how are ya'll doing in league ?

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played bcapl years ago when it was available here and enjoyed it .as i stated i just dropped my wed night bcapl points based money league. i started the team and was captain of it... my co-captain is still trying to talk me into playing next session. he went as far as keeping my name on the roster he just turned in for next session.

i love playing pool but am getting up in years and it was just wearing me out playing so much. we finished in 3rd place this session so i feel pretty good about that.

let me ask you a question if you don't mind.... in your league do you give up points each match considering you are loaded with all 9's?

btw... congrats on the 1st place finish.:thumbup:

We always give up around 8-12 points per round unless we are playing our rivals who have all 9s and an 8. The two teams that are stacked always come in first or second out of around 14 teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
I play in an APA 8-Ball open league. No BCA league closeby unfortunately. We just finished up the fall session Tuesday by clinching first place for the second session in a row. Also my second session playing in APA. SL6. Went 11-3 this session but got to the hill in all three losses. I was ranked 5th in top gun going into this week. Wish I could play more but too much going on. Its fun. I enjoy playing. I enjoy the competition. I enjoy the night out with my buddies.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played my first season in an APA 8 ball league this fall. I started by loosing my first 2 matches. Then I won 7 straight with a couple of shut outs. Then I was bumped to a 4. I tried playing the last 2 matches with flu symptoms against 3s and lost both . To make it worse I won the first 2 games of both matches, and could not close the deal :angry: Now I'm at 7 wins - 4 loses.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA 8-ball / 7 Wins - 2 Losses

Out of 9 matches I only had to play on a Valley once (All Diamonds around here) :)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Been playing APA 9b with friends for several seasons.
Our team just got knocked out in semi's... the players who usually win, lost. The ones who usually lose, won.
It's a good time and we're all buddies, and we often hover around the top 3 spots, but when
the pressure's on we fold like an origami corgi.

I'm doing ok personally, for the first few seasons I was 100% as a 7, got some MVP patches.
But I got cocky. They raised me to a 9 and not long after I had my first loss in a long time.
Then a few more and I was starting to wonder if I just lost my drive.
I don't think it was the handicap, I think I just got complacent.

But since then I've won a couple more but I've managed to stabilize at just over 80%. Someone else will get MVP
and I'm fine with that, he's a friend who's in the same boat I was before... he's winning 90% but he's underranked.
Sometimes it takes a while for the system to adjust.

I don't get to play much because the numbers rarely work, but I always enjoy the night out.
Try to watch every match and I always stay til the end, I enjoy trying to help with timeouts
and I don't even mind scoring anymore.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes it takes a while for the system to adjust.

That's what I figured out my first session. It took an entire session for me to bump to an SL5 from an SL3 at the start. The first match I had ever played in, I played an SL4 with myself being defaulted to an SL4. He won 3-2, it was basically runout 8-ball and I sold out on a difficult safety. It was a fun match for sure.

Now he's an SL6 (I believe) and I'll be playing on the team he plays for, next session. :thumbup:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://vimeo.com/78388124

Really enjoying league now that score sheets have gone away. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

That is really cool!

Only two things wrong with TAP League scoring.

When someone scratches on a shot and incoming player has ball in hand.

a. Maybe that first ball made with ball in hand should be counted as a dead ball.
b. Maybe when you make a ball and scratch, maybe that should also be a dead ball. It maybe a complete, but it is a screw up. I know all the numbers need to add up but scratches and ball in hand shots should be counted some other way.

And break and runs should count more toward figuring someone's handicap.

If you can break and run over 20 racks in a year, you really shouldn't be a 5.

Banks

Banned
Didn't play that well, but squeaked by in my 9 8b matches(think I locked up top gun and mvp). It was really driven home the last few months that my 9b game sucks in comparison, got a win on our last night to make myself 3 of 6. On my masters team, my (lack of) 9b game was glaringly obvious, but managed 6 of 11. Probably also doesn't help that I feel like a weak link on that team. The last week or so I feel like I've been shooting alright again.. we'll see. :embarrassed2:

RunOut Apps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:
:thumbup:

That is really cool!

Only two things wrong with TAP League scoring.

When someone scratches on a shot and incoming player has ball in hand.

a. Maybe that first ball made with ball in hand should be counted as a dead ball.
b. Maybe when you make a ball and scratch, maybe that should also be a dead ball. It maybe a complete, but it is a screw up. I know all the numbers need to add up but scratches and ball in hand shots should be counted some other way.

And break and runs should count more toward figuring someone's handicap.

If you can break and run over 20 racks in a year, you really shouldn't be a 5.

Thank You!

Nothing is "wrong" with the TAP's Pool-net handicapping system, In fact it is the most precise league handicapping system available today.

Pool-net does not account for shape, draw, follow etc.

Having said that..
a. I have seen hundreds of ball in hand shots missed. Pool-net recognizes this.
b. When you call and complete a ball?..it is a completion, period. If you then scratch and the next shot is awarded to your opponent?...Pool-net recognizes this as well.
c. Running 20 racks a year is relative to how many total racks per year? You must first answer that question prior to passing judgment on any players skill level.

No system is perfect. However Pool-net's handicapping system paired with the ScoreKeeper App is now the most precise handicapping system now available in the industry.

If you want to compare systems that employ baseball analogies?...there is no comparison. Not even close. We are now seeing those players who have been frustrated for years switching over en mass across the country.

We are also seeing the TAP league ops adopt this new system every day as it greatly increases efficiency of running their leagues. It now takes them minutes to run all score sheets as opposed to hours and even days to complete the task to old way.

Please give it a shot, we think you will agree. ;)

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, since you asked, in the finals of the APA Masters playoffs tonight, my first two players lost 7-6, 7-3. So I had to win 7-1 or better . . . and I did!

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doing OK so far:

http://bvbw.billardarea.de/cms_leagues/playerlist/4365

(Player ranked No5 at present)

10-Ball was surprisingly successful, but straight pool did start rattling (last match I won with a reasonable performance) ...
9-Ball is not my Thing, so I seldom Play, 8-Ball is my favorite, but for the Team I let my Team mate have it, since he cannot Play 10 - Ball for his life ... (the game I lost was pure stupidity ... I missed 3 times easy 8s that day after running out difficult tables to this point each time :mad:)

My team is doing surprisingly well , but we lost the last two matches 2:6 with most games we lost being on the edge ....

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I play JPA (Japanese branch of APA), but half my team went up in skill this session, so thanks to the 23-rule, I'm relegated to coaching duty and can only sit and watch the matches every week. All I can say is thank goodness they serve alcohol.

Anyway, we were going strong and then the wheels fell off near the end of the session and we finished out of the playoffs. But they held a wildcard draw to fill the last playoff spot in our division and I happened to draw the winning ticket, so I contributed after all. Wish us luck!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I went back to playing BCA sanctioned team 8-ball. Played 3 seasons of straight pool which helped my stroke and my decision making (if you can't make a shot, then go for a safety). Took lessons, and put in alot of time practicing drills and working on my stroke at the poolhall.

wow... what did you do to go from a 3 to a 5 after taking a 2 year hiatus?

thats an impressive win % you have going. hope you keep it up.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you and your team won any patches? I'm curious what the JPA patches look like.

Gambatte next season.

I play JPA (Japanese branch of APA), but half my team went up in skill this session, so thanks to the 23-rule, I'm relegated to coaching duty and can only sit and watch the matches every week. All I can say is thank goodness they serve alcohol.

Anyway, we were going strong and then the wheels fell off near the end of the session and we finished out of the playoffs. But they held a wildcard draw to fill the last playoff spot in our division and I happened to draw the winning ticket, so I contributed after all. Wish us luck!

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
play in the tap league and agree with a prior post that the handicap system is probably the best imho, however, due to the thanksgiving holiday I did not pick up a cue for almost 2 weeks so last night I got crushed....before the holiday I was shooting "lights out".....crushing my opponents, now I know how it feels. :(
I mean, WTH happened? :help::banghead::shrug:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I've got some patches but they all say APA on them. I think they're the same ones you guys get on the other side of the pond.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Speaking of patches. I'm gonna be brutally honest.

I enjoy the APA and the patches are a nice way of recognizing accomplishments.
But I saw one guy last night who has like 40 of them all attached to a sort of giant keyring,
which is attached to his case. He won top point scorer, which comes with a little wall hanging,
except instead of the wall he hung it around his neck like a lobster bib. Another dude had patches
sewn all across the upper back of his electric blue rayon turtlenecked zipup shirt/jacket thing.

I'm sorry but holy cow that's goofy.