Figuring out your average

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

If there is something wrong with a ball like a piece of hair or a smudge I personally feel that it is fine to pick off the hair or wipe off the smudge.Taking the balls off of the table to polish them as far as i am concerned should never be done and also brushing and cleaning the felt falls under the same situation.

The balls however and table should be in tournament condition at the start of every match but never altered after that as this happening especially playing straight pool makes the game easier with the roll and slide of the balls and the break shots the balls seperate easier when this happens.This is my opinion also.Not 1 time have any of my high runs have I or anybody else altered the balls or table to create an advantage.

Very good opinion and your comments are right on. Thanks for commenting.
I am sure that in a World Tournament that the equipment is at the highest level that it can be. I would think that a clean table surface would last during a match unless one player was in love with baby power. I seen that happen before and the table looked like there was snow all over it.
Appreciate you helping out.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Very good opinion and your comments are right on. Thanks for commenting.
I am sure that in a World Tournament that the equipment is at the highest level that it can be. I would think that a clean table surface would last during a match unless one player was in love with baby power. I seen that happen before and the table looked like there was snow all over it.
Appreciate you helping out.

I agree with Wrld Pro also, just on a personal note be carefull when a player asks u if he he or she may wipe the cue ball down with a towel. There is a move there where they have silicone or turtle wax on the towel, certain players (I wont mention the name - cause he is not worth it) will use the waxed towel move. This causes the cue ball to draw and slide a great deal more and so I have learned from experience to be very suspect of anyone wanting to wipe the cue ball down with their own personal towel.
When I asked the particular player in question about if he had any wax on his towel his first immediate response was no, but when I asked if I could inspect the towel he said OK maybe I do have a lttle wax on this towel. I did not let him slide away without a fight and he knows it, plus if u let them wipe the ball down it changes playing conditions dramaticly. Let the ref wipe down the white ball and no one else is allowed to tamper with playing conditions, just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
I'd like to add something ...

Changing the subject for one second from the present one. I feel there is nothing wrong with wiping the rack of balls off before & during the game.
Why let some chalk build up on a ball that might cause a skid destroy a players run. Earl Strickland wiped the rack of balls off between every rack when he was in Dallas at C.J's and Earl won that million dollars for running 11 racks of 9-ball.
Just my opinion.

If there is something wrong with a ball like a piece of hair or a smudge I personally feel that it is fine to pick off the hair or wipe off the smudge.Taking the balls off of the table to polish them as far as i am concerned should never be done and also brushing and cleaning the felt falls under the same situation.

The balls however and table should be in tournament condition at the start of every match but never altered after that as this happening especially playing straight pool makes the game easier with the roll and slide of the balls and the break shots the balls seperate easier when this happens.This is my opinion also.Not 1 time have any of my high runs have I or anybody else altered the balls or table to create an advantage.

I'm going to agree with Mr. Chamberlain here that on a ball-by-ball basis that removal of excess foreign material (hair, pocket-scrud, etc.) is "ok".

What I'd like to add has to do with inherent differences between any short-rack game like 9-ball (or even games played with all 15 for that matter) and 14.1 continuous is the operative word "continuous".

The game was designed to always have (at least) 2 balls in play at any time; the white and a random numbered.
With all other games, all balls can be treated to a cleaning without affecting the status quo 'state' of play; meaning all 16 can be cleaned at the same time before the start of play on a truly new rack, whereas with 14.1 is special in this regard such that at least 1/8 of the balls would be in a dirty state or need to be disturbed.

However, I think an emaculate playing surface and polished balls before start of play is great for enhanced concentration and thus, conducive to good play.

-Ivan