Cushion Glue

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
No top tier table mechanic that I know of still uses weldwood today.

I guess I'm not "top-tier", in the mind of the Mighty RKC.

How will I ever sleep tonight?

Weldwood is one of the cheapest neoprene contact cements available. It is also readily available at any local hardware store. It functions exactly the same as any of the other commonly known neoprene contact adhesives on the market.

In regards to shear strength, it is plenty strong enough for bonding cushions and facings to rails.

However, because RKC is peddling his own contact cement now, every other contact cement on the market is inferior..

I'm not knocking RKC250. In fact, I bought a gallon of it, and I've been using it for the past couple of months. It works fine.. Just as 3M-10 does.. Just as Weldwood does..

The point is: use whichever of these contact cements that you can get your hands on. They all work just fine, if used properly. Each has their differences, but they all function the same.

And don't buy into the hype that RKC250 has no odor.. It is every bit as potent as any of the alternatives. You should absolutely take the necessary safety precautions, when using any of these products.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Weldwood is one of the cheapest neoprene contact cements available. It is also readily available at any local hardware store. It functions exactly the same as any of the other commonly known neoprene contact adhesives on the market.

In regards to shear strength, it is plenty strong enough for bonding cushions and facings to rails.

However, because RKC is peddling his own contact cement now, every other contact cement on the market is inferior..

I'm not knocking RKC250. In fact, I bought a gallon of it, and I've been using it for the past couple of months. It works fine.. Just as 3M-10 does.. Just as Weldwood does..

The point is: use whichever of these contact cements that you can get your hands on. They all work just fine, if used properly. Each has their differences, but they all function the same.

And don't buy into the hype that RKC250 has no odor.. It is every bit as potent as any of the alternatives. You should absolutely take the necessary safety precautions, when using any of these products.

How does the oder of the RKC250 compare to 3M10? And the facings still drop using weldwood, all you have to do is look at them after the rails ha e been recovered and in use for a while, even 3M10 drops the facings....prove me wrong!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

And you're right, all contact adhesives work to some extent, it's just that some work better than others, or all adhesives would be the same formula, yet they're not!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Tell me something, do you use weldwood to I stall the bed cloth on your glue downs??

bradsh98

Silver Member
Tell me something, do you use weldwood to I stall the bed cloth on your glue downs??

I have used Weldwood on bed cloth, though it is not my typical practice. I prefer 3M-90.

How does the oder of the RKC250 compare to 3M10? And the facings still drop using weldwood, all you have to do is look at them after the rails ha e been recovered and in use for a while, even 3M10 drops the facings....prove me wrong!

I agree. To avoid having the facings drop, the surfaces need to be properly prepped, and you need to wait an ample amount of time, before bonding the surfaces together. This is regardless of which contact cement is used.

I do not yet have enough experience with RKC250, to confidently say that it is better or worse than the other available adhesives. I have not yet tried Parabond 250, though I see little difference between RKC250, 3M-10, and Weldwood. Slight differences in dry-times and consistency, but not much difference otherwise, including the odor.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have used Weldwood on bed cloth, though it is not my typical practice. I prefer 3M-90.

I agree. To avoid having the facings drop, the surfaces need to be properly prepped, and you need to wait an ample amount of time, before bonding the surfaces together. This is regardless of which contact cement is used.

I do not yet have enough experience with RKC250, to confidently say that it is better or worse than the other available adhesives. I have not yet tried Parabond 250, though I see little difference between RKC250, 3M-10, and Weldwood. Slight differences in dry-times and consistency, but not much difference otherwise, including the odor.

I can't stand spray glue installed bed cloths, and again, no top TIER mechanics use spray glue to install the bed cloths, and NO spray glue is as strong at holding the bed cloths tight as a good roll on glue.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I know you're a pretty good mechanic, and I've referred work in your direction several times, but if you're still spray gluing your bed cloths down, you really need to step up to learing how to use the roll on glue method.

bradsh98

Silver Member
I know you're a pretty good mechanic, and I've referred work in your direction several times, but if you're still spray gluing your bed cloths down, you really need to step up to learing how to use the roll on glue method.

Ha! Funny.

Have you ever used 3M-90? It holds every bit as strong as 3M-10.

I will agree that 3M-77 will not hold up. You might get away with it on a bar box, but not strictly edge-glued applications. 3M-90 however, is plenty strong enough, when used properly.

Rolling glue requires much greater care on the cloth. Too much pressure, and you have glue bleeding through.. Even your fancy 'blue' glue will leave a nasty stain. 3M-90 is much more forgiving. Not only that, the odor is MUCH less obnoxious.

3M-90 might be a bit more expensive, but it is much easier to work with, and it is readily available everywhere.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ha! Funny.

Have you ever used 3M-90? It holds every bit as strong as 3M-10.

I will agree that 3M-77 will not hold up. You might get away with it on a bar box, but not strictly edge-glued applications. 3M-90 however, is plenty strong enough, when used properly.

Rolling glue requires much greater care on the cloth. Too much pressure, and you have glue bleeding through.. Even your fancy 'blue' glue will leave a nasty stain. 3M-90 is much more forgiving. Not only that, the odor is MUCH less obnoxious.

3M-90 might be a bit more expensive, but it is much easier to work with, and it is readily available everywhere.

So you use spray 90 to install the bed cloths on Diamonds as well???

bradsh98

Silver Member
So you use spray 90 to install the bed cloths on Diamonds as well???

Sure do. Works great. Has an adjustable spray nozzle. Makes it easy to control the spray pattern. Use a cardboard shield, to catch over-spray. But, if you take proper care, there is very little.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sure do. Works great. Has an adjustable spray nozzle. Makes it easy to control the spray pattern. Use a cardboard shield, to catch over-spray. But, if you take proper care, there is very little.

Well, Diamond absolutely does not support that method of installing the bed cloths on their pool tables, and again, NO top TIER mechanics use spray glue to install the bed cloths as we've pretty much all have spend years cleaning the spray glue build up OFF the slates so the rails would sit at the right nose heights.

bradsh98

Silver Member
Well, Diamond absolutely does not support that method of installing the bed cloths on their pool tables, and again, NO top TIER mechanics use spray glue to install the bed cloths as we've pretty much all have spend years cleaning the spray glue build up OFF the slates so the rails would sit at the right nose heights.

It's obvious that you've never used 3M-90. If you had, you would know how easy it is to avoid getting glue on the top-side of the slate.

But, it makes you look better to try to discredit me.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's obvious that you've never used 3M-90. If you had, you would know how easy it is to avoid getting glue on the top-side of the slate.

That's his forte'...………………:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

What, you think you discovered some kind of new super spray glue or something? 3M spray 77, 76, and 90 have been around at least as long as I've been working on pool tables, back in 83'. I've had to scrap off every kind of spray glue ever used on slates to install cloth, they're all nasty to clean up. Spray 90 don't even come close to the holding strength of the FB10, let alone the RKC250 when it comes to installing the cloth on tight, you just haven't taken the rti.e to master the use of them, so the discredit is on you, not me.

bradsh98

Silver Member
What, you think you discovered some kind of new super spray glue or something? 3M spray 77, 76, and 90 have been around at least as long as I've been working on pool tables, back in 83'. I've had to scrap off every kind of spray glue ever used on slates to install cloth, they're all nasty to clean up. Spray 90 don't even come close to the holding strength of the FB10, let alone the RKC250 when it comes to installing the cloth on tight, you just haven't taken the rti.e to master the use of them, so the discredit is on you, not me.

I didn't say that I made any great new discovery. What I did say: 3M-90 works great. It is easy to use, and holds plenty strong enough. I have used 3M-10 for bed cloth installs. I have also used Weldwood, and even tried Penguin Amusement glue.

I've already stated before, that 3M-77 is not suitable for an edge-glue application. Aside from strength, I dislike it for the amount of over-spray that it produces. However, 3M-90 is plenty suitable. It holds strong, and is removed every bit as easily as 3M-10. It has an adjustable nozzle, which sprays a web-like pattern, that can be easily controlled.

What I like most about using 3M-90 is the ease of use. I don't need a roller, messy jar/can of glue, surface/tray to roll glue out on, roller covers, etc... I don't need to worry about applying too much pressure, and bleeding through the cloth, or about the local availability, should I run out. While 3M-77, with its fine airborne particles, causes a very strong odor, 3M-90 is MUCH less severe. In fact, the odor of 3M-90 is much less severe than ANY of the other contact cements that I have used, INCLUDING RKC250.

Glen, you aren't winning this one. I'm not just some dummy that you can bully. You are attempting to degrade me, for the use of a product that you obviously have no experience using. If you think that I don't experiment, you are wrong. If you want to suggest that I don't perform high-quality work, you are dead-wrong. My Diamond bed cloth installs are much cleaner than any of the ones that I've replaced (from the factory).

I really don't care if you approve or not. For me, working on pool tables is a hobby. As with any hobby, I am passionate about it. I strive to perform the best work possible, and I continue to educate myself. Though, I do have a career. I don't need to be a billiard forum svengali, to punch my next meal ticket.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I didn't say that I made any great new discovery. What I did say: 3M-90 works great. It is easy to use, and holds plenty strong enough. I have used 3M-10 for bed cloth installs. I have also used Weldwood, and even tried Penguin Amusement glue.

I've already stated before, that 3M-77 is not suitable for an edge-glue application. Aside from strength, I dislike it for the amount of over-spray that it produces. However, 3M-90 is plenty suitable. It holds strong, and is removed every bit as easily as 3M-10. It has an adjustable nozzle, which sprays a web-like pattern, that can be easily controlled.

What I like most about using 3M-90 is the ease of use. I don't need a roller, messy jar/can of glue, surface/tray to roll glue out on, roller covers, etc... I don't need to worry about applying too much pressure, and bleeding through the cloth, or about the local availability, should I run out. While 3M-77, with its fine airborne particles, causes a very strong odor, 3M-90 is MUCH less severe. In fact, the odor of 3M-90 is much less severe than ANY of the other contact cements that I have used, INCLUDING RKC250.

Glen, you aren't winning this one. I'm not just some dummy that you can bully. You are attempting to degrade me, for the use of a product that you obviously have no experience using. If you think that I don't experiment, you are wrong. If you want to suggest that I don't perform high-quality work, you are dead-wrong. My Diamond bed cloth installs are much cleaner than any of the ones that I've replaced (from the factory).

I really don't care if you approve or not. For me, working on pool tables is a hobby. As with any hobby, I am passionate about it. I strive to perform the best work possible, and I continue to educate myself. Though, I do have a career. I don't need to be a billiard forum svengali, to punch my next meal ticket.

Yes, I have experience with 3M90, I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I passed on using the glue once I found out FB10 held the cloth as tight as I install it, whereas spray 90 won't....that's my take on spray glue!!

bradsh98

Silver Member
Yes, I have experience with 3M90, I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I passed on using the glue once I found out FB10 held the cloth as tight as I install it, whereas spray 90 won't....that's my take on spray glue!!

I've never had 3M-90 come loose, no matter how tight I pull it.

Sounds to me, like 'you haven't taken the time to master the use of it.'