RIP Dave Bollman

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My heart just sank when I read this.
David and I became friends and used to talk golf.
He did work on my cues and always managed not to be there when I picked them up.
And his daughter was forbidden to take any money from me.

I miss you, David......rest in peace

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Sorry for your loss emptypockets.

Dave was a good guy. Many years ago, when he was traveling on the road incognito, he visited my old pool room, the infamous Sport Palace of New Orleans. He came in and played me some cheap one pocket, even up. He didn't have a cue with him and he played with a house cue off the rack. He beat me three games in a row with the house cue and was like others have said, a perfect gentleman. I leaned over close to him and whispered, "Only a TOP PLAYER can beat me with a house cue." He immediately lost three games in a row, quit me and the larcenists came out of the wood works and played him for much larger money for which Dave retrieved his custom cue and won all bets. :D

RIP Dave. You were a good guy. Sincere condolences to Dave's other family.

JoeyA

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Bollman, my friend, my mentor, my 1 pocket partner passed away today from cancer. My prayers go out to his daughter, Maryanne, who is a 100% disabled Veteran and was Dave's pride and joy.

View attachment 307506

Very sorry to hear this, i met Dave in Downingtown pa, around 85-88 in the 2nd round of that 9 ball tournament they used to have up there.

When i drew Bollmans name i knew i was in trouble, even know i got slaughter, i enjoyed every bit of it.

Dave found something nice to say about my game even after he beat me 9-3, he said son you play safes really good and one day you will be a top player!

Dave went on to win that tournament and i never did improve much afterwards!

But i can always say that i played a true champion in playing MR.BOLLMAN!

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More sad news today…I just heard another fine player & good friend, Dave Bollman, has passed away.

Dave was the house pro at Barry Behrman’s Q-Master Billiards in Norfolk, VA for as long as I can remember. He also ran the pro shop there – making cues & doing cue repair. He was always a top ranked player on the various professional & regional tours with many high finishes as well as serving on the executive board of the Men’s Professional Billiard Association (MPBA). He was the ’88 BC Open 9 Ball Champion as well as taking titles at the ’87 Eastern States Championship, the ’88 Capital City Open, the ’94 Roanoke One Pocket Championship, plus many winning McDermott National 9 Ball, National 9 Ball & Viking 9 Ball Tour stop wins. He was not only known for his laid back & easy going personality but also for his tenacious style. No one, & I mean no one, liked to look at the board & see that Dave Bollman was their next match. They knew they were going to be in for a long, tough battle.

When I was a young player in North Jersey, I decided to drive down to Norfolk to the US Open. It was 1979 & I had heard that the best in the country – all the big names I’d heard about - were going to be there. I wanted to be there too.

One day, I was sitting at the counter finishing my lunch when Steve Mizerak walked by. I knew Steve from playing in his pool room in Metuchen, NJ. I said hi to him & he turned around & broke out into a huge grin.

“Mare,” he said. “Just the person I’m looking for!!!”

Thrilled to think he was looking for me, I was impressed. Not so impressed once he told me why he was looking for me – or anybody – for that matter!

Steve asked me if I knew anything about golf. When I told him I really didn’t, he said, “Well, that doesn’t matter…you’re a quick learner. We’ll show you how to keep score…”

Next thing I knew, Steve was telling this really tall guy that he had found them a scorekeeper...

Turned out that the tall guy was Dave Bollman - a former PGA player & one of Steve’s close friends. Dave had matched them up to play a couple of local guys.

I protested, coming up with excuse after excuse not to go – anything I could think of - but I was worn down by Steve’s smooth talk & Dave’s shy smile. Next thing I know, I’m driving one of the golf carts & keeping track of their many bets – on every hole. They needed an accountant instead of me but I managed…

All I can say is that I had one of the best times of my life. I got to witness some world class golf, laughed all day long & witnessed some world class hustling! I had a blast & was sad when it got too dark to play anymore…The five of us retired to the clubhouse for dinner & when we finally got back to the pool room, I got a pretty healthy piece of the action for my efforts!

That was the beginning of my friendship with Dave. He was a gold mine of information to sweat a match with & a pretty smart bettor – always seeming to have the right side. He was one of the guys I always consulted before making any bets on the matches or action.

Here’s a photo of the Dave I remember…this one was taken by Elizabeth Holmes at the ’89 Sands Regency in Reno, NV. As usual, he finished high – coming in fourth at this one.

RIP, my friend…

Mary Kenniston

Attachments

• Dave Bollman - '89 Sands Regency X - Reno, NV - Photo by E Holmes.jpg
    Dave Bollman - '89 Sands Regency X - Reno, NV - Photo by E Holmes.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 428

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Very sorry to hear this, I never really met Dave but my late friend John would talk with him every year at the Open I am pretty sure they would talk about Black Boars cues. May he rest in peace.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Great Loss !

I knew Dave what a great guy and player, he will be missed by many.

I also have met his daughter and my condolences go out to her.

It just wouldn't seem right to walk back into the tournament room

at Cue Masters, and not see Dave in his shop.

Truly a great player, a fine person, and a gentleman.

RIP my friend...

Last edited:

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll never forget the Sands Regency event Dave was playing in where he was matched up against a west coast player. Whenever Dave won a game, the small crowd that was watching barely gave him any applause for his clean shooting. But when his opponent squeaked in a win, the crowd gave Dave's opponent a huge round of applause. You could see Dave was perplexed over this but smiled all just the same. On Dave's next game win he surprised everybody in the room when he yells out, "I'm originally from California!" Next thing you know he had the crowd cheering loudly after every game win, and eventually after closing out the match. He showed a lot of personallity that day and people were responding to it.

RIP Mr Bollman

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a shock,,didn't know Dave was ill. Played him many times back during the 70's , and as stated above,,he was always courteous in his demeanor. The big Ronoake Virginia
One Pocket Tournies that are mentioned here from time to time,,with lot's of big names attending Dave Bollman,,won the first one they had...RIP Sir

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Last saw him play at the 1989 US Open 9-ball. Never met him.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
House Man

A few of these threads reminded me of some of thee Great House Men. There were a few rooms in the states that were lucky to have this going on. Dave was at the top of this endeavor, and his Golf demeanor shone thru during match play and his work. I've run into another....Mike Betts of Magoos in Tulsa OK who also was TaLL, helpful and a Good player RIP. Then there was a black guy, in Wichita KS, wonderful man, played jam up, probably still does if he's standing, I think that place was Terrys. One side dark/old school pool room, other side, ten bar boxes in a row, perfect setup. Great house men are not easy to find, I know there are a few others, especially in the northern states, WI/MN for sure. These men are good for business, and not easy to find.

Last edited:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beyond his golfing ability, Dave also played on the same U. of Iowa frosh basketball team with NBA Hall of Famer Connie Hawkins! Dave told me, "Our routine was to play one-on-one after practice, and he'd just kick my ass all over the gym. Then we'd go to the Student Union to play pool, so I could redeem myself." Road players were coming to the University to play Dave even back then!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beyond his golfing ability, Dave also played on the same U. of Iowa frosh basketball team with NBA Hall of Famer Connie Hawkins! Dave told me, "Our routine was to play one-on-one after practice, and he'd just kick my ass all over the gym. Then we'd go to the Student Union to play pool, so I could redeem myself." Road players were coming to the University to play Dave even back then!

Dave was a man of many talents, and best of all he never boasted about them. One of the highlights of my annual trip to Norfolk was visiting Dave at the poolroom. Two years ago he fixed Dennis Orcollo's tip for him and also refused to take any money from me.

Yep, in the old days every poolroom had a "houseman" and he was like the manager of the room. He had to know how to do everything and play good too!

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Dave pretty much around the same time I met Barry Behrman over 25 years ago when I was a teenager. It's been pretty cool reading some of these stories about Dave, I knew he had been a pro golfer. He was always over the years such a nice person, always talking to everyone. I enjoyed watching his play in the US Open every year & pulling for him. My condolences to his daughter, the rest of his family, & his friends; may he rest in peace.

liakos

Banned
Herre's a video of Earl playing Dave in 1990 in Lexington. Grady and Billy are commentating. Check it out ---> FINALS MATCH

Rip in Dave!!! I've never met Dave or Grady, but every time I see or hear Grady, I feel a little sad! That man has helped me out so much and he doesn't even know it! To all of our friends and idols who have passed, may you all be knockin em in center pocket!!!

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Bollman, my friend, my mentor, my 1 pocket partner passed away today from cancer. My prayers go out to his daughter, Maryann, who was Dave's pride and joy.

View attachment 307506
I never knew Dave personally, but met him in 2005 at his pro shop, when I was at the US Open that year. Two guys I knew from Colorado were looking to buy shafts that were longer than usual and we were told to go see Dave. He had a very large number of shafts hanging from the ceiling in different stages of curing. My friends got their shafts and were very happy with them.
The thing besides Dave being so cordial was there was not a speck of sawdust in the place. Never before or after have I seen a Pro shop that clean.
RIP, Dave.