of perspective.

Tor is an AMAZING instructor. I wish I could have had 14 months with him. I really feel that when I'm in stroke, I'm a solid 2 balls better. The rate of improvement is staggering. The sky is the limit, at this point. It's like I discover something new almost every session at the table.