Splitting The Difference Aiming System

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
The more you watch this guy, the more you'll realize that he is using a couple of basic quarter aim points on the OB, then applying left or right english to thin or thicken the angle up as needed. It's a good way to develop a feel for spinning balls in.

He's using 3 aim points. 1/4 ball just happens to be one of the three. It's center ball, 1/4 ball, and edge. After that it's edge to edge.

As Spider suggests, you have to experiment with it to figure out the limitations for using a center to center alignment, then do the same for using a center to edge alignment.

And a center to 1/4 ball alignment.

Then experiment with varying degrees of english, or keep the english consistent and experiment with varying bridge distances.

He never discusses bridge distance and I've never messed with it for over 10 years. Keeping English consistent is the way to go except on center to center alignments with fairly small cut angles to prevent an overcut. The pivot is to a specific spot which produces more than sufficient spin for pretty much all shots. If you go beyond for more spin, it will affect accuracy.

Then once you get it working from close range, you'll need to experiment with varying distances between the balls and between the ob and the pocket.

It's not a tedious process. It's very easy and quite apparent.

It seems like a good tool to use on certain shots where you need a good tool, but too many variables at play to use it consistently on every shot from all over the table, unless you devote a few thousand hours of practice.

Not true. Not true at all. It's absolutely deadly, easy to see and align with only 3 aim points, and spin the ball at the same time with accuracy. It's without a doubt the FASTEST method of anything I know because of it's simplicity for visualization to the aim points.

Again, I should know after 10 years of work and using it.

Still, just experimenting around with it for a little while can help you develop a great understanding of how english affects cut angles.

Experimenting with it to learn English for use on another system doesn't make sense to me. Just use the damn 3 Line aiming system! If you want to use another aiming system, learn how to apply English with IT.

Here's the same thing he's doing, minus the last-second swipe of english. I'm use BHE..... Fine-tuning aim with english

There are different ways to apply BHE. Unfortunately for many pool players, they refuse to use it at all and stick to parallel English which I think causes more misses because of guesswork or not enough guesswork for squirt/deflection. I'm seeing more guesswork from you in your video than what the 3 Line system calls for with pivot. The end result is the same but you're complicating it. I think what you need to look at more closely is, where is your tip aiming on the OB after the pivot. I'll bet it's where he says it is in the original video.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are different ways to apply BHE. Unfortunately for many pool players, they refuse to use it at all and stick to parallel English which I think causes more misses because of guesswork or not enough guesswork for squirt/deflection. I'm seeing more guesswork from you in your video than what the 3 Line system calls for with pivot. The end result is the same but you're complicating it. I think what you need to look at more closely is, where is your tip aiming on the OB after the pivot. I'll bet it's where he says it is in the original video.

The thing is, for the 5 ball that I shoot in the video, it is guesswork. I don't practice it for months or years to get proficient at it, which is why I say it's a feel shot.

At that exact distance my tip will be pointing to a certain place on the OB, might even be exactly where you say it will be. But common sense dictates that it'll be pointing to a different place on the OB if I change the distance between the CB and OB, or my bridge distance. Sometimes the tip will be pointing way outside the edge of the OB if the distance is several feet.

I agree with your assessment of BHE. A player must really pay attention to where their tip is pointed toward the OB if they expect to be fluent applying english without using the bhe pivot method.

I would think that 10 years of "work and using it" is probably pretty close to a few thousand hours. :wink:

And when players are trying to figure out how their particular shaft deflection affects aiming with english, the same experimental process of paying attention to aim and tip placement is identical to what a player needs to do to learn this system. That's not a bad thing, as it's a win win -- something will inevitably be learned whether or not the player decides to stick with the system or move on to something else.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
The thing is, for the 5 ball that I shoot in the video, it is guesswork. I don't practice it for months or years to get proficient at it, which is why I say it's a feel shot.

It might be a feel shot for you but not necessarily for someone who has the system down pat. It's just another shot that you quickly see in the arsenal with the same pivot.

At that exact distance my tip will be pointing to a certain place on the OB, might even be exactly where you say it will be. But common sense dictates that it'll be pointing to a different place on the OB if I change the distance between the CB and OB,

True. It could change for both the aim point and pivot. So what?

or my bridge distance.

Why do you keep bringing up bridge distance? How often do you change it? Why? And by how much?

Sometimes the tip will be pointing way outside the edge of the OB if the distance is several feet.

Not if it's a center to center alignment or center to 1/4 alignment with outside pivot. It would be far less if it started with an INSIDE alignment pivoting back to CCB with original Shishkebob.

I agree with your assessment of BHE. A player must really pay attention to where their tip is pointed toward the OB if they expect to be fluent applying english without using the bhe pivot method.

I would think that 10 years of "work and using it" is probably pretty close to a few thousand hours. :wink:

Yeah but those few thousand hours only solidified the exactness of the first 10 hours. It was all repetition after that.

And when players are trying to figure out how their particular shaft deflection affects aiming with english, the same experimental process of paying attention to aim and tip placement is identical to what a player needs to do to learn this system.

The shaft deflection isn't anywhere near as drastic with angled BHE whether preset or swiped as it is with parallel English between a LD shaft and regular one. Whatever deflection there might be is offset more by CB swerve and then throw.

That's not a bad thing, as it's a win win -- something will inevitably be learned whether or not the player decides to stick with the system or move on to something else.

That could in fact happen.

But what I see happening right now is you doing the same crap with this system as you've done and do with CTE which is try tearing it apart little piece by little piece and you're completely off target from total lack of experience from table time practicing as well as using it in the heat of battle.

NEGATIVE NELLIE. Leave it alone without all of your conjecture and hypothesizing to make it look worthless to sway it over to your fractional system. It's not worthless.
Fact is it's damn accurate and a lot more simple.

People on this forum can make up their own minds but they should at least put in the table time to get the grasp of new visuals along with a aimed to a certain spot.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That could in fact happen.

But what I see happening right now is you doing the same crap with this system as you've done and do with CTE which is try tearing it apart little piece by little piece and you're completely off target from total lack of experience from table time practicing as well as using it in the heat of battle.

NEGATIVE NELLIE. Leave it alone without all of your conjecture and hypothesizing to make it look worthless to sway it over to your fractional system. It's not worthless.
Fact is it's damn accurate and a lot more simple.

People on this forum can make up their own minds but they should at least put in the table time to get the grasp of new visuals along with a aimed to a certain spot.

No negativity, just an honest opinion.

I'm not trying to tear it apart. In fact, I just a dozen balls using it. Naturally, I have a very good idea which of the 3 ob references to use for each shot. It works great on a half table game, if I happen to need english on every shot. Nevertheless, I'm not bashing it. I just noticed that it's a really good method for developing a know-how when it comes to applying BHE and how it affects aiming. As far as using it specifically for aiming, it would do better as a teaching aide for applying english than an aide in learning how to aim. I'm talking about the "split the difference", not Shishkabob.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
No negativity, just an honest opinion.

Honest opinion by you based on limited experience up to this point. But for the most part, and I do mean MOST, an erroneous opinion based on my experience and knowledge.

I'm not trying to tear it apart. In fact, I just a dozen balls using it. Naturally, I have a very good idea which of the 3 ob references to use for each shot.

Do you really want to learn it? Multiply a dozen times 1,000 or so.
That's only 70 racks. 10 racks a day for a week. Just scatter all 15 balls on the table and start shooting until they're gone. Do it 70 times.

It works great on a half table game,

It does work great on a half table game. But it also works great on a FULL table game when you learn how distance affects your choice of the 3 aim lines. Then it works great as well.

if I happen to need english on every shot.

Then original Shiskebob can be used with a slight inside offset at setup pivoting back to CENTER BALL. You do realize you can cue low and hit the CB on the easy side so it doesn't go racing all around the table from the small amount of spin.

Nevertheless, I'm not bashing it.

"Bashing" might be a little strong but I'd say erroneous nitpicking would be more applicable.

I just noticed that it's a really good method for developing a know-how when it comes to applying BHE and how it affects aiming. As far as using it specifically for aiming, it would do better as a teaching aide for applying english than an aide in learning how to aim. I'm talking about the "split the difference", not Shishkabob.

I don't agree because I've experimented and then used a pivot to the outside just like this when using Shiskebob to work the CB around the table differently and the aiming part is still dead accurate and can be as good an aiming system as anything out there, and most of the time better. With the exception of ONE. :D

You need more table time which I know you aren't going to do so I guess you'll keep sticking to your guns as they are right now. You're correct on some things and way off base on others.

We need some other guys on here chiming in but they also may not be willing to put the table time into learning it.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
NO PESTS PLEASE....THIS IS FOR SPIDER, NOT YOU.
Mister Spider...let's talk about this shiskabon thing a little.
I threw 15 balls out on the table, ten times in a row. (my table is a torture chamber...if you don't split the pocket the ball hangs there. In fact when I have it recovered with Simonis, I'm going to have the man shim them even tighter to 4 inches from my current 4 1/4..but that is another story)
Yes. I made sure there were no clusters or balls frozen together, but I also made sure there were no 'cripples' hanging in holes. I did not start at any time with cue ball in hand...I just threw it out there too.
I pocketed 150 balls and missed once when I misjudged a 'center to edge' (30degree) hit and played it as a 15.
On all shots,I took my usual CTE perception for the angle in upright stance with the two lines as always. Then I got down into shooting position aiming dead straight at the object ball like video man does with center cue ball and then just slightly rotated my entire body into the shot line. Without tinkering with the back hand or the front hand. The 0, the 15 and the 30 were a lead pipe cinch.
The edge to edge gave me a little visual trouble in being SURE, but I whacked away and those went in also.
The only 'spin' used was high rolling ball and low rolling ball with that old 'drag stroke', by raising and lowering the bridge hand.....no side at all. Not even a trace. And draw and stun.
I've yet to experiment with adding right and left spin. Especially when I seldom need it or use it except when object ball is frozen on rail.
I'm not computing why what I am doing is not the exact same thing as CTE? In fact, it's easier to me...as far as falling into the shot line goes.
Please "rip me to shreds" and explain why this works so simple?
I do not consider myself a world beater...some of those old bums at the Moose Clubs and VFW still outrun me sometimes, even though I have to give them the nuts just about to even get them to bet that beer is wet.:wink:
Thanks.
Lowenstein
:thumbup:

BECAUSE IT IS SIMPLE!! ALL of Hal Houle's systems had the exact same foundation. THE 3 LINES. CENTER, 1/2 WAY BETWEEN CENTER AND EDGE, AND EDGE.

Nothing any more complicated than those 3 lines. Once you become trained to see nothing but those 3 lines and completely eliminate CONTACT POINTS strung across the OB and CB to link together, GB that's off in space, FRACTIONS strung across the CB, or any other type of aiming system that takes imagination to the limits, pool shooting becomes a lot easier.

The toughest part of learning his systems is FORGETTING everything you've trained yours brain and eyes to do when down on the balls. Not that you can't use all of the above other aiming systems if you cared to, it's just that they won't integrate with any of the 3 lines.

Hal had over 20 3 Line Aiming Systems. He taught many of them to me, or tried to, but I either told him immediately I wasn't getting it easily and the system wasn't something I wanted to pursue or I forgot them over time.

The two systems that gave me immediate results which I've been doing for 11 years now are CTE and Shiskebob. They can be integrated easily with the 3 lines because that doesn't change.

What you are probably doing since you've trained yourself to see CENTER, 1/4 BALL, and EDGE is what Stan illustrated in his latest Shiskebob video that doesn't use the cue with a manual pivot like original Shiskebob or "Split the Difference" which has a manual STICK pivot to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uar8s9kbqdI

Stan said he'll be doing a stick pivot video for Shiskebob at a later date. But I think you're doing the visual alignments without pivot, that's all.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Training Session #3 (part 2 of 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-NRjATtjI

Gambling for big money with this guy would be a major mistake. Although you could make the money back by publishing and selling a book titled:
"How I Lost Everything I Owned In One Night And My Wife Left Me."

Little Mike makes some very good points concerning PSR in this part.

Yes. He proves the aiming process is a part of the PSR. NOT that the PSR negates any need for aiming.

I thought he was using BHE to apply spin. Not so. Watch his wrist, he is using Tuck and Roll to apply spin.

John :)

Tuck and Roll? Everybody knows that's a bunch of crap leading to inaccuracy. You apply English by putting your cue straight to the left or right on the CB to the OB.
It's called parallel!!

Don't be spreading this kind of stuff around to make somebody's game worse.

Where in the hell did you learn this garbage? :eek::rolleyes::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tuck and Roll? Everybody knows that's a bunch of crap leading to inaccuracy. You apply English by putting your cue straight to the left or right on the CB to the OB.
It's called parallel!!

Where in the hell did you learn this garbage? :eek::rolleyes::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

:) :)

John

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's called parallel!!

Really?? I stood DIRECTLY behind some of Filipinos at DCC in '07 just to check this. It was obvious that on certain spin shots they were pivoting/tucking/rolling/whatevering to apply english. After seeing this i made it a point to watch for this. On a lot of softer shots they'd use parallel and on firmer/harder shots it was BHE/T&R. Not everybody parallel shifts to spin their ball, not even close.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Thank you, kind sir.
Now I get the picture of why it's working so easily. (Shooters have no clue as to what a confidence builder this stuff is at the table when in combat for the cash)
I recall when I first starting fooling around with the CTE (which hasn't been that long) that getting it through my head to forget those contact points and fractions was the hardest part of the show. But like 'they' say.....21 days of concentrated effort and something can become a habit.
I see how Mister Houle's 3 line ideas carry over into his various methods of aiming. But when it's all said and done....we're still left with only 0-15-30-45 (and that crazy "paintbrush" 60) to pocket all shots. I like that and I believe it's the REAL POWER of the concept. How one arrives at those angles is another matter.....the simpler the better, in my opinion.
Of course the "pests and the haters" will argue forever about this, but they're dwindling in numbers and are being slowly exposed as nothing but no-shooting loudmouths. Poolrooms have been filled with those types for decades. Such is life around a poolroom.
Thanks again for your efforts and contributions.
P.L.
:thumbup:

I don't know how you practice or what you do on your tight table at home. I don't do drills any more.

I just want to sharpen by eyes and brain to see the shots immediately with CTE or Shiskebob and decide where I want the CB to go and how to get there.

I use all 15 balls either spreading them out like you did for those 10 racks plus or breaking and then attacking the balls as they lay.

For a warm up I'll shoot in no particular order numerically. I'll just pick out patterns of 3-5 balls at a time to run the rack out.

After I'm warmed up I'll do the same as above either breaking or spreading the 15 balls out and work on running the table by rotation 1-15.

If I miss a ball and get p*ssed at my own stupidity, I'll sometimes reset the same shot and do it again just to see where it went haywire.

When you get some good 15 ball rotation runouts, a rack of 9 ball looks like a breeze.

But just running a full rack of 15 randomly can still be a challenge if you aren't preplanning your routes and patterns.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Really?? I stood DIRECTLY behind some of Filipinos at DCC in '07 just to check this. It was obvious that on certain spin shots they were pivoting/tucking/rolling/whatevering to apply english. After seeing this i made it a point to watch for this. On a lot of softer shots they'd use parallel and on firmer/harder shots it was BHE/T&R. Not everybody parallel shifts to spin their ball, not even close.

LMAO! I think John knows I was pulling his leg big time since I was the one that got him hooked on tuck and roll. But I'm glad you posted what you did and said what you said to solidify what the REAL PROS are doing. It's not what the pool forum scientists do or recommend. You know the ones. The total experts who write a big game and newbies look up to.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

I pocketed 150 balls and missed once when I misjudged a 'center to edge' (30degree) hit and played it as a 15. On all shots, I took my usual CTE perception for the angle in upright stance with the two lines as always. Then I got down into shooting position aiming dead straight at the object ball like video man does with center cue ball and then just slightly rotated my entire body into the shot line. Without tinkering with the back hand or the front hand. The 0, the 15 and the 30 were a lead pipe cinch.

The edge to edge gave me a little visual trouble in being SURE, but I whacked away and those went in also.
The only 'spin' used was high rolling ball and low rolling ball with that old 'drag stroke', by raising and lowering the bridge hand.....no side at all. Not even a trace. And draw and stun.

This is interesting, yet very confusing for any reader trying to learn the "split the difference" or the "Shishkabob" aiming method.

Why do you use the two CTE visuals, which direct you to a fixed center CB, then disregard that fixed CCB and align to the CCB that connects to the center of the OB? Why not just immediately align to that line in the first place?

And when you "slighty rotated" your "entire body into the shot line", you still ended up with a CCB hit because you played every shot with no side spin whatsoever. So what was the target or aiming focus of your rotation? I mean, how did you know when you were on the shot line and therefore could stop rotating?

Little Mike starts with CCB to center OB, or 1/4, or 1/2 OB aim points. Then he pivots using BHE across the face of the CB to create the angle, no longer focusing on the OB. This is not Shishkabob as my friend does it, not even close, as he learned it from Tom Simpson anyway.

What Little Mike is doing is spinning balls in and using the basic quarters on the OB as initial angle references. He tweaks the angle by changing his aim through the CB end of the shot instead of the OB end, using english as an aide to help manipulate the shot angle. This method uses the entire pocket, but naturally certain shots will automatically already be lined dead center hole from that initial CCB to OB reference line, so no spinning would be required if you wanted the OB to track toward center hole. But you could still spin it and send it left or right of center if you absolutely must pivot everytime.

Mr. Lowenstein, you were doing your own thing when you shot those 10 racks. It's wasn't CTE, not splitting the difference with spin, not Shishkabob. I think a lot of readers would be interested in knowing exactly how you knew you were aiming directly along the shot line every time. Any player would love to be able to play that well using nothing but the vertical axis on the CB. It's very impressive.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I thought he was using BHE to apply spin. Not so. Watch his wrist, he is using Tuck and Roll to apply spin.

John :)

I have a "put on your thinking cap question for you". Lets assume the cut angle is a CCB to COB shot. With Mike's method for a cut you would pivot to 1/4 ball and then take the stroke.

Do you think it's possible to line up CCB to COB and start the stroke straight back from there but then either tuck or roll to end up having the cue align to 1/4 ball at the strike on the CB?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This is not Shishkabob as my friend does it, not even close, as he learned it from Tom Simpson anyway.

Hal Houle invented Shiskabob, not Tom Simpson. But if Simpson is using the "term" he must have learned it from Hal.

I'm just wondering how he bastardized it and what he teaches with the system.

Do you know enough about what your friend does to be able to explain it accurately?

I'm curious and would like to know.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hal Houle invented Shiskabob, not Tom Simpson. But if Simpson is using the "term" he must have learned it from Hal.

I'm just wondering how he bastardized it and what he teaches with the system.

Do you know enough about what your friend does to be able to explain it accurately?

I'm curious and would like to know.

I'm not all that sure of how he does it. He may have taken Tom's lesson and refined it with his own ideas. That's a common occurrence with these things. All I know that when I asked him how he aimed he said Tom Simpson taught him Shishkabob. I asked all the local players, the best of them, this aiming question while compiling my book. This guy is a great player, not a gambler due to religious beliefs, but a solid player.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm not all that sure of how he does it. He may have taken Tom's lesson and refined it with his own ideas. That's a common occurrence with these things. All I know that when I asked him how he aimed he said Tom Simpson taught him Shishkabob. I asked all the local players, the best of them, this aiming question while compiling my book. This guy is a great player, not a gambler due to religious beliefs, but a solid player.

If he's one of your best friends, ask him! I mean WTF. Have him give you a complete verbal lesson over the phone. It's really not complicated and should take no more than 5 minutes on the phone. Especially now since you have a better understanding of the groundwork of how it's done based on everything posted here.

I'd really like to know.