RIP "Ronnie V" Ron Vitello

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
My best friend and pool coach passed away this morning. "Ronnie V" Ron Vitello taught me so much about pool, poker and life in general that it's hard to put into words. He gave me my first 90/90 pool lesson over the phone and I couldn't believe how well it worked so I asked for an in person lesson in NYC.

After my first in person lesson, Ron told me that he would teach me for free if I would ever make the trip to NYC again. Of course, I drove back and forth to NYC for lessons countless times, dragging as many of my friends along as humanly possible, like Donny Perryman, Dave Stem, Joe Stem, Mike Lambros, Marc Segal and whoever else I could squeeze in my car.

Not only was Ron the most generous person I've ever met, he was without a doubt one of the very top pool instructors in the world and was a true genius. His 90/90 aiming system and his other pool knowledge will live on forever, long after he's gone.

RIP RONNIE-V... We love ya!
Ron_V.jpg

RonV Showing Off:
https://vimeo.com/11645027

Last edited:

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this. I was afraid it was close to this. I had not heard from him for a few months. I called him last week and did not get an answer. I knew he had been sick for some time. He was fighting his second battle with cancer.
Ron loved to share his knowledge with others.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ron V

So fortunate to have had Ron V in my life. Wish it could have been longer. Selfishly sad at his passing, but so happy his pain is no more. Rest well my friend.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Dave you were the one that got me all started w Hal and Ron and I've never looked back. Ron gave me a lesson in NYC and would come down to ac and play poker all the time. I remember him cramming into my civic and driving to the poolroom. He was truly generous giving me free lessons as well bc I was so dedicated to learning. I like to think he and Hal are somewhere challenging each other to a game of horse on the pool table

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
Yes I have to thank Dave as well. He introduced me to Ron and I was a lucky one to meet Ron and get a lesson from him at Steinway Billiards and all I had to do was pick him up ,buy him dinner and drive him home lol. That was 2 years ago and talked with him briefly at last years SBE but when I didn't see him this year, I got a little worried. Besides pool, he had a very interesting life and I'll cherish those stories. RIP Ron V

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R.I.P. Ron V.

I met Ron about 7 years or so ago, Thanks to Dave. As he also got me into meeting Hal.
Dave had told me about Hal and I had went and saw him, as I said in my story about Hal when he passed.
Well needless to say, I was conversing with Dave as I've done many times through out the last how ever many years its been and he told me about Ron V.
So Dave gives me Ron's phone number and I call him. I'm from Chicago and he's in NY.
So I'm talking with Ron and he's explaining 90 90. So I ask Ron about coming to see him.
He says when you coming, I tell him as soon as I can and does he know where I can get a room. He don't know me other then me telling him that Dave told me to call him. He says you don't have to get a room, I can sleep on his couch.
So I make plane reservations right away to go see him for 3 days.
Well I get to his apartment and he was really into on line poker and Alantic City, and he's telling me about it and were just having a good old time. We went to 2 different pool halls while I was there . Don't remember the names. He introduced me to many people as he seemed to know evertbody. One of the guys was KazNJ I had a video camera with me and video taped hours of us at the pool halls.
Still got them.
He took me over to Strawberry Fields where the memorial for John Lennon is and over to where he was killed.
The funny part of the trip was when we'd get done for the day and go back to his apartment, You got to picture I'm about 6'1 or so and Ron's couch wasn't real long, so I'd be sleeping on the couch about a foot shorter then me. so my feet are hanging over the arm or on the floor. Ha Ha
But it didn't matter as he taught me a lot especially on kicking syatems. He was very knowledgeable in not only pool but in other aspects of his life. I would call him every now and then to see how he was doing. And he'd ask me when I was coming back out. Unfortunitly I never made it back.
But for the short time I was with him, I can say he was a stand up guy and just a fun person to be with, and he was a take no Bs kind of guy and the type of person you'd want watching your back.
And he really wanted to pass on his information to others.
Really sad to see another good guy leave us.
So Ron V., Rest in Peace my friend and see you in that big ppol hall someday.
Sorry Dave for your loss as I know how close you were with Ron.
John

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yo !...Veal Chop

"Barfly" the movie with Mickey Rourke was on TV this week, maybe Tues or Wed
....and Ron was the negative cutter on that film....I think I'll take that as a good-bye
gift from Ron. (It's a movie I really like) regards,VR

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Ron about 7 years or so ago, Thanks to Dave. As he also got me into meeting Hal.
Dave had told me about Hal and I had went and saw him, as I said in my story about Hal when he passed.
Well needless to say, I was conversing with Dave as I've done many times through out the last how ever many years its been and he told me about Ron V.
So Dave gives me Ron's phone number and I call him. I'm from Chicago and he's in NY.
So I'm talking with Ron and he's explaining 90 90. So I ask Ron about coming to see him.
He says when you coming, I tell him as soon as I can and does he know where I can get a room. He don't know me other then me telling him that Dave told me to call him. He says you don't have to get a room, I can sleep on his couch.
So I make plane reservations right away to go see him for 3 days.
Well I get to his apartment and he was really into on line poker and Alantic City, and he's telling me about it and were just having a good old time. We went to 2 different pool halls while I was there . Don't remember the names. He introduced me to many people as he seemed to know evertbody. One of the guys was KazNJ I had a video camera with me and video taped hours of us at the pool halls.
Still got them.
He took me over to Strawberry Fields where the memorial for John Lennon is and over to where he was killed.
The funny part of the trip was when we'd get done for the day and go back to his apartment, You got to picture I'm about 6'1 or so and Ron's couch wasn't real long, so I'd be sleeping on the couch about a foot shorter then me. so my feet are hanging over the arm or on the floor. Ha Ha
But it didn't matter as he taught me a lot especially on kicking syatems. He was very knowledgeable in not only pool but in other aspects of his life. I would call him every now and then to see how he was doing. And he'd ask me when I was coming back out. Unfortunitly I never made it back.
But for the short time I was with him, I can say he was a stand up guy and just a fun person to be with, and he was a take no Bs kind of guy and the type of person you'd want watching your back.
And he really wanted to pass on his information to others.
Really sad to see another good guy leave us.
So Ron V., Rest in Peace my friend and see you in that big ppol hall someday.
Sorry Dave for your loss as I know how close you were with Ron.
John

You just described my first weekend with Ron V! Only difference was that he had taught me 90/90 over the phone prior to my visit. Great guy, man, and friend...

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
"Barfly" the movie with Mickey Rourke was on TV this week, maybe Tues or Wed
....and Ron was the negative cutter on that film....I think I'll take that as a good-bye
gift from Ron. (It's a movie I really like) regards,VR

That was a great movie, also with Faye Dunaway

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Sorry for your Loss Dave.
Didn't Know Ron personally but had a couple of conversations with him...Seem like a great guy.
What he has offered to everyone was nothing but positive.. another way to play the game.
Rip....RonV.

Thank You For everything.
Anthony.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
I logged on today and I couldn't believe that Ron V had passed away.
Dave has always spoken very highly of Ron V as well as anyone else who had the good fortune of learning from and knowing Ron.
The world of pool will never be the same.
Cheers

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this. I am sorry for your loss. Ron and Hal's teachings are a lost art and a secret only a few of the old time greats knew. May you keep on in the next life!:thumbup: