Figuring out your average

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I just had an idea as to how to keep an average between two top players, each player receives 10 ball in hand breakshots per day (playing 14.1 of course.) At the end of 10 days each player competing under exactly the same conditions gets his (u guessed it) average, if this were done 5 times in one year the best average would begin to show up. Of course there will be some who might be able to bring out there creative cheat side, but if both players had honor (very rare) it would be fun. The only variation would be each player can use his or her own ball cleaning agent -wax or non wax.

The object balls can be changed out and replaced with a fresh set only two times per hour, other than that pocket measurements and new cloth would be identicle for both players. It would be fun to try it for at least ten days I think, that is if we had a way to keep the crooks out. What do yall think about my idea?

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had an idea as to how to keep an average between two top players, each player receives 10 ball in hand breakshots per day (playing 14.1 of course.) At the end of 10 days each player competing under exactly the same conditions gets his (u guessed it) average, if this were done 5 times in one year the best average would begin to show up. Of course there will be some who might be able to bring out there creative cheat side, but if both players had honor (very rare) it would be fun. The only variation would be each player can use his or her own ball cleaning agent -wax or non wax.

The object balls can be changed out and replaced with a fresh set only two times per hour, other than that pocket measurements and new cloth would be identicle for both players. It would be fun to try it for at least ten days I think, that is if we had a way to keep the crooks out. What do yall think about my idea?
fantastic idea, i'm sure someone would ruin it eventually, but till then would be awesome. would add some excitement to practice!

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
14.1 averages

Ok.Danny it sounds like an unnecessary marathon and some sort of challenge going out here.I would like to see any and all matches for league players and also pros in the straight pool tourney have there average posted after each match they play and I feel it would help average players try harder to improve their game.As for cleaning and waxing the object balls or cue ball at anytime time I am extremely opposed to this unless there are severe marks or lint or hair on a ball as it creates advantages for the slide or roll of the balls and o fcourse the balls seperating from the rack easier.

I personally have run over 200 balls about 20 times now and over 100 balls about 400 times now and Im proud to say I have never polished the balls after I started any run to gain any advantage to get higher runs.That situation to me would be alot like this guy Sasha who altered the balls on video to make a higher run because his ability could not proceed him any farther in higher runs or in this case your talking about higher averages.As always I tell it as I see it.

Bobby Chamberlain

sausage

Banned
if we had a way to keep the crooks out. What do yall think about my idea?

i think that most of the "crooks" have been exposed and that the members here by-in large can be trusted. it's a great idea but i won't be able to participate until i move and get another table.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Ok.Danny it sounds like an unnecessary marathon and some sort of challenge going out here.I would like to see any and all matches for league players and also pros in the straight pool tourney have there average posted after each match they play and I feel it would help average players try harder to improve their game.As for cleaning and waxing the object balls or cue ball at anytime time I am extremely opposed to this unless there are severe marks or lint or hair on a ball as it creates advantages for the slide or roll of the balls and o fcourse the balls seperating from the rack easier.

I personally have run over 200 balls about 20 times now and over 100 balls about 400 times now and Im proud to say I have never polished the balls after I started any run to gain any advantage to get higher runs.That situation to me would be alot like this guy Sasha who altered the balls on video to make a higher run because his ability could not proceed him any farther in higher runs or in this case your talking about higher averages.As always I tell it as I see it.

Bobby Chamberlain

they clean snooker balls in middle of runs in snooker to not have run end.
i think if its the same for everybody its fair.

i would play you that way bobby and we both can take say 100 innings and clean the balls whenever.

or i would play where we cant clean then once we start as long as its the same for everyone.

i think danny brings up a good way to play.

anyway 20 runs over 200 pretty sporty sir.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
they clean snooker balls in middle of runs in snooker to not have run end.
i think if its the same for everybody its fair.

i would play you that way bobby and we both can take say 100 innings and clean the balls whenever.

or i would play where we cant clean then once we start as long as its the same for everyone.

i think danny brings up a good way to play.

anyway 20 runs over 200 pretty sporty sir.
John simply stated I was commenting on Dannys comments and certainly pointed no fingers.At no point in any world 14.1 tourney at anytime have they pulled the balls to wax or polish them.We are talking about 14.1 not snooker.All the high runs from the past Mosconi,Lassiter and others never had that advantage so why should we.Once a match or run starts there should be no changing or altering of anything with the table or balls at all.As this thread goes on I think it will become the Danny And Smitty show again.I in no way was challenging anyone however if you or Danny or any human wants to come to my area and play on my diamond bring you dough and try me.Now its a challenge to anyone.

Last edited:

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John simply stated I was commenting on Dannys comments and certainly pointed no fingers.At no point in any world 14.1 tourney at anytime have they pulled the balls to wax or polish them.We are talking about 14.1 not snooker.All the high runs from the past Mosconi,Lassiter and others never had that advantage so why should we.Once a match or run starts there should be no changing or altering of anything with the table or balls at all.As this thread goes on I think it will become the Danny And Smitty show again.I in no way was challenging anyone however if you or Danny or any human wants to come to my area and play on my diamond bring you dough and try me.Now its a challenge to anyone.

well ill come play u.i did not realize u thought u could play me or i would have asked u along time ago to play.
ill play you some say 500 point games for 5000 a game and we can put up say 4 games.
it will be the smitty and worldpro show.

my schedule is wide open.if u want to have money posted by room owner i could be there in a few days.

i like your style i had no idea you would play me even for big money.

i dont know if 5000 a game is to much or to little for u ,just let me know what you have in mind.im open for suggestion bobby. waiting to hear from u.

sausage

Banned
if this match takes place, i'd like a piece of the action. no disrespect to you, bobby but my money is on schmidt.

danny; sorry that your thread got hijacked. maybe the moderator could move the challenge to the "action room".

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I will play

I have respect for your game Bobby, but I think it's your choice who you would rather play first (Schmidt "the nit" or myself.) I can probably fly directly to your home room, I do think even on your home table that you might need to pack a lunch Mr. Chamberlain. Please pm me about the details of when you would like to play, I am allways looking for action playing Straight Pool, if I don't receive a pm from you then I will have my answer as to whether we will truly play. I can bet real high or just moderate action also Bobby so please let me know in a pm OK. I just enjoy truly competing rather than typing about it. I am a man of my word and if I say I will be there -I will with bells ' jinglin'.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
We got a bet??

This is starting to get interesting.

Maybe we'll get a couple of long matches by good 14.1 players.

I had heard that BC was looking to play Sigel a while back and with all the hundreds and two hundreds he runs, who knows what might happen.:grin:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
"Receptionist.... please hold my calls for a while...."

bowlofpopcorn.jpg

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hussa,

hmmm :) Where ever you gonna play this *competition*- pls install a webcam or video cam. A game of 14/1 til 1000 or even several til 500 is so great- long ago i saw somethin like this.

Anyway- one of the best i saw in straight-pool for money was a best of seven match- each game til 125. Also very nice. 4:2 and it took *just* 8 hours. Something like this has to be in video :p

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Challenge?

Hussa,

hmmm :) Where ever you gonna play this *competition*- pls install a webcam or video cam.

I don't think this is happening. After the initial challenge by Bobby and the acceptance by John (and later by Danny), we haven't heard a peep out of Bobby.

Not that I blame him. With all due respect to Bobby's accomplishments, those two guys are 14.1 machines.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Nothing Wrong

Changing the subject for one second from the present one. I feel there is nothing wrong with wiping the rack of balls off before & during the game.
Why let some chalk build up on a ball that might cause a skid destroy a players run. Earl Strickland wiped the rack of balls off between every rack when he was in Dallas at C.J's and Earl won that million dollars for running 11 racks of 9-ball.
Just my opinion.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
No cleaning the balls....

Changing the subject for one second from the present one. I feel there is nothing wrong with wiping the rack of balls off before & during the game.
Why let some chalk build up on a ball that might cause a skid destroy a players run. Earl Strickland wiped the rack of balls off between every rack when he was in Dallas at C.J's and Earl won that million dollars for running 11 racks of 9-ball.
Just my opinion.
If there is something wrong with a ball like a piece of hair or a smudge I personally feel that it is fine to pick off the hair or wipe off the smudge.Taking the balls off of the table to polish them as far as i am concerned should never be done and also brushing and cleaning the felt falls under the same situation.

The balls however and table should be in tournament condition at the start of every match but never altered after that as this happening especially playing straight pool makes the game easier with the roll and slide of the balls and the break shots the balls seperate easier when this happens.This is my opinion also.Not 1 time have any of my high runs have I or anybody else altered the balls or table to create an advantage.