Origin of Gold Crown Model (Brunswick)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to the Brunswick website, the table had been 'under development' since 1958.

Design patent# 192,086
filed Aug. 23, 1961
serial #66,471
patent granted Jan. 16, 1962.

Designers:
Richard G. Reineman of Covina, CA
George H. Hart of Chicago, IL
George E. Schaefer of Muskegon Heights, MI
Assignors to Brunswick Corp.

Term of Patent: 14 years

patents

read full patent here

If you own one and would like to show it off, feel free to post your pics :cool:

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
After The Hustler came out in 1961, a lot of new rooms opened up. They always had Gold Crowns and carpets on the floor, were bright and sunny, and often had colorful cloth on the tables - not the usual green. These were usually called family billiard centers and the hope was that Dad, Mom, Buddy and Sis would all be playing pocket billiards together. As a rule, these rooms didn't last long.

The positive for me was that when a new room opened Mosconi or Caras would put on an exhibition. I got to see Mosconi twice and Caras once.

jacksmith1

I have a lot of research on the last day, I do not understand some of the things a lot of different versions - Ⅰ, Ⅱ, Ⅲ, Ⅳ.
Or at least, that the advice - you only have to see the pictures?
I appreciate your help! Thank you!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Columbus they opened a group of 5 "Golden Eight Balls" with Gold Crowns they were very opulent compared to anything before, except the rooms in the upscale hotels.
In fact , they had Willie Hoppe 2 piece cues in them as house cues when they opened.
The cues lasted about 4 hours before escaping out the front and back doors.
There are still 2 rooms left I believe although they have deteriorated over the years.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gold Crown is by far my favorite table. I think it can give a Diamond table the eight and the break. Diamond tables just do not bank correctly

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gold Crown is by far my favorite table. I think it can give a Diamond table the eight and the break. Diamond tables just do not bank correctly

I agree, having owned 2 GC-Is and a Diamond. Sold the first GC and purchased a brand new, ordered from the factory, Diamond Pro (Red Label). Owned it for 12 years but never fell in love. Yup, the banking characteristics were an issue for me, didn't like the cushions either. Sold it. In 2013 I found a pristine, private owner GC-I which remains in my home and will forever more.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crowns at the airport

In the mid 60s there was a Gold Crown room on the mezzanine level of the L.C. Smith terminal at Detroit Metro Airport. It was done up Space Age looking very much like the photos posted above by Mr. Bond. The few times we had the money to pay the crazy rates, a couple of friends and I played there. Man, thought we'd gone to heaven...

asiasdad

Banned
The Gold Crowns' parents:

This is from the 1959-1960 catalog
when Brunswick was changing its corporate
name from Brunswick-Balke-Collender to
Brunswick Corporation.

59-60 inside front page.jpg

tusmadpark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My GC. so much fun and plays great. Still need to adjust the light.
6531356b31de03765f5715b8262aa199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After The Hustler came out in 1961, a lot of new rooms opened up. They always had Gold Crowns and carpets on the floor, were bright and sunny, and often had colorful cloth on the tables - not the usual green. These were usually called family billiard centers and the hope was that Dad, Mom, Buddy and Sis would all be playing pocket billiards together. As a rule, these rooms didn't last long.

The positive for me was that when a new room opened Mosconi or Caras would put on an exhibition. I got to see Mosconi twice and Caras once.
There was a place in Tulsa,Ok. called CueCity. It was a post-Hustler all GoldCrown "family" center. Gold cloth, gold chalk and lights in the ceiling not down low over each table. Was not an action place but i loved every minute i was there. They lasted over 30yrs before the son of the owner just wanted to do something else. Over 30 of their pristine GC 1's are scattered around Tulsa and surrounding areas.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The feet, how do they attach upwards to the wooden framework?
The legs have a large recessed pocket with a hole bored into them. A sleeve with a shoulder/flange and internal threads it set in each pocket. The feet are also threaded internally. A short length of maybe 5/8 inch threaded stock goes into the feet and into the sleeves which allows adjustment when spun as mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
a70b4955d5816be074ace50d874aca3f.jpg

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The "Cue & Cushion" rooms in Phila were absolutely beautiful. All GoldCrowns and Brunswick accessories. Had gold cloths. I always loved the look of the GC with a gold cloth and that's what I currently have.