Is Shane the best American ever at both

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh boy, here we go

Shane can't help it WU is ducking him

He couldn't get a visa , I highly doubt WU is scared of anybody

Shane's obviously in the argument as the best American player , but I'm sorry till you win World titles you simply are a click behind , Earl , Segle and Varner , but he's certainly the best by a landslide among his American piers today and I see no one as of now that's going to be a top world player in the future , So if he wins a couple he just might be ,

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did, but it wasn't a WPA Sanctioned event.

But let's just be really honest, and drop all the semantics.

This most recent US Open had a field that was just as tough if not more so than any recent World 9 Ball field. Shane's win here is just as amazing, and the only reason you could consider saying Albin's win was impressive is because he beat Shane :)

sry, the US open had a great field for sure, but nowhere near the world 9 ball field! in doha the field is not half filled with US amateurs who getting whopped badly in the early rounds!

UGETTHE6

Always
Silver Member
Yes your logic is flawed and I'll explain.

At least 90% of snooker world champions are deserving. 2 weeks of long races will generally weed out any luck. Sure there's still some but not as much as in a short race
9 ball tournament.

Just look at this year when Albin Oushan beat Shane. Albin played very well and is a deserving champion, but to say he's great because he won and Shane's not is asinine. Furthermore if anyone truly believes that Albin is better than Shane because he has a trophy then I'm afraid they aren't mentally fit to discuss such matters.

The best response ever. In 2007 I met Shane for the first time, I said then, /!; I say now when he's done, he will have been the greatest the games ever witnessed. Period. Yes Champions have trophies, lest anyone think SVB won't have MULTIPLE world championships under his belt when he hangs up his cues.

My nickname on the chat rooms is poolidiots, because this game is plagued with so many of them. Albin is an okay player, he lacks the mental strength and frankly the creativity that Shane has. He had one great tournament and your willing to even let him in the same zip code as Shane? No. Period. Bieber is right you haven't got the mental capacity to discuss pocket billiards.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't think I've seen a tournament champion who would bet as high or as frequently as Shane. Currently only Dennis O. can rival Shane for being a great tourney player and gambler. Buddy Hall is close to Shane in that he could (and did) win many tournaments and never backed down from a money game. He was a top money player for nearly his entire life (up until the last few years). Efren and Parica are also noteworthy in that they both won major tournaments and liked to bet high when they could find a game. Parica backed down the world at Rotation games and Efren did likewise in One Pocket. They both had to give up weight to get a game. Nick Varner was pretty fearless as well, but picked his spots when warranted. He didn't go looking for the toughest game he could find. Hopkins was another tournament champ who could and did bet it up on occasion.

In previous generations there were two great players who stood out. Lassiter was a tournament champion who loved big money games and would play anyone at 9-Ball or Straight Pool, and they could bet what they liked. With one exception that is. A man named Harold Worst, who was also a tournament champion, challenged Lassiter and got turned down. Harold loved to gamble high, just like Shane, but rarely could find an opponent. Like Shane he had the respect of the tournament champions and the hustlers.

There have been many other tournament players who gambled for big money, but the above mentioned guys stand out for their success in both arenas.

Among the Americans, I don't think anyone is even mentionable with Luther Lassiter as a money player. Buddy Hall and Shane come next, and which of them is the better of the two for the cash is tough to say.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did, but it wasn't a WPA Sanctioned event.

But let's just be really honest, and drop all the semantics.

This most recent US Open had a field that was just as tough if not more so than any recent World 9 Ball field. Shane's win here is just as amazing, and the only reason you could consider saying Albin's win was impressive is because he beat Shane :)

The US Open field is always impressive (or at least generally) and this year was no exception. Its a great achievement to win one, let alone multiple titles.

However its not a World Championship.

Winning a world title is more impressive, Albin impressed because he's come on loads in the last 2 years and is now a World Champion, maybe in 10 years time we'll say he's a great, maybe we won't. I have no idea and to re-iterate, I'm in no way suggesting he is currently a great.

In the same way, SVB is a very good player, possibly America's best currently...but he can't be an all time great without a World title.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best response ever. In 2007 I met Shane for the first time, I said then, /!; I say now when he's done, he will have been the greatest the games ever witnessed. Period. Yes Champions have trophies, lest anyone think SVB won't have MULTIPLE world championships under his belt when he hangs up his cues.

My nickname on the chat rooms is poolidiots, because this game is plagued with so many of them. Albin is an okay player, he lacks the mental strength and frankly the creativity that Shane has. He had one great tournament and your willing to even let him in the same zip code as Shane? No. Period. Bieber is right you haven't got the mental capacity to discuss pocket billiards.

I presume you were refering to my post...except it would appear whilst rushing in to criticise my 'lack of mental capacity' you lost the ability to read...

I never said Albin was an all time great, I said he was a World Champion. Oddly for someone that lacks the mental strength of SVB he beat him in the most prestigious match of both their careers, the World Championship final...he has also won the China open and a Mosconi Cup....pretty good for someone with no mental strength.

To re-iterate I'm not saying Albin is a better player than Shane (and never have, read through my posts), however given he demonstrated mental strength to win the biggest title in pool against the very player you're defending makes your post look a little ridiculous.

Anyway this is a drift, its not about Albin, SVB is a very good player, probably America's best currently, but to be considered a great he needs to win a World title.

Last edited:

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Albin is an okay player, he lacks the mental strength and frankly the creativity that Shane has.

Looked like a mental midget when he won that world final right enough. Also looked so fragile at the Mosconi Cup last year. Stop making yourself look like an idiot.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
ok so SVB doesn't have a wpa 9 ball title. How is this the determining factor in whether or not he's the best American pool player? I know it's a coveted title but hasn't he been in the finals of the last two? 9 balls a flawed game but it's wpa title gives it more weight than the rest of his accomplishments? You're telling me if Daryl peach was American he's better than SVB bc he has a wpa 9 ball title?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok so SVB doesn't have a wpa 9 ball title. How is this the determining factor in whether or not he's the best American pool player? I know it's a coveted title but hasn't he been in the finals of the last two? 9 balls a flawed game but it's wpa title gives it more weight than the rest of his accomplishments? You're telling me if Daryl peach was American he's better than SVB bc he has a wpa 9 ball title?

Multiple points here:

1) Is SVB currently the best American pool player, almost certainly.

2) is he the greatest ever...hmm I'd say that's where the lack of world title stops that being the case

3) Just because other players have won a world title does that make them greats, I'd say no. You need to win the title to be a great, but winning it doesn't make you a great player.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Multiple points here:

1) Is SVB currently the best American pool player, almost certainly.

2) is he the greatest ever...hmm I'd say that's where the lack of world title stops that being the case

3) Just because other players have won a world title does that make them greats, I'd say no. You need to win the title to be a great, but winning it doesn't make you a great player.

Just WHY do you think winning a world title is necessary for what we are discussing here? Not everyone here considers that title necessary to be considered "the best", it seems to me. Best tournament player? Best money player? Best overall? Why is that important to you?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who's made more money playing pool: Shane or Wu?

That's the better player

Ideally, World Championships should go to round-robin for the final eight with the two best records playing a long set in the finals.

Then, you can say one guy is better than another for winning an event.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just WHY do you think winning a world title is necessary for what we are discussing here? Not everyone here considers that title necessary to be considered "the best", it seems to me. Best tournament player? Best money player? Best overall? Why is that important to you?

World titles at any sport are globally recognised as the pinnacle of that particular sport, that is why.

Outside of this forum no-one cares about who's the best gambler etc. titles attract recognition, gambling doesn't.

That's not a criticism of gamblers, everyone needs to earn a living of course, but winning a one on one game is simply not as prestigious as a world title.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
World titles at any sport are globally recognised as the pinnacle of that particular sport, that is why.

Outside of this forum no-one cares about who's the best gambler etc. titles attract recognition, gambling doesn't.

That's not a criticism of gamblers, everyone needs to earn a living of course, but winning a one on one game is simply not as prestigious as a world title.

What's comical about the above statement is the notion that pool has official "World" titles... There is barely any sanctioning body to begin with for pool. The world titles are nearly worthless. How can you consider another 9-ball tournament harder to win over the U.S. Open? The competition certainly isn't any more difficult. And Shane has one it 5 times now. The entire idea, that because he doesn't win tournaments overseas somehow makes him a lesser player is just silly.

If Shane played in decades past, he'd still be the monster player his is today. I can confidently say that for two reasons. #1 His work ethic wouldn't change. #2 the players of today are just as good, and there's more international players today. In the 80's they had to worry about maybe 2-4 pinoys, now look at all the competition from Asia, and Shane is still at the top.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
How many lined up to play Shane in the last 2 weeks? Almost all the top players in the world are here, well?
Jason

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If player A dominates head-to-head match-ups against player B, but never wins Number 1 Event XYZ as player B does, who's the better of the two players?

Are you suggesting that technically player B could lose every head-to-head match-up with A and still be the better player because he won a specific event?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And who's won more major titles than Shane in the last 10 years..

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If player A dominates head-to-head match-ups against player B, but never wins Number 1 Event XYZ as player B does, who's the better of the two players?

Are you suggesting that technically player B could lose every head-to-head match-up with A and still be the better player because he won a specific event?

Welcome to the insanity

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Among the Americans, I don't think anyone is even mentionable with Luther Lassiter as a money player. Buddy Hall and Shane come next, and which of them is the better of the two for the cash is tough to say.

If you don't think Worst or Willis are even mentionable with Lassiter, your knowledge is far lower than I could imagine. Lassiter wouldn't play Worst, and Lassiter also felt Willis, his road partner for years, was better than he (Lassister) was.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

The US Open is just as tough to win . And just as prestigious .
$50K to the winner this year.
How many ex-world champions did Shane beat to win the USO last week?
A bunch of them.