SJM Sold on Tyler Styer

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In discussions concerning Tyler Styer's 2019 Moscon Cup candidacy, I've sometimes noted that I'd take a wait and see approach. I didn't feel that having been on a winning Mosconi team should have been enough to earn him a spot this year.

Now, however, I feel the case for Styer is very strong. At the two highest profile events this year in America, Tyler has played beautifully, and I feel that how one plays at the biggest events is the best indicator of how they will deal with the pressure of the Mosconi Cup.

US Open 9-ball Championship
Tyler's tied for 17th place finish in the scary strong 256 player field event was impressive, and included wins over Justin Bergman and the suddenly well known Masato Yoshioka. Among the American entrants, only SVB finished higher.

WPA World 10-ball Championship
Tyler finished tied for 5th and beat Gorst, Thorpe, Morra and Faraon along the way. He was the only American player to reach the quarterfinals.

Styer, in my view, should most definitely be a member of Team USA at the next Mosconi Cup. He continues to step up his game. Well played, Tyler.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tyler drops in our way sometimes.
I like his curiosity....always looking to improve.
I questioned his initial selection......not no more

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
He played horrible at expo! Had my eye on him since he beat neils ....

He is a great selection.

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look forward to seeing him play more. First saw him at the Intl. 9 Ball Open last fall and noticed how solid his mechanics were. I think he has the best fundamentals of any American player now.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer is an underrated player. Nice cue action and monster break.
In World 10 ball, he beat Fedor Gorst, Raymond Faraon, John Morra, Max Lechner, Billy Thorpe who all have higher Fargo. His Fargo should be higher than his present 746 and should go up after this event to probably top 100 Fargo

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
He's also a super nice kid with his head screwed on straight. I would always want someone like that to represent the U.S.A.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
No doubt. He has stepped up his game in a big way. He seems to be a player that has taken the concept of training and treating it like a sport to heart much to his benefit.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
He's demonstrating what hard work and good training regimens can do in a year. I remember the first time I heard of him was the US Open 14.1 in 2016 and at the time he was rated around 700 in Fargo. Two years later prior to his coaching I think he was around 725. A good player but not someone that you would expect to threaten to win a World Championship.

Now, he's *only* at 740ish after the last year of training but I suspect this largely due to Fargo not quite keeping up with very fast improvement since there are a lot of games from the last two years which are still weighted fairly highly.

It was a great tournament for him. Colour me impressed.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Styer is an underrated player. Nice cue action and monster break. ...

Speaking of his break. In his losing match last night with Masato Yoshioka, Tyler broke 8 times, all successful. He made 4 balls thrice, 3 balls twice, 2 balls twice, and 1 ball once, for an average of 2.9 balls per break -- by far the highest of anyone on stream so far.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What big events has he won or been in the finals?

I assume Mosconi will be the same 5 guys as last time out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Speaking of his break. In his losing match last night with Masato Yoshioka, Tyler broke 8 times, all successful. He made 4 balls thrice, 3 balls twice, 2 balls twice, and 1 ball once, for an average of 2.9 balls per break -- by far the highest of anyone on stream so far.

That is impressive...I’ve watched him working on his break...seems to have paid off.
:bow-down:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
What big events has he won or been in the finals?

I assume Mosconi will be the same 5 guys as last time out.
. Moot, the question is how does he stack up against our other players for the upcoming event and events going forward, all things being equal he's eligible to be our dominant player a few years down the road in events that reward breaking ability.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Jeremy said Tyler has the best break in pool! Pretty strong statement to make coming from somebody like JJ. My prediction is that as the prize money continues to go up and more tournaments are added to the pool calendar we will see more new faces, most of them being young guys who are already good athletes who take up pool. The best may be yet to come.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In discussions concerning Tyler Styer's 2019 Moscon Cup candidacy, I've sometimes noted that I'd take a wait and see approach. I didn't feel that having been on a winning Mosconi team should have been enough to earn him a spot this year.

Now, however, I feel the case for Styer is very strong. At the two highest profile events this year in America, Tyler has played beautifully, and I feel that how one plays at the biggest events is the best indicator of how they will deal with the pressure of the Mosconi Cup.

US Open 9-ball Championship
Tyler's tied for 17th place finish in the scary strong 256 player field event was impressive, and included wins over Justin Bergman and the suddenly well known Masato Yoshioka. Among the American entrants, only SVB finished higher.

WPA World 10-ball Championship
Tyler finished tied for 5th and beat Gorst, Thorpe, Morra and Faraon along the way. He was the only American player to reach the quarterfinals.

Styer, in my view, should most definitely be a member of Team USA at the next Mosconi Cup. He continues to step up his game. Well played, Tyler.
You do remember when I said he has the talent and the work ethic to be a world class player and you agreed with me , he checks all the boxes even down to his Tom Brady like eating habits ,
He is not there yet but hes certainly heading in the right direction

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You do remember when I said he has the talent and the work ethic to be a world class player and you agreed with me , he checks all the boxes even down to his Tom Brady like eating habits ,
He is not there yet but hes certainly heading in the right direction

I do remember that, but I'll freely admit that he's developed faster than I thought he would. Have met him on a few occasions. Quality guy for sure.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do remember that, but I'll freely admit that he's developed faster than I thought he would. Have met him on a few occasions. Quality guy for sure.

I think a lot of his faster development is because of Johan , a lot of people dismissed the importance of a coach with the prima donna players that may have been the case but for the younger players willing to listen and learn the value IMHO can't be overlooked or overstated,
I think it's comical that American players have this notion if a coach can't play better than them they can't teach them anything, this kind of thinking is why we have fell far behind the Asians and Euros

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think a lot of his faster development is because of Johan , a lot of people dismissed the importance of a coach with the prima donna players that may have been the case but for the younger players willing to listen and learn the value IMHO can't be overlooked or overstated,
I think it's comical that American players have this notion if a coach can't play better than them they can't teach them anything, this kind of thinking is why we have fell far behind the Asians and Euros

That's a very well reasoned post, my friend.