The real reason Mike Dechaine withdrew from the World Straight Pool

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we can agree to disagree. He was told his seeding… for better or worse, he was told he's the 3 seed. Since he got 5th last year and only 3 who placed above him were returning, it's not that unreasonable. Regardless, if that's the seeding he was given, it shouldn't change. Especially which Charlie could no longer benefit from him doing well.

I totally agree with you on this point.

That said, it happened to Keith at the 2004 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. Keith came in third place in 2003 and was supposed to be seeded. One senior player went behind the curtain and told the T.D. and promoter to seed senior players, some of whom only competed in one senior tournament that entire year. Keith lost his seeding because of it, even though he was supposed to be seeded. I'll never forget it. If we hadn't spent all the money to go there, e.g., hotel reservations, entry fee, et cetera, I think I would have gone back home. I do remember how upset I was, more so than Keith, I think.

Mike should be commended for standing up for what is right.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we can agree to disagree. He was told his seeding… for better or worse, he was told he's the 3 seed. Since he got 5th last year and only 3 who placed above him were returning, it's not that unreasonable. Regardless, if that's the seeding he was given, it shouldn't change. Especially which Charlie could no longer benefit from him doing well.
I'm not sure if we even disagree. I've agreed the seeding shouldn't change. I'm not attempting to paint CW in a more favorable light. I'm just pointing out that, based on his own post, Mike doesn't come off in a very favorable light here either.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I don't know that Mike would have said a word publicly if Charlie wouldn't have bashed him on facebook and other pros started piling on.

I get that but it still goes back to the point of airing your laundry in public is a bad idea. There are ways to deal with that stuff without feeding it.

I'm not putting all this on Mike at all. He got caught in the same orbit as others before him with similar results. I'm sure he learned from this experience and will be wiser for it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
now its Mikes word vs Charlies word ......... Charlie has a pretty bad track record, just sayin......

That's correct and it's no secret so why would anyone align themselves with CW ,, it's not like he was bought in a Calcutta ,, CW was putting him in ,, seriously Mike couldn't find anyone else to put him in ,,
When you make a deal with the devil you going to get burned
Commending him on dropping out is laughable

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the guy running the tournament places people in arbitrary seeds and takes a cut of the winnings by basically staking them.

Interesting, very interesting.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then of course there is the issue with Charlie keeping extra keys to women players hotel rooms and sneaking into their rooms when they were sleeping.
Cosby complex? If factually true and he's bringing his smartphone, he might be gathering footage for a different, seamy sort of video production in case the pool ventures implode.

Videos or not, such demeaning intrusions (if true to a legal certainty) eventually result in police reports. Given the rumors' implied wide circulation it seems obvious some lady players must have spotted and recognized the intruder but stayed intimidatedly silent except for whispers among themselves.

Arnaldo

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
And some cry "It should be an official World Championship"

As for Mike I don't think he is such a crusader for truth and justice here. More of a party to a business deal that decided to pull out when the goal posts were moved. I don't blame him. He should of kept his mouth shut publicly and handled it among the players. This is the type of publicity that will run off a benefactor quickly. Once again proof that people need to handle their business off of facebook. Judging by the deleted posts all involved figured this out too late.

All that said nothing will happen. Charlie is like some weird teflon covered entity that nothing sticks to. No matter what it just gets ignored and eventually forgotten. Most of all by the players. So if they don't care I don't either. Long live backroom deals, sweetheart set ups and Charlie's seeding system.

I would agree with this IF we didn't have to listen to the pro pool player tell us fans that we don't know how difficult their life is, that they should be paid more, that they are talked bad about, yada yada yada. Maybe if they stood up for themselves then it would make a difference.

If the players didn't finally say something but had sat back and didn't care that Tom Brady cheated -- then why should I care to watch the game in the first place.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the guy running the tournament places people in arbitrary seeds and takes a cut of the winnings by basically staking them.

Interesting, very interesting.

In other words, he is like the generous pimp who invests in his pros and takes a cut , Generous cos he does not keep all the earnings to himself :grin-square:

conan-s-dance-moves-o.gif

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree with this IF we didn't have to listen to the pro pool player tell us fans that we don't know how difficult their life is, that they should be paid more, that they are talked bad about, yada yada yada. Maybe if they stood up for themselves then it would make a difference.

If the players didn't finally say something but had sat back and didn't care that Tom Brady cheated -- then why should I care to watch the game in the first place.

Who's the dog in this photo? The player, the promoter, or the TD?

Attachments

• 11183449_10153266801506112_1662058881123212555_n.jpg
    11183449_10153266801506112_1662058881123212555_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 414

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

I agree it gets old hearing some say they should be paid on par with major sports when a big crowd at an event is a hundred people and five hundred online.

As for standing up..when they stood up with the boycott of the Open they got hammered. Its a tough spot to be in. My initial thought is just do not play in events with shady promoters. Two years tops they won't be around any more. Problem is its unlikely a better one will fill that void. Putting people on blast on social media will just run off the few sponsors around not the promoters.

I see both sides of people supporting or not what Mike did. I personally would of just went about it a different way. Based on removing the posts I'm guessing he and others had a change of heart about leaving words in public.

I don't understand the Brady reference I didnt follow the situation.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to add a little thread drift here, has anybody noticed the coincidence that it is Thorsten's *and* Shane's birthday today? :smile:

Attachments

• 47fdd376659a5f3f4a589911cf96deb8.jpg
    47fdd376659a5f3f4a589911cf96deb8.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 644

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Just to add a little thread drift here, has anybody noticed the coincidence that it is Thorsten's *and* Shane's birthday today? :smile:

I saw that as well, but Shane's B-day is the 24th according to Wiki.

WTH...? an hour ago it said 24th. Now it says 14th.

Voodoo

Last edited: