Benefits of playing opponents with less skill

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
When selecting opponents of less skill is it worth it to play them?

How can a strong player develop their game while playing against a weaker player?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
If you learn how to keep focused and still play your best against weaker players it can help you learn how to do the same against stronger players.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being able to play your best game against
them is a difficult challenge.
Staying focused for 2 or 3 hours when
they are missing every third ball or
choking on money balls is not easy.
Also playing safe when your supposed
to instead of shooting the superstar
shot because you know they cant get out.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think againast6 a weaker player you can develop your game a little more. You have the
opportunity to try some things you typically wouldn't try against a better or equal player.
You might take this opportunity to not be so careful

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Always play the table, not your opponent.

That’s how it should be, but we all think about the playing ability of our opponent and kind of subconsciously let that affect our own playing. You know how you play up or down depending upon your opponent’s skill level.

Just try to play as good (and as smart) as you can... always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How can a strong player develop their game while playing against a weaker player?

Didn't Efren used to say that he likes watching newbies, bad players play pool. Because he can see what is possible watching all kinds of shots that these players will play :D
Much like de Bono creativity where you are encouraged to ask dumb questions.
But I am guessing Efren is exception to the rule.
Most strong players will not play weak player unless it is for money :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I find it actually harder to keep focus and play my best against worse players. In my mind I am always thinking about how bad they must feel to see someone beating them easily. That causes me to "miss" some shots where I would otherwise just run out the game against a good player that I know will punish me for missing.

If you give up a good enough spot that will get your focused though. I just played in a doubles tournament where our team had to play another one 7-3. With my partner not being a very good player (he was maybe a C+) and not knowing how to pick good patterns in 8 ball, it took a lot of thinking and good play on my end to overcome that spot and the fact my partner tended to pick the wrong shot to play. I was pretty focused the whole time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Makes you focus. You need to beat 'em into the dust. No let up. Give them ZERO air.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Some really nice opinions/advice given so far.

My wife is several levels below me and when we play (which is often), she gets a big spot. I have to work my a$$ off to overcome the weight. As competitive as my wife is coupled with the fact that I don't really want her beating me, I have to focus and shoot good pool to beat her.

So I would have to say YES to the OP's question. There can be benefits....but it's got to be done right.

FWIW, my wife beats me about two out of every three matches we play against one another. I think it's about time to change the spot, eh?

Maniac

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great way to welcome new people to the sport!
No wonder Pool in America is dying.

What??
As long as the person knows you play good I see
it as disrespectful to that person to let up on them in
any way. Most of the time they want to play with you
because you play good. They want to learn and
are excited to see good pool first hand.
In my experience if you dont play well against them
for whatever reason, they think you are letting up
on them(sometimes we all miss balls or play poorly).
They want you to beat them into dust not the other
way around.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
[(Always play the table, not your opponent.)
That’s how it should be, but we all think about the playing ability of our opponent and kind of subconsciously let that affect our own playing. You know how you play up or down depending upon your opponent’s skill level.

Just try to play as good (and as smart) as you can... always.

To me, pool is a war game...ignore your opponent’s strengths and weaknesses at your own peril.
Can you imagine a boxer or a chess player not wanting to know anything about his opponent?

But I agree with playing your best, regardless of your opponent...
...he’s probably playing you to learn...showing him what’s possible is good for his game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who feels bad about beating lower level players? I'm talking about people who are really terrible.

My wife for example is a terrible player. I never play full speed when I play her. The only upside is when she does run a couple ball she is joyous and I tend to sometimes lose the joy in playing.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who feels bad about beating lower level players? I'm talking about people who are really terrible.

My wife for example is a terrible player. I never play full speed when I play her. The only upside is when she does run a couple ball she is joyous and I tend to sometimes lose the joy in playing.

Definitely not, I have for sure felt that way.

I try to change the way I think about playing with them.
I'm not really playing them I'm playing myself.
I may go into the session wanting to be better
at something specific; psr, stroke, safety and smart play,
X amount of b&r in a row, etc.
I also limit the amount of time I spend playing with
that speed of player. Only 15% of time sparring
a month with them.
They all celebrate stupid shots, lucky shots, you fking up
and get out once in a while. I have learned to do
my level best to be happy for them( not easy)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

No it usually makes me feel good and gives a confidence boost when i do because they're all like wow
Woa man

which is good for competition