PEDS in pool

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This discussion can't be "good" for pool. Watch out here comes the morality police.....

For the OP - yes it's been discussed dozens of times.

Most used PED is pills. Uppers, downers, mood enhancers, etc... it's called getting the mix right when a player figures out the perfect cocktail that works for them to put them into what they think is the right zone to play their best pool.

And truthfully sometimes players do get into a perfect pool zone when the mix is right. This is all short term stuff though. No one is doing steroids to help them in pool although I THINK that the WPA does follow the IOC guidelines on banned substances so IF a player was doing roids to bulk up for their bodybuilding habit and they happened to win a WPA event and get tested they might fail and thus be stripped of the title and sanctioned.

These days it's mostly pain pills that players are after if they are going to take something to "help" them. Some players are truly knowledgeable about all form of pain pills.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best pool I ever saw live was a roadie zonked out of his mind on pcp and about 30 beers.

Disgusting!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seasonal allergies, some seasons not much, others bad, and sometimes it comes and go.

Well, it got real bad, so I decided to go with the Claritin D for decongestion. Man, I took that before I played pool, and my mind was wide open, I saw shots that I never saw before, I only missed one shot all night and that was because I jumped up.

Of course, when I got home, I could NOT sleep a wink.....I was wired and tossed and turned for a few hours before I went downstairs to watch TV till 5am.

I have not used the "juice" since, but it's always in the back of my mind ;)

You changed it...and without comment. :crying:

I thought it was a good one!!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Watching Jon Dovinsky drink about 16 drinks and then playing run out pool was proof to me that one person's mixture can be very unique. Most pool players I know either drink beer, smoke cigarettes or joints or play on opiates like vicodin.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
They're out there, it seems mostly pain pills and Adderall nowadays so it's harder to tell. There were many times during late 80's & 90's it was coke more often than not. There were guys I wanted to nail the bathroom door shut on as the moment we'd match up they'd run to the bathroom.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I tried steroids for a while but the 'roid rage got out of control... after every loss, I tore the table in half!

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think uppers would make you play for long periods of time, possibly days depending on the substance. ive heard of some professionals who are/were on these hard drugs. it was alluded to by paul newman in the movie the color of money, with the cocaine boom in the 80's. fast eddy thought that alcohol and mary jane were more "human". and i agree with that, those two substances have been around mankind for millenias now.

alcohol temporarily gives me a boost whenever i have my initial buzz, but after about 20 minutes it doesnt do me any good. i think whenever you have your buzz after 2 beers, you become loose quicker. although you get tired afterwards and/or careless.

(not really a smoker) but if i ever do play on mary jane, it either does 2 things to me: it either makes me over think, or gets me totally in the zone and blank out everything else around me. although kinda similar to alcohol, after your initial buzz, you slow down and begin to get tired.

caffeine, and i love coffee. it may wake me up if ive had a long and tiring day. but if ive had too much caffeine and not enough water to mellow out my buzz then i notice my grip hand becomes shaky or unsteady. also i loose focus with too much caffeine and my attention span crumbles.

people are different though. but i personally like to reward myself with some beers after a good day of practice. but if im playing for real, i try to stay away from any substances except maybe a cup of joe.

Last edited:

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Discussed to death already here, many times.

Try the search for more info than you'll care to read.

All you need to know:
Maryjane and Jaegermeister
Nothing in this world make you feel nicer.
Mary-Jane-and-1.jpg

How appropriate that Jaeger is there, BB. I can confirm. Helped me fuel to take down Michael Wong this past weekend in NC, haha.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
It's a simple formula
If you play too slow,,take Speed
If you play too fast...take Barbiturates
If you can't break...Inject a bull in you butt
If you overthink... Take Prozac
If you do all of the above...Take all of the above

All kidding aside. I would tell my opponets, you missed the shaft with the talcum powder and hit your nose, they didn't like it and I didn't care. I would slow up my play and drive them nuts. They were so anxious to play they would miss hangers.

At the straight pool tourney in the Roseland Ballroom a well known champion comes in to begin his match. He looked like he dunked his head in baby powder. He was told to go clean up.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
May he rest in peace, the late great Bill Werbeniuk was in need of medication to play. It cost him his career and I suspect shortened his life. For those unaware of the great Canadian snooker player please have a quick read :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Werbeniuk

Dave

PS On the video of another great Canadian Cliff Thorburn scoring the first 147 in World Championship play, you can see Bill .... he stopped in the middle of his match on an adjacent table to watch his friend complete the maximum ... a stirring moment captured.

Last edited: