cte

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://xtremepoolchallenge.com/watch-live/#player

Watching Johnny Archer on the stream. He shows all the characteristics of a CTE player.
Not saying he is but if I made a guess than yes he most assuredly is.

I've been watching the same stream and haven't seen Johnny or Rodney doing anything that looks like a "pivot".

I think it is naive to think a player is using any particular system, unless they tell you or endorse it. I think these players have enough experience to "blend" everything they know into a working system. Hybrid, if you will...bit of this and bit of that.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching the same stream and haven't seen Johnny or Rodney doing anything that looks like a "pivot".

I think it is naive to think a player is using any particular system, unless they tell you or endorse it. I think these players have enough experience to "blend" everything they know into a working system. Hybrid, if you will...bit of this and bit of that.

You wouldn't see a pivot unless it was done manually with the bridge hand on the table.
No doubt they use a little bit of this and that but it usually all starts with the aiming part of things.
Johnny sweeps in from left to right on all shots.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All players sweep into the shot one way or the other. How a player eyes a shot and keeps their vision locked on the shot usually dictates how they sweep into the shot. For a player that is using the right eye to sight and is right handed will have a noticable sweep of the cue and body from left to right and the reverse is true for a left eyed player that is right handed... They will generally sweep the body from right to left slightly. Does it mean they're using some form of aiming system? Lol... No. It means they're letting the eyes lead and the body follow.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All players sweep into the shot one way or the other. How a player eyes a shot and keeps their vision locked on the shot usually dictates how they sweep into the shot. For a player that is using the right eye to sight and is right handed will have a noticable sweep of the cue and body from left to right and the reverse is true for a left eyed player that is right handed... They will generally sweep the body from right to left slightly. Does it mean they're using some form of aiming system? Lol... No. It means they're letting the eyes lead and the body follow.

Never said he was using one and you are right, the eyes lead and the body follows, one of Stan's favorite lines.
I brought it up because people tend to think there is a lot of unnecessary movement with cte but it really isn't.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny doesn't use CTE, I don't even think he's more than vaguely aware of it, if at all. He also doesn't use or understand any techniques for english compensation (back hand, front hand, etc.), although once again he certainly knows how to compensate based on experience for his equipment.

It's interesting talking to some of these guys about aiming, systems, etc., very foreign to most. Johnny for instance learned when he was a teenager and got really good with just raw talent, practice, etc. I think most professional and high level players are the same way from my conversations with them.

That's not to say the systems aren't beneficial, and maybe the newer Youtube-based generation coming up will be more educated in the more technical aspects of the game and we will see it hit a new level!
Scott

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol

That's "all the characteristics of a CTE player"? You guys are priceless.

I think every pro shows "all the characteristics" of my favorite way to aim too.

pj
chgo

I never see pro's fidgeting,lol.

PS You should start a thread on "fidgeting aiming".

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
He said he invented one.

Grady mentioned it in an accu-stat video. He also said something to the effect that Archers stance was further back on the cue than it had been before, which he felt was beneficial. That video was a lot older, obviously.

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Archer explains in detail how he aims in this TAR podcast:

https://youtu.be/iUT7-RdKdeA?t=42m40s

From Johnny's official website (http://www.johnnyarcher.net/ask.html):

"When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle"

"I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny"

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"When players write to you, asking how to aim, your pat answer is to say that you get three feet back from the shot, then you shoot parallel lines. That is all hogwash. That is not how you aim. Why don't you level with these recreational players? You use the aiming system whereby you aim the center of the cue ball at the edge of the object ball for any and all shots. You know exactly what I am talking about. We both know about placing the cue tip either left or right of cue ball center, and you know why we do that. Get honest for a change. These recreational players are no threat. Tell them the truth. - Hal Houle"

"I really don't know why you keep writing about my aiming system. Everybody that is listening, IT IS MY AIMING SYSTEM. I hope this would relieve some pressure that you have. Thanks, Johnny"

That's pretty telling. Guess i was right about the appearance of his shooting.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That's pretty telling. Guess i was right about the appearance of his shooting.
Hal Houle telling Johnny Archer that Johnny lies about how he aims is "telling"? Maybe it "tells" that Hal was a little dotty...?

pj <- not the only evidence of that
chgo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your funny...whats next, duckies using cte with his arrow ghost ball method and don't know it. :p

Read it and weep.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you read Johnny's answer it's pretty clear Hal was right.

How would that be ?
JA says on the video he's using thirds and ghost ball. And he said he doesn't look at his shaft.
Did Hal teach fractional and ghost ball alignment ?