The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
To Kim or any other WX900 user, what is your take on switching from a 314-2 to a WX900? I've played with Predator for about 4 years in total (I love the shaft) but I am very curious about the WX900. Please give me some input on what I can expect if I switch to the 900...Will the size be a big difference and would it be hard to adjust to the difference, etc. Thank you for your input(s)/ advice.

It may be a little to small for you The 900 is 12mm and has a conical tapper, I would recommend trying the 12.5 700 (WX700) as it also has a pro tapper like your 314...

Either way moving from those junk glued together LD shafts and you will see what you have been missing. Mezz uses fantastic shaft wood.

-Drew

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be a little to small for you The 900 is 12mm and has a conical tapper, I would recommend trying the 12.5 700 (WX700) as it also has a pro tapper like your 314...

Either way moving from those junk glued together LD shafts and you will see what you have been missing. Mezz uses fantastic shaft wood.

-Drew

Thank you for your input HueblerHustler7! I am now on the lookout for a WX700...

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim Bye, or anyone else.....

Can you post a picture of a WX900 next to a WX700 or WD700. I would like to see how much smaller the tip and taper is.

Thanks so much

sprben83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a wd700 the moment it came out and realized ld shafts were no gimmick. I used to shoot with a joss cue, and I remember the day I got the shaft the biggest difference I noticed was how light it was compared to the joss shaft. Never looked back. Had to buy replacements because it warped, but that was before I knew anything about the wx900 or was even willing to try it. I'll be honest, the conical taper had me a little not wanting to pull the trigger because of what I've been used to for years. Alas,...I bit the bullet and I got the wx900 around October................. and I absolutely love it. The size difference actually didn't affect me too much either. Decided to go for the whole mezz package instead of a joss/mezz combo and got myself an ec7-cmn. Not for nothing, but I'd suggest buying a whole cue. I actually feel a slight difference with the all mezz setup.

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Kim. I'd like to ask you about mezz shafts.

I've tried both z2 and 314-2 shaft. The z2 shaft is a good shaft but long straight shot is harder to take than the 314-2 shaft. 314-2 is more forgiving while z2 shaft needs a perfect stroke. If your stroke is off, your game will suffer with z2 shaft.

If it is almost similar to z2 shaft, is it also unforgiving on most shots?

Is it easy for you to take a long straight shot using wx900?

Do you need a perfect stroke to use the wx900?

Have you tried the ex pro shaft? How does it deflect compared to the 4 shafts I mentioned.

Thank you.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Kim. I'd like to ask you about mezz shafts.

I've tried both z2 and 314-2 shaft. The z2 shaft is a good shaft but long straight shot is harder to take than the 314-2 shaft. 314-2 is more forgiving while z2 shaft needs a perfect stroke. If your stroke is off, your game will suffer with z2 shaft.

If it is almost similar to z2 shaft, is it also unforgiving on most shots?

Is it easy for you to take a long straight shot using wx900?

Do you need a perfect stroke to use the wx900?

Have you tried the ex pro shaft? How does it deflect compared to the 4 shafts I mentioned.

Thank you.

WX900 has a 12mm tip diameter, so it is less forgiving than a typical 12.75mm shaft (like 314-2)
However I find playing with the WX900 much easier than Z2 or McDermott i3 or similar 11.75mm shafts, so there seems to be a magical border around 12mm, atleast for me :)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the Exceed EX Pro shafts, I have been waiting for Mezz to produce a 30" version. I just got confirmation that My 30" EX Pro shaft will be awailable in June 2015.
I`ll post a review in this thread as soon as I get it.

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WX900 has a 12mm tip diameter, so it is less forgiving than a typical 12.75mm shaft (like 314-2)

However I find playing with the WX900 much easier than Z2 or McDermott i3 or similar 11.75mm shafts, so there seems to be a magical border around 12mm, atleast for me :)

I agree!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jhun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll wait for your ex pro feedback here.

Last edited:

mattyice

Registered
I'll wait for your ex pro feedback here.

I hope the 12.5mm tip diameter will be forgiving like 314-2 with a similar or lower deflection shaft than z2. If this is the case, this will be the perfect shaft for me.

I was going to post an update now that I've had my Mezz setup for a few months now, but I'll piggyback off of this since I used to play with Predator shafts and am so glad I made the switch.

I went from a Z-2 on a Joss butt to a Mezz ZZ36 with a WX700 shaft. The diameter increase concerned me since I actually felt pretty dialed in with my Z-2, but the 12.5mm diameter is definitely more forgiving. I always found the 12.75mm diameter just a little too big, so 12.5 seems just right, and the feel and feedback of a Mezz shaft is just way better than a Predator, in my opinion. But that's pretty subjective. I've heard people tell me how great the Z-2 feels, but once I got my Mezz the Z-2 felt a little too whippy and buzzy, especially on long power shots. Also, while I'm sure the numbers would suggest that a WX700 will play with more deflection than a Z-2, I haven't felt like I've significantly adjusted my aim to compensate. And I also think I'm playing better now than ever. Much more consistency, much less unintended spin on shots, and my runout percentage has climbed substantially. So once again, thanks to all you fellow Mezz users posting here, because your feedback really helped me pull the trigger on buying one, and I feel better about my game now than I ever have.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to post an update now that I've had my Mezz setup for a few months now, but I'll piggyback off of this since I used to play with Predator shafts and am so glad I made the switch.

I went from a Z-2 on a Joss butt to a Mezz ZZ36 with a WX700 shaft. The diameter increase concerned me since I actually felt pretty dialed in with my Z-2, but the 12.5mm diameter is definitely more forgiving. I always found the 12.75mm diameter just a little too big, so 12.5 seems just right, and the feel and feedback of a Mezz shaft is just way better than a Predator, in my opinion. But that's pretty subjective. I've heard people tell me how great the Z-2 feels, but once I got my Mezz the Z-2 felt a little too whippy and buzzy, especially on long power shots. Also, while I'm sure the numbers would suggest that a WX700 will play with more deflection than a Z-2, I haven't felt like I've significantly adjusted my aim to compensate. And I also think I'm playing better now than ever. Much more consistency, much less unintended spin on shots, and my runout percentage has climbed substantially. So once again, thanks to all you fellow Mezz users posting here, because your feedback really helped me pull the trigger on buying one, and I feel better about my game now than I ever have.
Interesting you should bring this up. I have an extra Mezz cue in my bag with spare 30" WX900, Hybrid Pro II and Hybrid Alpha shafts. And the last week I have let several Z2 players play with my Mezz/WX900 combo and the response from each and every one is that they would like to switch from Z2 to WX900, the shaft just feels so much better than Z2.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with standard Schon shafts for 15+ years, then took a long break from the game. When I got back into it, I switched to a Z2. After a few years switched to 314-2, then Mezz, then OB, then back to Mezz. Only reason I switched away from Mezz in the first place was a quality issue with my shaft that wasn't addressed very well. However, I went back and gave it another shot and so far so good.

I don't think the smaller shafts (Z2, OB2, WX900) are inherently less accurate then the thicker shafts (314-2, OB1, WX700). I've played with all of them, and I can hit the same shots, generate the same spin, etc. with all of them. I think beginning or intermediate players get thrown off by the visual appearance of the smaller shaft, so they feel like finding the center axis is tougher. The contact patch is the same with both size shafts, and if anything the smaller shafts deflect a bit less, so any off center hits would be less off center on longer shots than the thicker shaft. There is of course a difference in feel (the smaller ones can feel more "whippy"), deflection (less with the smaller ones), feel in the fingers, or visually looking at the shaft.

That being said, I love my WX700. It definitely has a more solid hit than my 314-2, the OB Classic comes close and that's actually my backup shaft at the moment until I possibly pick up another Mezz. Deflection is virtually the same, I can adjust the same way between the 314-2, OB Classic, or Mezz WX700 and get the same results. I like the 12.5mm vs. the thicker 12.75 on the others, and I feel like I don't have to compromise the thickness of the ferrule to do so (the other LD shaft ferrules are REALLY thin, so taking down the shafts can be dicey).

For those that were thinking about switching, going to the smaller WX900 from a larger shaft will require a slight adjustment, likewise going up to a WX700 from a Z2 etc. will require some adjustment as well. However the gains are definitely worth it long term.

Scott

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice info... i wish i can try this shaft also

I played with standard Schon shafts for 15+ years, then took a long break from the game. When I got back into it, I switched to a Z2. After a few years switched to 314-2, then Mezz, then OB, then back to Mezz. Only reason I switched away from Mezz in the first place was a quality issue with my shaft that wasn't addressed very well. However, I went back and gave it another shot and so far so good.

I don't think the smaller shafts (Z2, OB2, WX900) are inherently less accurate then the thicker shafts (314-2, OB1, WX700). I've played with all of them, and I can hit the same shots, generate the same spin, etc. with all of them. I think beginning or intermediate players get thrown off by the visual appearance of the smaller shaft, so they feel like finding the center axis is tougher. The contact patch is the same with both size shafts, and if anything the smaller shafts deflect a bit less, so any off center hits would be less off center on longer shots than the thicker shaft. There is of course a difference in feel (the smaller ones can feel more "whippy"), deflection (less with the smaller ones), feel in the fingers, or visually looking at the shaft.

That being said, I love my WX700. It definitely has a more solid hit than my 314-2, the OB Classic comes close and that's actually my backup shaft at the moment until I possibly pick up another Mezz. Deflection is virtually the same, I can adjust the same way between the 314-2, OB Classic, or Mezz WX700 and get the same results. I like the 12.5mm vs. the thicker 12.75 on the others, and I feel like I don't have to compromise the thickness of the ferrule to do so (the other LD shaft ferrules are REALLY thin, so taking down the shafts can be dicey).

For those that were thinking about switching, going to the smaller WX900 from a larger shaft will require a slight adjustment, likewise going up to a WX700 from a Z2 etc. will require some adjustment as well. However the gains are definitely worth it long term.

Scott

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tried EXpro recently and wow, by far one of the best shaft from mezz. The taper is quite long, it has more flex than hp2 and alpha but still remain its solid feel. The tip is zan soft so the feel is like a freshly installed master. Feels like sniper as well. Deflection is very near to 314 and alpha.

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: Does anyone know some websites to buy Mezz cues in the US? Looking for the EC7-Es. Is mezzcues.us trustworthy? The website looks a bit outdated.

Last edited:

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know some websites to buy Mezz cues in the US? Looking for the EC7-Es. Is mezzcues.us trustworthy? The website looks a bit outdated.

Seyberts.com, but on first look they don't seem to have the EC7-Es, they do have other EC7 models.