US Amateur Championships

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious do you have to win a preliminary round to advance to the championships?! Or do they take a percentage of the top finishers of each preliminary round?!

Thanks

Mike

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
You have to win a bracket in the preliminary round.... I got put out 1 round before semis..........

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
You have to win your way in. Won my bracket at Premium Billiards in Syracuse, NY last night. Twenty nine players. Two qualified. See you folks in Palm Harbor in November!!!!

Lyn

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to win your way in. Won my bracket at Premium Billiards in Syracuse, NY last night. Twenty nine players. Two qualified. See you folks in Palm Harbor in November!!!!

Lyn

good luck to you.:thumbup:

i will check the board in our area tomorrow when i stop by. when i was there today it looked about like there were 60-70 players in our qualifier here in memphis.

i saw a kot if new faces but i also saw people i knew. players from apa 5's all the way up to some pretty strong local players.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
They usually send one person per every 15 or 16 entries. I just got home from qualifiers. I won the winners side of my brackets to get smoked 11-0 by Taylor Anderson from Kansas City. The kid was on fire. I had a couple chances but didn't take advantage of it. Looks like Dustin Morris will get the other spot. He won APA singles 9 ball in 2012. He don't miss much either

danomano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got through my bracket this year in Atlanta at Mr. Cues for the 4th year running.

Fields seem to be getting tougher and tougher each year. First 2 years I ran right through without a loss or a particularly close match. Last 2 years I had to fight through the losers bracket and faced very very strong players in the finals.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a site that has where play-in tourneys are held? I've never heard of these...thanks!

Gary

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got through my bracket this year in Atlanta at Mr. Cues for the 4th year running.

Fields seem to be getting tougher and tougher each year. First 2 years I ran right through without a loss or a particularly close match. Last 2 years I had to fight through the losers bracket and faced very very strong players in the finals.

Yes it's getting tougher. Partly because B players like me aren't showing up in the numbers that they used to. 5 years ago Mr. Cues had 120 entrants and qualified 8. Now, they had 80 and qualified 5.

One of the blind draw brackets had a 2nd place, a 13th place, a 5th place and a top 50 place national finisher in the quarter finals. It would have been brutal to be in that bracket.

Congrats on your finish and good play.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Here's the scoop from what I know in Florida :

Qualifier at Amy's in Stuart: Raymond Linares, Prescott buckwold , Ted Harris , Eric Veve , David singleton

Qualifier at Zingales in Tallahassee: Ralph Napolitano, Justin Ledford , Greg McCormick and myself David Uwate

A large number qualified from strokers in Tampa. The field was 130+ I heard.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the scoop from what I know in Florida :

Qualifier at Amy's in Stuart: Raymond Linares, Prescott buckwold , Ted Harris , Eric Veve , David singleton

Qualifier at Zingales in Tallahassee: Ralph Napolitano, Justin Ledford , Greg McCormick and myself David Uwate

A large number qualified from strokers in Tampa. The field was 130+ I heard.

12 of us from Strokers qualified. 12 more from the balt. wash area also

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just realized who you are. You ran through a bracket that had three people consistently in the top 25 in Tampa.

Who were the other 4 qualifiers? I decided to hit the road early to take care of some stuff around the house.

Play well and good luck in Tampa. I hope they stream it again.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Does anyone know Brian parks? I heard he won it like three times. I mean that's no pro field but still the amount of ppl you have to go thru is more than playing a pro event. It's like winning the WSOP three times. The odds are not forever in your favor.

He must be strong enough to be a mid caliber pro though. Anyone have video of him playing?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know Brian parks? I heard he won it like three times. I mean that's no pro field but still the amount of ppl you have to go thru is more than playing a pro event. It's like winning the WSOP three times. The odds are not forever in your favor.

He must be strong enough to be a mid caliber pro though. Anyone have video of him playing?

Here's two from the US Am Champs finals, 2013, 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFcm2BpkPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0nYCUQ780

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Uh.. Yea... Brian parks is definitely not an amateur lol. Just watched his matches on YouTube.

So is the us amateur open to all players? What determines if u can or cannot play?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uh.. Yea... Brian parks is definitely not an amateur lol. Just watched his matches on YouTube.

So is the us amateur open to all players? What determines if u can or cannot play?

as far as i know it is open to any current apa member.

saw a few s/l 5;s in our qualifier this weekend.

we had 42 men and 12 women in our qualifier. 3 men and 1 woman qualified from here in memphis.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its open to all players that could not be considered a professional. The fee is 10 dollars cheaper for apa members.

bman

Registered
To iamcalvin06,

Thanks for watching videos of me. As far me being an amateur is concerned....I am!
I can play at a high level now and again but no where near the worst pro.
They play tons of pool and gamble everyday. I'm so inconsistent compared to a pro.
To fit the criteria for US Am' s they try hard to make sure the players aren't ranked pros and you should have a full time job. I'm an insurance agent since 1999 and have a great family. I'm not sure where you draw the line on US Am's but I do enjoy playing the event at which you have to pay your way there and your playing for a trophy! The players are all awesome guys and girls who play for the love of the game. There's tons of amateurs out there that would and could win. They choose not to because there's no money.
Anyway can't wait to see everyone and defend my title. I'm gonna need a lot of luck!!!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I can tell you one more thing about Brian Parks. It's not that he won the US Amateur twice. It's the fact he won the Andy Mercer 9 Ball Classic in Las Vegas in 2008. Check the entry list or the list of past winners and you get a more truthful overview of his ability. He beat Parika in the finals. Can't forget that one. We had part of Jose in the auction!

Lyn