John Schmidt - How high will he go?

How high will he go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think he can do it, him and a bunch of others. Anyone who can run 100-150 probably has the knowledge and skill to run 1000. They just need to be in stroke, feeling good, breaking well, full of energy, getting lucky, and not getting unlucky... but getting all those things together in a certain time frame, on live video? That might be like winning the lottery. Anyone can win!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he can do it, him and a bunch of others. Anyone who can run 100-150 probably has the knowledge and skill to run 1000. They just need to be in stroke, feeling good, breaking well, full of energy, getting lucky, and not getting unlucky... but getting all those things together in a certain time frame, on live video? That might be like winning the lottery. Anyone can win!!

It doesn't work that way.

I've run 100 several times and have *zero* chance of running 500 and will probably never even see 200. Here's what JS had to say on this several years ago:

"...something to remember running 200 is not twice as hard as running 100 its 100 times harder and more unlikely.also running 400 is not twice as hard as 200 its 100 times harder and more unlikely..."

Lou Figueroa

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that most of the time even in exhibitions they stopped at the end of the game -- the pro had limited time and only occasionally went for a record. The longest exhibition run I've seen in person was Pete Margo's 198 (June 1980, Brewster, NY) which ended on a horrible scratch (imagine that!) and I think he would have continued for as many as possible but I think he had unlimited time and he was there as a favor to the owner.

I would add Eufemia to Cranfield and Schmidt.

Here is a fun story of how one exhibition ended at the end of announced length. The original poster is taking a vacation so I hope he doesn't mind if I repost....

CARAS RUNS 100

It was a bitter cold, windy night in Ithaca, New York in the fall of 1948. At the Student Union in Cornell University a crowd of about 60 students and a few faculty had gathered in a large room containing a dozen pool tables to see an exhibition by Jimmy Caras. A freezing Canadian winter wind was hurtling down Lake Cayuga and across the campus as Jimmy arrived with his “manager,” both wearing heavy coats, scarfs, gloves, hats – the works.
The manager made the following startling announcement in a loud voice: “Mr. Caras will now run 100 balls.” You could hear a distinct murmur spread across the room. Meanwhile Jimmy has removed his coat and is screwing his cue together, still not saying a word. I figured that he just didn’t speak English which is why the manager had made that announcement. A hush then descended on the crowd.
I don’t think the whole thing took more than 15 minutes. He never took a practice shot – just broke the balls and started running. The manager counted off the score and announced the next ball to be pocketed, as they used to do in tournaments. When Caras hit 100 the whole place burst into wild applause. He bowed to the crowd, unscrewed the cue, put it into its case and disappeared into the night, again without saying a word. A really amazing moment for all of us neophytes who had never seen anything like it.

John White

Thanks for posting that, Bob. My father passed three years ago to the day, so it was nice to read this. It kind of brings him back to life, if only for a few moments. He always enjoyed writing about his interactions with Mosconi and other experiences.

This reminds me of the time when my brother played saxophone for the Michigan marching band back in the 80's. The band was generally considered the best in the country and was run military style in practice. On the field, it really showed. My father wrote a letter to the band director describing his first day watching the game with his son in the band, complete with descriptions of the drunk guy in the crowd spilling his drink all over everybody. I guess we would call it a trip report today. Anyway, before band practice one day the director starts reading this long letter to the band and about 2 minutes into it my brother realizes who wrote it, and shrank into his chair, lol.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't work that way.

I've run 100 several times and have *zero* chance of running 500 and will probably never even see 200. Here's what JS had to say on this several years ago:

"...something to remember running 200 is not twice as hard as running 100 its 100 times harder and more unlikely.also running 400 is not twice as hard as 200 its 100 times harder and more unlikely..."

Lou Figueroa

You might even say it is easier to snap a pic of a black hole 65 million light years away than it is to run 526! (I've been on "vacation" so some of my references are a bit dated, kind of like a convict seeing a cell phone for the first time).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow. I picked Filler to win the US Open 9-ball and John to run 526+ in this thread. Is this enough to erase years and years of futility in making predictions on the forum, or perhaps, will it take even more for me to redeem myself?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
John is a good friend of mine and I'm pulling for him to break the record. Him breaking the record will probably make my poster of Mosconi setting the record worthless. I have number 98 of 526.
John, you will owe me one of your posters when you break the record.

View attachment 515314

Frank had some faith in Schmitty gettin’ it done

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Wow. I picked Filler to win the US Open 9-ball and John to run 526+ in this thread. Is this enough to erase years and years of futility in making predictions on the forum, or perhaps, will it take even more for me to redeem myself?

What you've done, Mr. Need-To-Fall-Into-A-Xerox-Machine, is set the bar so incredibly high that you have set yourself up for future continual, abject failure. My humble advice? Quit while you're ( wayyyyyyyyyyyy ) ahead and gracefully retire from the predictions game. Bask in your well-deserved ( and, frankly, eternal! ) notoriety here on the forums and live life to the fullest.

Jus sayin'... :grin-square:

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What you've done, Mr. Need-To-Fall-Into-A-Xerox-Machine, is set the bar so incredibly high that you have set yourself up for future continual, abject failure. My humble advice? Quit while you're ( wayyyyyyyyyyyy ) ahead and gracefully retire from the predictions game. Bask in your well-deserved ( and, frankly, eternal! ) notoriety here on the forums and live life to the fullest.

Jus sayin'... :grin-square:

Very sound advice right there!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So what did he end up running? Is it going to be somewhere archived?

There are a few other big threads on this. 626 is the final unofficial count. They video’s it as they have all the high runs this month. They have uploaded the highest runs on his Youtube Channel: mr400 schmidt

I don’t know if this will uploaded or if they want to sell it. I think the raw footage should be uploaded, and I’d like to see them make an edited version with commentary for purchase.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
i just hope that Mr.600 can monetize this historic moment!!!

A lot of hard work and years of trying, did it make it on ESPN news or any media outlets?

kd

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
To preserve it's monetary value, while making it available, John Schmidt can upload a low quality version (SD) and reserve the higher quality (HD) for purchase.

There are a few other big threads on this. 626 is the final unofficial count. They video’s it as they have all the high runs this month. They have uploaded the highest runs on his Youtube Channel: mr400 schmidt

I don’t know if this will uploaded or if they want to sell it. I think the raw footage should be uploaded, and I’d like to see them make an edited version with commentary for purchase.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
To preserve it's monetary value, while making it available, John Schmidt can upload a low quality version (SD) and reserve the higher quality (HD) for purchase.

i would like him to add commentary to the video and get a group of top 14.1 players together to discuss the run shot by shot.

it will cost a little money, but well worth it to the consumer

KD

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you sir!!