Ultimate Tip Tool

Vmax

Registered
Can anyone here give me a personal review on the ultimate tip tool? A friend said a couple of local billiard suppliers told him they would not recommend because of numerous damages to the ferrules brought to them.

I ask because it appears to me it would be a good multi functional product. Appreciate any feedback on this matter...

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i found that using it was awquard and i had to be very carefull to not damage the ferrule
as for shaping i find all the dome shaped taper tools like the willard or this ones shaping feature where you put the tip into the bowl of the shaper and spin the cue stick
again cumbersome to use
i really like the last4ever tip tool
although more expensive its easier to use for me and does a great job
check it out
go thru the site and watch the videos on how to use the tip tool
good luck
http://www.last4ever.com/

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"i really like the last4ever tip tool"

X's two.

The Last4ever tip tool has ended up being the only tool in my cue case. I believe I have every tip tool known to man at home, LOL, but this is the perfect one for me. (Pro dime radius model)

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
If not used correctly when burnishing the sides of the tip, because of the leverage, you can pop the tip quite easily. The abrasives wear out and need replacing often.

Can anyone here give me a personal review on the ultimate tip tool? A friend said a couple of local billiard suppliers told him they would not recommend because of numerous damages to the ferrules brought to them.

I ask because it appears to me it would be a good multi functional product. Appreciate any feedback on this matter...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-DANGER Will Robinson-....................

Pure junk. Will f*^k-up your shaft/ferrule. If you have to do your own stuff spend the $$ and buy Porper tools.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
are you going to buy it??
if so give us a review
if not
what did you buy and a review
we all benefit when we tell of our experience with a product
:)

Vmax

Registered
are you going to buy it??
if so give us a review
if not
what did you buy and a review
we all benefit when we tell of our experience with a product
:)

Yes, I agree! for $12 I will give it a spin. Give me a few weeks and I will post my 1st review. Then, I shall post another when I have had a chance to use the product over a longer time period to help me verify if any damage or quality issues appeared.

mr.vmax

Tim's Cues And Supplies
Silver Member
I like the tool but don't use it for the mushroom or near the ferrule

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Ultimate almost exclusively for a couple of years. Just got the Last 4 Ever tip tool and I think the Last 4 Ever is the best tool there is. No question in my mind. I don't think I will ever need another tip tool.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have used Ultimate almost exclusively for a couple of years. Just got the Last 4 Ever tip tool and I think the Last 4 Ever is the best tool there is. No question in my mind. I don't think I will ever need another tip tool.

i wish the op could read between the lines on my endorsement
good choce philly
(now you have to come to florida to play me and frank 1p ...inside joke)
i look forward to the ops review
but i will alway be a last4ever tip tool guy
:smile:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
now you have to come to florida to play me and frank 1p :

We will pick you up at WPB. Take you to lunch. Find a room with some Diamonds...and away we go. Fun city.

Tip tool..ditto on the last4ever

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We will pick you up at WPB. Take you to lunch. Find a room with some Diamonds...and away we go. Fun city.

Tip tool..ditto on the last4ever

Thanks for the invite. I'd enjoy it. We'll see. I am still working. Just switched to a Triangle tip that was pressed. The tip tool works great on a non layered tip. Just one pass on the dime shaper and it roughs up in seconds. Still like the Ultimate Tip Tool burnisher though.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just switched to a Triangle tip that was pressed.

Pressed tip?.. is it dampened and pressed in a vice. Is some kind of jig needed or simply press the bare tip in a vice.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pressed tip?.. is it dampened and pressed in a vice. Is some kind of jig needed or simply press the bare tip in a vice.

I believe it was simply pressed in a vice for a couple of hours to prevent mushrooming. It also hardens an already hard tip. Takes chalk beautifully. I am getting used to it now as the hit is a little different than I am used to. Got tired of working the layered tips and having them separate as you get down to a layer. The triangle costs about a buck. Take that Kamui!

Vmax

Registered
Follow Up Review for BB

Ultimate Tip Tool 5-1 Multi Use contains a nickel and dime radius shaper, burnisher, scuff rougher and mushroom trimmer. It’s like carrying a Swiss army knife.

The following comments are based upon my own experience with the “Original Ultimate Cue Tip Tool” I recently purchased.

My first impression when the item arrived was it appeared smaller than what I expected. Dimensions: (3-1/4”L x 1.0”W x 3/8” H) Weight 1.4 oz. The metal frame is solid with sandpaper shape configurations into multiple pocket indenters that range from 36 grit for tip radius and 60 for the mushroom removal. By just using the weight of the shaft these materials should last a very long time with replacements available.

First! I read the instructions for the proper use of the product. I mention this because of the following statements listed below.

Since I heard some reviews about this tool scratching ferrules and popping off tips I took my time in a well-lit room to examine and try each of the tools out. It appeared there was a slight difference in the shaft radius for the mushroom sanding. Choosing the wrong radius side could cause the ferrule to get scratched. I did not see this covered in the instructions.

By placing the radius of the tool level on the end of the shaft and holding up to the light; look for 1/64” daylight clearance off the ferrule and you will have the correct side. I also recommend placing one layer of blue painter tape on the tip edge on the ferrule for extra protection before attempting you’re first mushroom sanding. This procedure is not that complicated, just need to be using the right radius side for clearance before you begin.

Note: Suggest trying this tool on some house cues before they carry them off to the bone yard for practice.

I could see how the tip could be popped off while using the burnishing tool as well. By pushing the tip inside the fork area and pinching the fork close while rotating the shaft you could apply too much forward force inside this tapered end that could cause this to happen. However; the instructions tell you to use a low amount of pressure to accomplish this task and it seemed to work fine for me.

Also, I would like to add a comment on tapping, hitting or striking the tip harshly to rough or penetrate the leather. This type of blunt force over-time can cause layer tips to separate or pop off. Applying a rolling pressure may be an alternate way to keep this damage from occurring.

There are certainly superior single function products for each of the things this tool does; (I owned a few) however, they cost more money to buy separately and would take up additional storage space, not to mention keeping up with them as well.

If I run into any future issues good or bad about the Ultimate Tip Tool I will post them here. For $11.75 delivered from eBay I believe this product will serve most folks well if they just use it properly.

More reviews here:
https://www.pooldawg.com/ultimate-tip-tool

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used one for a few years with no problems. The trick for me is to tape the ferrule first before using the tool, to avoid any stray scratches when either sanding the side of the tip or using the burnish tool. However, it's easier to use a sharp pocket knife to trim any excessive mushrooming first, then use the tool to smooth any knife marks, going lightly. One side is more offset than the other and will leave a tiny amount of overhang. The key is to not aggressively remove overhang with this tool. The tip shapers work just fine as well as the tip scuff tool. I actually prefer a tip that borders on slick, and medium to hard tips, so I need to lightly scuff quite a bit to hold chalk.