What things have you done to really improve your pool game?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning just what the question ask you! Have you done a lot of little things that helped? Or a few big things that helped your pool game a lot? Your opinion is wanted and needed, as it may help some of the AZB family members learn something to help improve their pool game. One thing about helping people, you cannot help them if they know everything in pool already!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alot of practice and bought a Predator 314-2 a couple of months ago, seems to help the long shots. But nothing takes the place of practicing shots you have troble with over and over.---Smitty

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Practiced like crazy. I kind of traveled a lot to practice with much stronger guys. To learn from them. I ate every single available book to earn knowledge to get as fast as possible again to the table to work on the new earned knowledge.
Over a time amount about 2-3 years i played every weekend in a tournament or league. At this time i had about maybe 7-8 weekends *without billiards*.

table time and learning was the key- and of course the expirience by get beaten from much better players. And *hearing and understanding* what they told me. No matter if it was psychologic or physical (fundamentals).

Shortcut: To have the passion to be a student of the game.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
- stay down on your stroke
- not punch the CB... follow through
- keeping the angles so you can play "softer"
- last swing: pull your arm back slowly and softly
- playing guys who run out on every mistake you make :D (makes you look more on safeties etc) this is how i learned to rack properly during months n years :thumbup:
- follow your pre shot routine
- chalk is not only for pussies :eek:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meaning just what the question ask you! Have you done a lot of little things that helped? Or a few big things that helped your pool game a lot? Your opinion is wanted and needed, as it may help some of the AZB family members learn something to help improve their pool game. One thing about helping people, you cannot help them if they know everything in pool already!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.
I'd say I learned aiming systems from Hal Houle and refined them for my game. But, apparently thats not allowed on the main forum. So, there'll be no help on that subject.

Freddie

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I bought a pool table. Gotta have access to a table if you want to practice and play. Also took lessons from Stan Shuffet. His analysis revealed an incomplete follow through, which I worked on correcting. I now am much more accurate and get much better cue ball movement and control with less effort. Stroke it, don't poke it!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Ten Keys to Success

Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

The first important thing I learned was to be observant. Watch every aspect of top players' games and imitate them.

Followed by learning to execute each shot in proper sequence.

Next came playing position for angles.

Then came realizing the importance of drills.

Followed by learning to "pose".

Then accepting the concept of defensive play.

Next came seeing that shot making and position are not separate endeavors.

Followed by seeing that offense and defense are not separate endeavors.

Learning to use spin only when necessary.

Moving from a closed bridge to an open bridge for most shots.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

xiao.wend

Registered
The first important thing I learned was to be observant. Watch every aspect of top players' games and imitate them.

Followed by learning to execute each shot in proper sequence.

Next came playing position for angles.

Then came realizing the importance of drills.

Followed by learning to "pose".

Then accepting the concept of defensive play.

Next came seeing that shot making and position are not separate endeavors.

Followed by seeing that offense and defense are not separate endeavors.

Learning to use spin only when necessary.

Moving from a closed bridge to an open bridge for most shots.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

So i should use an open bridge for most shot ? What about if im originally use open bridge ? Should i do the opposite ?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drank a lot of "Hanks" water.
The side effect was that it made me play faster because I always had to go to the bath room. :ignore:

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
learned cte; the preshot alignment has helped alot
continued to work on my stroke: putting a pause in my backstroke has helped tremendously
found out how important it is to have a good bridge
shooting softer; somehow good things seem to happen when you shoot easy :)
read everything in site; tried everything and put the hours in on the table

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I think the one thing that has helped improve my game was when I stopped playing people who could beat me.
I started playing double amputees, triple amputees, and one time I played a guy who had no arms or legs whatsoever. Tough match, that one, he damn near beat me.
One day I grabbed a little old lady who was standing outside the pool hall at the bus stop, brought her inside, shoved a cue stick in her hands and said, "It's your break." She ran seven on me, then missed a little crosser. Luckily I was able to get out on her. Another close one.
One Pocket's a tought game. You gotta play smart. :smile:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Open bridge

So i should use an open bridge for most shot ? What about if im originally use open bridge ? Should i do the opposite
?

I'd have to see your open and closed bridges to make any kind of assessment.

The open bridge allows a better view of your targets, particularly the cue tip on pull back. If you're not getting your chin down near the cue, this is not quite so important. I teach lowering your chin to as close to the cue as is comfortable for you.

I (and many others) use the closed bridge for power strokes and on the break. On these shots I don't bend over as far as for the majority of shots. The slightly upright stance allows for more natural follow through, and the closed bridge helps keep that follow through from going astray.

The nice thing about it is that after a while, your choice will be automatic.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little things and 1 big thing

The biggest thing I did was lose 200+ pounds! It's much easier to play now but the downside is, she got the house, lol!
Seriously, for many years I had no heart or passion for the game. It just left me sometime in the 90s. Not playing seriously for 11 or 12 years, sometimes going months without ever hitting a ball, was probably the best thing for my game. When I started playing again last fall I found the heart and passion I had lost. Since then, I have put in many hours of table time, stayed in action and practiced. If I don't feel like playing, I don't play. It all just seemed to come together. I can't put my finger on any one particular thing. It all just suddenly seemed to come together. I'm in my mid 40s now and playing the best pool of my life! Every day I'm still noticing small improvements. I just wish this had happened 25 years ago...

Owins222

Registered
Tempo is everything these days!

A friend of mine talked to me about slowing down between shots, walking around the table, looking at the shot from all angles and making sure that I knew what my plan was before I got down on the shot. Leaving nothing but the execution of the shot at hand. I believe it is important to treat every shot like it could be your last shot and don't take any shots for granted thinking that they are simple, because sometimes those are the very shots that will send you back to your seat.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The biggies for me have been:
- practice, practice, practice.
- actually focus and aim every shot ... even the "easy" shots.
- follow the generally-recommended stroke "best practices" advice religiously.
- learn and fully understand all of the "secrets" and "gems" of pool.
Regards,
Dave

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read and listened to people who know more about this game than I do. Ratta(Ingo) viewed a video of me shooting some shots, he noticed I didn't have a eye pattern and told me how it works. I created one and this alone made me make more balls. Being stubborn I have spent literally two months creating my own version of Ekke's SEE-system. I started out reading his conclusion on how to pocket balls. Tried his way of thinking for angles 0-22.5 and created my own lines for the other angles. His train of thought fit me and my game.

These reference lines, stepping in to shot line has really worked out great. Two months of paying attention to what happens for certain angles and reference lines has finally paid of. Sure it has been a bit painful missing a lot of shots but I have been consistent and this is really upping my game.

I'm really saving alot of energy these days. I look at the shot, recognize the angle, determine what kind of shot I'm shooting, step into the for me correct reference/shot line use my eye pattern and shoot. No unnecessary aiming process everything seems easy. Not everything but you know what I mean.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The major thing I did that gave me a big jump was basically an attitude change.

I decided I wanted to play good, correct pool, rather than just beat up D-players with my bad C-player stroke. It meant working on parts of my game that were broken, unfamiliar, or uncomfortable.

I made a decision to hit every ball correctly, even if it meant missing the shot or losing the game.

Specific examples are here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=1736578&postcount=20

I will also say the pause helped me learn how to make tough longer shots, and helped me diagnose bad stroke habits.