Somebody explain non-layered tips to me.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using Everest and I like them but I might switch back to a non-layered tip.

I formerly used Trangle. Not pressed or milked, just regular Triangle out of the box.

What are the pros and cons, is there a type of non-layered which is better than others?

I love the Everest when they are new but after a while they get hard as a rock.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure you've seen the posts on here about the Ki-Tech tips. It's not just marketing, one of the top tips I've used in 25 years, including the original Moori's in that list. Hardness like a Kamui Black Soft after the Ki-Tech gets broken in, but remains soft unlike the Kamui which hardens in a few months. Never needed shaping. People say good things about the Ultraskin tips here but the couple of people I've talked to personally about them did not like them at all.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Non-layered tips are just that. Non-layered. Single layer tips have only one layer.
You might think about trying the new FourSkin tip from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Made with four layers of carefully selected leathers, the FourSkin is guaranteed to meet the demands of today's discerning pool players.
And, coming out this week is the new Multi-cultural FourSkin. Crafted with four layers of White, Black, Asian, and Guatemalan; it's a tip that will most assuredly become a world beater. Get yours today. :smile:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure you've seen the posts on here about the Ki-Tech tips. It's not just marketing, one of the top tips I've used in 25 years, including the original Moori's in that list. Hardness like a Kamui Black Soft after the Ki-Tech gets broken in, but remains soft unlike the Kamui which hardens in a few months. Never needed shaping. People say good things about the Ultraskin tips here but the couple of people I've talked to personally about them did not like them at all.

No, first I've heard about Ki-Tech. I might give them a try. Do they mushroom?

danomano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Non-layered tips are just that. Non-layered. Single layer tips have only one layer.
You might think about trying the new FourSkin tip from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Made with four layers of carefully selected leathers, the FourSkin is guaranteed to meet the demands of today's discerning pool players.
And, coming out this week is the new Multi-cultural FourSkin. Crafted with four layers of White, Black, Asian, and Guatemalan; it's a tip that will most assuredly become a world beater. Get yours today. :smile:

FourSkin tips? :wink:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, first I've heard about Ki-Tech. I might give them a try. Do they mushroom?

I have tried one so far, a Soft, but no mushrooming at all. 0. None.
I have a Medium from them also that I want to try, my son wants to try a new tip so I may install it on his shaft.

Of course that may depend on how the guy that put it on did the install, I think due to whatever they get treated with it needs to be pressed on the sides or cut with a very sharp blade, or something special. The guy that makes them posts quite a bit on here and has all the info.

KMRUNOUT just had a post about them a day or 2 ago also, should still be on the first few pages.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ki-tech

I read the description on the outsville website, and have always preferred a single layer to a layered tip, but still have a question. Do the ki-tech follow the traditional scale, or is it more like the kamui tips? I know I can feel a huge hardness difference between a kamui medium and any other medium I've ever shot with, just want to make sure I get the right thing.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the description on the outsville website, and have always preferred a single layer to a layered tip, but still have a question. Do the ki-tech follow the traditional scale, or is it more like the kamui tips? I know I can feel a huge hardness difference between a kamui medium and any other medium I've ever shot with, just want to make sure I get the right thing.

The Ki-Tech Soft is really soft. The Kamui Back Soft is more Medium in comparison.
The first day I tried mine, it felt like I was hitting with a marshmallow, a firm leather marshmallow but still very spongy. It firmed up since then, took a few weeks, but it's still quite a soft hit. I have a medium but have not tried it, but going by how the soft plays, I'd say the medium would be close to the Kamui Soft.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triangle tips are good (hold their shape well and have good feeling) and cost effective compared to the competition.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I don't understand layered tips either, but we can perhaps have some conversation about what's in between the layers of leather.

I'm merely assuming it's glue, since like I said I really don't understand the concept, need or effort in layered tips.

I'm also assuming if you took a blob of that glue between layers and let it drip out onto a piece of glass lets say, or Formica maybe or other hard surface and let it dry, the result, in my mind, after it dried would be something similar to a hard shiny spot of rock hard superglue or polyurethane or hard resin of some type.

Now I could be wrong already, but I feel safe in saying it wouldn't be leather. I don't know how many layers is normal but I know there are quite a few on some tips.

I took a few minutes and made this admittedly poor artistic attempt at a drawing of four tips. Brown represents leather, yellow .. glue.

The top two are layered, the bottom two represent non layered tips .

On the left, top and bottom represent exposed leather if tips were installed without crowning them. If it were done this way all that was exposed to the CB would be leather. But we know that's not how they are shaped.

On the right .. it represents crowning the tips and in the case of a layered tip, exposing this hard shiny glue to the CB. So ... a certain percentage of any contact between CB and layered tip happens on something OTHER than leather.

Not so on the bottom right. Even after crowning the tip ... all that is exposed to CB contact is pure leather.

I sure don't know if it matters ... sounds like it should.

I do know that most things on the mental side of pool result in ... if you think it matters then it does. LOL .. so I use triangle. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At some point one has to just try different tips.

Like many others here I tried the KiTech tips.

Almost all of my cues now have KiTech Soft tips.

I like the single-layer aspect of the KiTechs very much, and they hold their shape and hold their softness well.

They are inexpensive considering the quality of tip and its durability.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have 2 cues worth everest tips
hate the hit sound everything about them
I have 2 cues with lepro tips
love every bit of it, they will mushroom though

that's my experience fwiw

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried one so far, a Soft, but no mushrooming at all. 0. None.
I have a Medium from them also that I want to try, my son wants to try a new tip so I may install it on his shaft.

Of course that may depend on how the guy that put it on did the install, I think due to whatever they get treated with it needs to be pressed on the sides or cut with a very sharp blade, or something special. The guy that makes them posts quite a bit on here and has all the info.

KMRUNOUT just had a post about them a day or 2 ago also, should still be on the first few pages.

I was planning on ordering a small assortment of Ki-Tech's. For non-layered tips, they are fantastic. Can't imagine anything better. Definitely one of the best tips of any kind I have ever tried. If you like the hardness of a triangle when its relatively new, I'd try the medium. That's what I had and I loved it. My friend just tried a soft and liked it a lot.

KMRUNOUT

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Most layered tips won't get as hard as a non layered tip over time. Personally I play with a milk dud I buy from here. Pooldawg8 sells them, and really good tip.

Triangles are fairly hard to start with, but I much prefer the milk duds these days.