Will this shutdown finish off most pool halls in the US?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Some will close and some will open. Small rooms with low overhead will be the norm. The rooms that live month-2-month may not survive or will have to downsize. Pool won't die off completely.
I consider myself and my poolroom / grill as far luckier than most, as my building and it's contents as well as my home is owned and paid for. However, I never realized how quickly I'd be pinched financially as I am right now, after only 2 weeks. It's looking realistically like we'll be shut down at least until June 1, and it's going to be rough keeping up with the bills coming in.

Even with no more labor costs and food costs, a number of the other bills don't stop. Particularly the big ones like my insurance / liability premium on the business and building, and my family's health insurance premium. Challenging times for all of us, for sure.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider myself and my poolroom / grill as far luckier than most, as my building and it's contents as well as my home is owned and paid for. However, I never realized how quickly I'd be pinched financially as I am right now, after only 2 weeks. It's looking realistically like we'll be shut down at least until June 1, and it's going to be rough keeping up with the bills coming in.

Even with no more labor costs and food costs, a number of the other bills don't stop. Particularly the big ones like my insurance / liability premium on the business and building, and my family's health insurance premium. Challenging times for all of us, for sure.
Have you contacted your state Ins. Commission? I think some states are working with ins. companies about this very situation. You might get reduced/delayed payment plan. Worth checking on. Wish you well.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
After reading every post on this thread thus far, I am under the impression that it might be a good idea, if the demise of pool rooms comes true, to be one of the first to open up a new room when all the dust from the pandemic settles.

The people/players who have always loved the game and are still in possession of all their pool equipment are going to be looking for a place to be getting back into the pool scene they so thoroughly loved.

The first person in town that opens up a decent pool hall should have all the business he/she could handle. I know that I'd be looking for that place.

But,,,as usual, I could be wrong.

Maniac

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading every post on this thread thus far, I am under the impression that it might be a good idea, if the demise of pool rooms comes true, to be one of the first to open up a new room when all the dust from the pandemic settles.

The people/players who have always loved the game and are still in possession of all their pool equipment are going to be looking for a place to be getting back into the pool scene they so thoroughly loved.

The first person in town that opens up a decent pool hall should have all the business he/she could handle. I know that I'd be looking for that place.

Maniac
Pool rooms generally don't make the major portion of their revenue off the pool table rentals. It's generally the food / bar / alcohol sales that keep a pool room going - particularly when accounting for the square footage rental $ costs for a good location and that each pool table takes up 250 square feet. The investment and effort necessary to run a good Food/Beverage/Bar operation and the employees it requires, is not that simple.

A good business mind would likely maximize their square footage by not even having pool tables. It's most likely only those that can afford it, have a real passion for pool and the desire to have a pool room, that would get in to it, and not likely as a sound investment but moreso for the love for the game.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My family in NYC opened a sports bar exactly one block away from Madison Square Garden.
It opened July 1, 2001 and was a instant big hit. Retired pro players & attendees at basketball
games and prize fights held at the Garden poured in. It had a full kitchen and a 120’ bar, copper
tin ceilings, booths and tables and a private dining room. This joint was a dream of my brother-
In-law and his son or specifically, my nephew. It was a bonanza & it looked like they’d become
very successful til September 11, 2001. Five months later their sports bar closed permanently.

NYC completely closed, a total shutdown for months. That was the death knoll for virtually every
start-up or cash flow dependent business. We’ve gone from being told by our Government that things
were contained when in fact it never was. That PPE, respirators and ventilators were shipped to the
hot zone hospitals when the amount needed exceeds our inventory & mfg. capacity. That 33 days ago,
there’d be zero cases and infections when today those very same officials are today telling us to expect
millions of Americans could actually die from Coronavirus and if it’s only 100,000 to 200,000 deaths, then
that’s really a very good result......OMG. At this point, you cannot trust or rely upon anything that you
are told if it does not directly originate from the lips of Dr. Fauci. He doesn’t lie or distort the truth & facts.
People are doubtful & mistrustful about what they’re being told these same elected officials who have lied.

If a pool hall goes several months without any revenue, a lot of them are going to wind up closing.
After this virus is considered contained and new infections have stopped, things are not going to just
return to normalcy. Sure businesses will reopen but people will still be hesitant to assemble in large
groups, especially at a pool hall which is a Petrie dish. How many folks touch the pool balls, the bridge,
rack, chalk, rails, cloth, table surfaces? Well, way too many not to be concerned while the virus remains
a threat anywhere in the USA. The players that return to the pool room could be asymptomatic and bring
COVID into the pool room. Every time someone sneezes or coughs you’d wonder whether the virus was
being released and distributed in the pool room. People are going to be slow to return to large gatherings
and APA, BCA, etc. involve exactly that. A lot of people in a small, confined space all touching & handling
the same common objects.......Hmn......doesn’t sound like a medically prudent thing to do until there’s been
a national or state-wide all clear announced. So just like with 9/11, highly cash flow dependent businesses
are going to close and may not return. In other words, when this is all said & done, there’ll be fewer rooms.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac

You are are very astute business person. I do think, in certain locations, where the rooms may be closed for the next 3 months or more, and if past due rents are not reduced or forgiven, rooms will not reopen. Just like any other brick and mortar small business; business people will be looking at those that do not reopen, assess their prior success, level of competition, reliability of post virus business reclamation; ability to do take overs without requiring new build outs, etc. etc.
No doubt every community will have a few well heeled local business people targeting great prospects and either building a similar business from scratch or doing take overs at fire sale business prices. I feel for any of the unfortunate who fall prey to these losses through no fault of their own- billiards or any other.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shutdown could go either way. Those rooms with a cash reserve, good employee's and a decent landlord or own may make it through. I would expect the public will not be flush with cash when we reopen and it will be difficult to get leagues restarted seeings how we stopped play early. Jay Helfert believes pool will survive and I do agree with Jay but not completely. We were on a resurgence and things were starting to look up but these setbacks can be fickle. I'm lucky in that I own my building and business and I do have staying power but the rest of my colleagues in Cali may have problems. So let's hope we get through this sooner rather than later and that we can look back on this as a pimple that went away but it hurt while it was there.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shutdown could go either way. Those rooms with a cash reserve, good employee's and a decent landlord or own may make it through. I would expect the public will not be flush with cash when we reopen and it will be difficult to get leagues restarted seeings how we stopped play early. Jay Helfert believes pool will survive and I do agree with Jay but not completely. We were on a resurgence and things were starting to look up but these setbacks can be fickle. I'm lucky in that I own my building and business and I do have staying power but the rest of my colleagues in Cali may have problems. So let's hope we get through this sooner rather than later and that we can look back on this as a pimple that went away but it hurt while it was there.
You stated that pool was on a resurgence before this pandemic, really? What part of the country is/was that the case? Certainly not in NC.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
You stated that pool was on a resurgence before this pandemic, really? What part of the country is/was that the case? Certainly not in NC.

Had you have ventured into the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex before the pandemic hit, you would have seen that pool is alive and well in some areas of the country (I'm suspecting that Houston does as well as D/FW).

I bet there are many other places nationwide that could claim the same success.

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had you have ventured into the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex before the pandemic hit, you would have seen that pool is alive and well in some areas of the country (I'm suspecting that Houston does as well as D/FW).

I bet there are many other places nationwide that could claim the same success.

Maniac
KC has been doing pretty well lately. Multiple rooms all doing good, ton of league play if that's your deal and a decent number of tournaments. The Sidepockets chain of rooms is one of the nicest in the country.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ChrisNC respectfully Sir the DMV area for sure. There are more pool tournaments, leagues and start up pool rooms in the Virginia, D.C and Maryland area than in I have seen. Maryland has 4 or 5 State tournaments that draw more than 100 people per event. Northern Virginia is loaded with new rooms. You also have Roys Basement in Northern V.a. He has been hosting the biggest money matches on the Planet. There is several new rooms in Maryland. There are so many tournaments and leagues every day of the week has been covered up until now. There also is coverage of all the latest news in the area on social media.

Regards

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ChrisNC respectfully Sir the DMV area for sure. There are more pool tournaments, leagues and start up pool rooms in the Virginia, D.C and Maryland area than in I have seen. Maryland has 4 or 5 State tournaments that draw more than 100 people per event. Northern Virginia is loaded with new rooms. You also have Roys Basement in Northern V.a. He has been hosting the biggest money matches on the Planet. There is several new rooms in Maryland. There are so many tournaments and leagues every day of the week has been covered up until now. There also is coverage of all the latest news in the area on social media.

Regards
It’s nice to hear that there are areas of the country that pool rooms are doing well, and I’m sorry to come across as so negative. I guess leagues are thriving in many areas, and the hard core players will always be there. I do think though in smaller rural markets like mine, the number of recreational players has generally continued to decrease. I know it has for our pool room gradually over the 24+ years we’ve been open.

We closed the pool room two weeks ago, and have done take out orders only for the past two weeks. Today is our last day of doing that, and we are closing down completely for at least a month, more realistically 2+ months. All our employees will be or have already been drawing unemployment. I am taking advantage of this time to get some things done in here I’ve needed to do for a long time, but wouldn’t have been able to do without shutting down, such as refinishing the floors, painting, etc., etc.

When we do re-open, whenever that is, we will have our pool room looking better than ever and ready to go! Hopefully the customers will be back!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards

Northern va is loaded with new rooms? Can you name them, Please?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

May as well apply for the SBA relief now. There is a 10K quickie loan and another 25K package as well. I have no clue how long it will take them to respond.

https://www.sba.gov/

Soon, your local bank will have another SBA package you should be eligible for which will grant loan relief for some expenses. Also, you may be eligible for unemployment even if your're self-employed now.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Northern va is loaded with new rooms? Can you name them, Please?

So Black Bailed I should not need to tell you if you live in Northern V.A about the pool scene. We have it 1000 percent better than most. There are many lots of pool rooms in Northern V.A. many of which are relatively new. You can google pool rooms in Northern V.A and read the list. Just to name a few Happi Billiards, The Bungalow Billiard club, Great Wall Billiards, Revolution Billiards in Springfield and Revolution Billiards in Fairfax, Continental Billiards, Whetzel's Billiards, Breakers Sky Lounge, Cue Club Cafe, First Break Billiards, Green Room, O'Shaughnessy's pub, Hard Times Billiards, Crystal City sports pub, Spider Kelly's, Buffalo Mo"s. All outraged up and no where to go? Cheers

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
If everything goes smoothly, there shall be no evictions allowed during this downtime. And as such, most banks will be easing payments for properties affected by the mandated closures.

No the sky is not falling.

If they don’t go broke, I think people will be so glad to be OUT OF THE HOUSE that the FREEDOM of seeing people, playing with people, etc. will carryover long enough for rooms to continue. But don’t have a crystal ball about this so..... hope I am right. It is a beautiful addicting game.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May as well apply for the SBA relief now. There is a 10K quickie loan and another 25K package as well. I have no clue how long it will take them to respond.

https://www.sba.gov/

Soon, your local bank will have another SBA package you should be eligible for which will grant loan relief for some expenses. Also, you may be eligible for unemployment even if your're self-employed now.

They are fast-tracking it. The 10k should be in your bank within 3 days and then they will get together with you and try to figure out how much you need.

One of the programs is payroll for 8 weeks - which is mostly forgiven if you keep everyone on the payroll, you have to pay the interest though - and up to 2.5x payroll for other expenses (mortgage, rent, utilities, etc...)

The program is evolving as more information becomes available. If you have a bank that you work with you can go through them. Watch out for people who want to charge you to help you apply.

I'm not a lawyer or accountant but I am going through the process so I have been researching it.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who think pool players have it hard today should read McGoorty to see how he got through the 1930s. The joke headline was, "Pool Hall Burns Down, Hundreds Homeless".
Bob, Here below is the photo they ran with the contemporary story describing the actual incident of the near-tragic fire that eventually was given a wisecrack spin by a New York columnist. Taken during the 1930s Depression it was captioned as:

"New York firemen taking a pool playing break after extinguishing a Manhattan pool room fire"
. NYC 1930s firemen play pool after pool room fire.jpg
More than a few such pool room fires around the country were "belt-outs" (New York-ese for owner-hired "insurance money" arson jobs.) Monthly income for some room owners had radically diminished during those ultra-lean years.

Arnaldo

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Our only pool hall shutdown a while back, sure do miss it.

Last edited: